Sports Interactive Community
KI Heynckes

Will the Half Back ever be fixed?

I recently tried Frenkie De Jong as a Halfback, because I think seeing the DM drop between the CBs is one of the most beautiful motions on the football pitch. But longterm unfortunately it seems you can't play like this, as the movement of the Half Back still causes issues with the behaviour of the CBs. When he gets up the pitch the CBs stay wide like when he drops between them, so there's an enormous channel. Afaik this already occured in FM16 (?) and still it isn't fixed.

It really makes me sad that you can't replicate this movement at all basically.

That movement occurs when you use the WB strata (not role) instead of the FB strata. Considering it's been like this for a few FM releases and that SI hasn't changed this behaviour despite it being reported to them, it's only fair to assume that this is by design. I don't like it, but at this stage I cannot deny the potential intentionality of it. In plain words: I suppose this is what SI wants.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb BMNJohn:

That movement occurs when you use the WB strata (not role) instead of the FB strata. Considering it's been like this for a few FM releases and that SI hasn't changed this behaviour despite it being reported to them, it's only fair to assume that this is by design. I don't like it, but at this stage I cannot deny the potential intentionality of it. In plain words: I suppose this is what SI wants.

Really? I played in a 4-3-3 and I obviously only use the WB strata when playing 5-3-2 or 5-2-3.

3 hours ago, BMNJohn said:

Not true mate, works fine for me in my 4 at the back system that uses inverted wing backs in the fullback strata.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhyMe said:

Not true mate, works fine for me in my 4 at the back system that uses inverted wing backs in the fullback strata.

You made me launch the game to verify. It's same old, same old: CBs don't spread wide with FBs, but do with WBs.

3 hours ago, KI Heynckes said:

Really? I played in a 4-3-3 and I obviously only use the WB strata when playing 5-3-2 or 5-2-3.

Yes really, or I'm doing something terribly wrong. The first picture is with the FB strata, the second one is with the WB strata. I'm Freiburg on this picture; sorry that they come from two different halves. The fun thing is that the same player has the ball on both screenshots...

fm_2019-04-24_19-08-03.thumb.png.ee98908f55d856d169bf2cd416df49e3.png

fm_2019-04-24_19-05-25.thumb.png.215f60b92ff164b4507d39ac134086a4.png

Edited by BMNJohn

CBs naturally tend to (always) position themselves in the safest possible positions defense-wise. I guess that should explain the difference.

Posted (edited)

I think this movement is still wrong and problematic, so it's basically impossible to use this role, I think same things happen when you use a Libero in a back three when he drives forward.

WZZHWaR.jpg

The half-back (31) goes forward a bit, like a DM should, to give support, and still the CBs stay wide open, as when the DM drops between them, giving tons of space to the opposing striker. I play a simple Dutch 4-3-3 here.

ForBZZB.jpg

That's how they stand when you play with a normal DM instead of a HB. I think that's really annoying, as there is no other possibility to get the DM between the CB Movement as it is typical in like 80% of possession football playing teams.

Edited by KI Heynckes

The best thing anyone can do if they believe there is an issue is to open a thread in the ME Issues forum, describe the problem, upload match pkms (with timings of when the issue occurs) and let SI take a look. 

Don't upload screenshots, match pkms are required as that allows the Devs to look at the underlying code.  In match timings are also required as that helps the Devs go straight to the issue.

A thread was previously created for FM18 (or was it 17?) but I don't remember the outcome and opening a new thread may get things back on the radar if the problem remains.

Thank you for raising this again and providing some good screenshots.

Out of possession and even at times in possession the Half Back role behaves correctly.

The issue comes in transition. When attacking, as highlighted the CB's can sometimes leave too big of a gap, this is even more noticeable when there is an opposition attacker in between them. This leaves your defence more open and vunerable to counter attacks on the defensive transition when possession is lost.

We have logged this issue and will review this for FM20 and try and make the address the balance and close the gap.

shame its under review for FM 20 and not for this years.

Upside is as always they are listening.

Yeah you got to be very careful with how you use the halfback. It does a great job sometime when you want some aggressive coverage, but if you are playing a system with say  no other central midfielder in front of him, it becomes even more dangerous. He tends to get involved in a lot of my attacking transitions, when I don't really want him too, but once i understand this is how he is going to play, then i make sure the two central defenders behind him are top quality.

I like how we move the ball from defence to midfield, his movements are almost exactly what i want, its only the final transition when we are attacking the box that he ventures too far forward, that can be unnerving, but i always chalk that off to his role. If i want someone playing a lot more defensively i usually pick an anchorman. Its going to be challenging to fix thats for sure. Working perfectly well in most cases, but just in those final few moves. I don't envy the devs.