Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
MillerJA9

How often do scouts/assistants get it wrong?

I know this will obviously depend on the attributes of the staff member in question, but has anyone ever found a scout to be completely off about a player?  Ie a low rating, particularly for PA, where in fact the player has then gone on to become much better than what the scout/assistant report has returned.

I say this as I take on a LLM (Vanarama South) game where I'm signing 16 year old regens who are available at the start of the game.  An example is two comparable regens in turns of attributes, one has a max 5 star predicted rating, another 4 star.  The potential 4* player has better striking attributes yet is rated the same for PA as the other regen, in fact his specifically attacking attributes are better than my first team players many years his senior.  From what I can gather, my assistant doesn't think he'll improve much beyond my first team strikers, something I'd be quite surprised about considering all the years of development ahead.  The only downside is his "unambitious" personality which I would hopefully shake off but no guarantees.  A real shame considering his promising attributes for the level.

I have always tended to show faith in my scouts, particularly high attribute ones, but with managing lower league and with my scouts having lower stats, is it wiser to trust in my own judgement?  Just wondering whether others have noticed how likely scouts are to make an error in judgement.

I think lower league is of such a standard where scouts can tell you wether or not a player is suited to the league or not and that's all I tend to go on. Even then I may ignore them entirely if a player is in good form. 

I mean I've won promotion from league 2 with a bunch of players that were considered good enough for the conference at best. I do feel the scouts and coaching staff could start to include form a lot more in their judgement rather than just basing things in attributes alone. 

A common theme I have in lower leagues is bringing in what is supposed to be an 'important first team player' but they never pick up form or adapt to my system and are often outperformed by players a couple steps below them, yet the coaches still insist he should be in the starting XI

My staff consistently tell me that some of my star performers (usually younger players) are only good enough for the league below; for instance, my top scoring striker, first pick RB, on loan LW who was in top 3 for PoTM 2-3 times. My best 'rating player ability' coach only has 13 though, so I take even his advice with a large pinch of salt

This is league two btw

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher
extra info

Happens, not as in 1 out of 10 times but it can happen say once or twice every season, i normally sign african players to add to my loan system, there was one with 1.5 CA and 3.5 PA, when i started looking for a team for him to loan, somehow he got a rotation offer from Porto i didn't care so much as they were willing to pay his wage and 120k per month, january comes and the guy is 2.5 CA and 4.5 PA im not sure if the game has a "vardy" system where some players gain PA if they perform well or they get it by random chance or they are just scouting mess ups, i have seem the tipical 5 PA to 4.5 PA a lot as a top team will find it VERY hard to get a player with 5 stars CA and im fine with scouts failing the black star as thats is kinda normal

4 hours ago, WorcesterLegend said:

Happens, not as in 1 out of 10 times but it can happen say once or twice every season, i normally sign african players to add to my loan system, there was one with 1.5 CA and 3.5 PA, when i started looking for a team for him to loan, somehow he got a rotation offer from Porto i didn't care so much as they were willing to pay his wage and 120k per month, january comes and the guy is 2.5 CA and 4.5 PA im not sure if the game has a "vardy" system where some players gain PA if they perform well or they get it by random chance or they are just scouting mess ups, i have seem the tipical 5 PA to 4.5 PA a lot as a top team will find it VERY hard to get a player with 5 stars CA and im fine with scouts failing the black star as thats is kinda normal

Players can't gain PA once they have been generated. What happens with the star rating is that the scouts determine how good they are now, and how good they predict they'll be based on their age, current ability, facilities. Given he got loaned to Porto and developed a lot in that time, the scouts revised their opinions on how good he might get in the future.