Waiting for young players to develop

What does this promise even mean? I’ve noticed a promise to a player (that I honestly don’t even remember making) and that’s what it says in the box. So what is a “young player” exactly? My team is full of players under the age of 23, the player in question is only 24 himself. Or do I need to be thinking more like under 21 age players? 

(Apologies for this new topic, I know I’ve seen the answer to this on here before in a previous post years ago but I can’t find it anywhere) 

I've seen that before. It's when one of your players has complained about squad depth lacking in an area and your response has been along the lines of 'it's fine, we have a load of kids coming through' - not sure how you actually resolve the promise; I assume something to do with playing a youth prospect regularly. Personally speaking, I have never failed this promise but that's largely because my teams are always very young, full of wonderkids and win regularly. I would assume a combination of playing kids and winning things would count as fulfilling this promise. Bit nebulous though.

Yeah but what is a young player, I mean my squad has plenty of youngsters that have come up through the academy in previous seasons, do they count?

Is it only players I call up this season?

Is there an age restriction on what the player classes as a younger player? 

9 hours ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

Is there an age restriction on what the player classes as a younger player? 

I don't know exactly but I think all younger then 23-24 will do.  I have a philosophy at my club to sign young players for the first team and 23 year olds fit the criteria.

However, I think you still need to develop them to a certain level to fullfill that promise. It's not just enough to play them regularly. Not sure of that, but that's how that promise sounds to me.

11 hours ago, yolixeya said:

I don't know exactly but I think all younger then 23-24 will do.

Already have that, all but 4 of my squad are under 23, 9 of them are under 21..

8 hours ago, enigmatic said:

IIRC it's U21 and the criteria for actually playing are ambiguous and probably too strict, so it's a promise I'd avoid making...

Like above, I never made that promise anyway. the player apparently promised that to himself.. 

although since this he has decided to sign a new contract so I must be doing something right. 

Still curious to know what this “promise” actually means though..? 

9 hours ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

Already have that, all but 4 of my squad are under 23, 9 of them are under 21..

Still have to develop them sufficiently I think. I always avoided that promise in FM18 because I read here in forums that people had issues with it. Some claimed it is a bug, player will end up disappointed even if you play youngsters regularly. So I just kept avoiding it in FM19 too. 

Maybe you promised it but you were not awere. You can make that promise when you sell someone and the squad comes to you complaining. Or when a player wants to move to a bigger club. Maybe there are some other ways, not sure.

If you're sure you didn't make that promise try rasing it in bugs forum.

6 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Whilst I have no idea officially, I have always interpreted this by meaning bringing players through from my own club's youth and reserve systems- how many and for how long, I have no idea

Hmm thanks, But do you mean bringing players through during the current season while the promise is “active” or do youth that I’ve promoted from previous seasons count towards that? 

28 minutes ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

Hmm thanks, But do you mean bringing players through during the current season while the promise is “active” or do youth that I’ve promoted from previous seasons count towards that? 

In my view, this should be an ongoing process with some players from the youths making the first team squad on a regular basis, so not just in one specific season.

I'm also unable to offer any guarantee of what it means, but I would hazard a guess that it is transitioning any player who is a youngster or hot prospect into the first team in that relevant position.

One of the main ways you would notice this is when a players agent requests a new contract due to emerging as a first team player. I'm still thinking of it in regards to how it would be judged as a board philosophy rather than a player promise however. 

It seems like the kind of promise that would be either in response to addressing a lack of depth in terms of quality in the squad, or as a promise to keep a player without promising to sign top talent but instead to nurture it. Check your conversation history with the player to perhaps get it narrowed down just what exactly the context is.

In that case then I would suggest it is as I suspected, you need to be showing that there's youngsters coming through who will add strength to the first team. It's a very difficult promise to keep, because you can't guarantee it so the player might end up feeling let down. 

Mechanically speaking you would be looking at least the transition of youngster/hot prospect players to rotation/first team level by virtue of their appearances. At the harsher end however, the player could be expecting the youngsters you're going to develop are going to be what bridges the players perceived quality gap between your side and where he wants to be achieving. That could be what makes it difficult. 

On one hand I can appreciate its a little dissatisfying, yet on the other its meant to replicate that its a decision made by an individual and there might be an agreed goal but they still have their own interpretation of what that means. 

Unfortunately I'm largely in a position of ignorance since its not something I tend to do with players, once a player expresses their desire to leave with me I tend to be looking to shuffle them out on an agreed fee rather than a promise to keep them. That way I either get a good amount of cash for the player, or the player has to begrudgingly realise he's not as wanted as he thought he was and accepts his position in my team. 

@santy001 so basically it doesn’t matter what I do, I’m either going to pass or fail depending on the players mood on the promise expiry date? For want of a better way of putting it of course. 

Well he has since signed a new contract so I guess I’m heading in the right direction, 30 something days left of the promise last I looked so I’ll keep an eye on it. 

Cheers for the help anyway mate 👍🏽 And @FrazT as well. 

Archived