I don’t get as much time as I used to on FM these days as work 2 children to an ex and a new baby take up 99% of my time! And on fm19 I haven’t really gotten into a save and when I do get chance to play for an hour or so I just end up loading up a new game but have decided to start with Buxton in the Northern Premier League Premier division and want to build a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond tactic.

off the top of my head the roles I have set are as follows

GK-Def

DL FB-Auto

DC CBD

DC CBD

DR FB-Auto

DM DMD/DLP D

MC CM-s

MC- MEZ-s

AM- AM-s/SS-A

ST TM-a

ST- DLF-s

I don’t have many TI’s shorter passing and GK set to roll it out being all I can remember at the min

I am doing ok in friendlies and dominate shots having on average around 15-20 per game but only 2/3 goals max! We seem to play the ball about a lot in front of a packed defence can anyone help me as I would really like to make this save last me longer than a couple of days before loading a new save up

8 hours ago, beechy85 said:

I am doing ok in friendlies and dominate shots having on average around 15-20 per game but only 2/3 goals max! We seem to play the ball about a lot in front of a packed defence

And how many goals do you actually expect to score against a packed defense, especially with a lower league team like Buxton?

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

And how many goals do you actually expect to score against a packed defense, especially with a lower league team like Buxton?

This is what I am asking mate I am playing lower league teams in friendlies at the min I am asking for advice on how to unlock the defences more as we have plenty of shots and shots on target

Well, if you score goals (no matter how many) against very defensive sides, that means you've managed to unlock them. Right? 

Imagine the opposite situation. You play against a lot stronger team and they are attacking you relentlessly. Apart from avoiding a defeat, I guess you would look to prevent them from creating good chances as much as possible and instead forcing them to rely on long shots and/or set pieces as much as possible (given that you cannot expect to play on par with them).

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, if you score goals (no matter how many) against very defensive sides, that means you've managed to unlock them. Right? 

Imagine the opposite situation. You play against a lot stronger team and they are attacking you relentlessly. Apart from avoiding a defeat, I guess you would look to prevent them from creating good chances as much as possible and instead forcing them to rely on long shots and/or set pieces as much as possible (given that you cannot expect to play on par with them).

True mate but it just seems my AM gets the ball on the 18 yard line and there are 6-8 players crowding out and no options to pass to then we lose the ball.

But as you say I’m winning the friendlies mostly I will just have to keep watching games and try and tweak things in game and see how I go on

34 minutes ago, beechy85 said:

But as you say I’m winning the friendlies mostly I will just have to keep watching games and try and tweak things in game and see how I go on

That's the best approach definitely :thup:

Because I - or anyone - may give you some general suggestions, but we don't know your team, much less what happens on the pitch in your matches, so any advice could well prove ineffective (if not detrimental).

I, for example, also sometimes use the narrow 442 diamond in my Man Utd save, but Utd and your Buxton are totally different, meaning that what works for me is not necessarily going to work for you.

Yea I will keep watching games mate my strikers who I started with are good for this level and I have signed some good MC’s I might try and slow my tempo to let support players get up with play and set one of my strikers to move into channels to hopefully pull a defender or 2 out of position to make a bit of space for my other striker and AM

thank you for the help @Experienced Defender I will carry on watching matches and try and see how my team plays and what I can improve, I just have little time to play these days and tactics are more complex than they used to be so I have been left behind a bit by the tactical side of the game