Advice on Mourinho’s Porto Tactic

I was watching a Tifo football video on Porto’s champions league tactics. They talked about how he had a strong defensive organisation and a more free flowing attack as they were divided into two units. I was wondering how such a divide would be translated into FM and if it is possible? All the best and thanks for any help 

If this Tifo analysis is accurate, I would try with something like this:

F9        AF

TQ

CAR       BBM

DMde

WBat      BPDco    CDde     WBde

GK/SK

Balanced mentality / play out of defence, higher tempo, work ball into box, pass into space, overlap right / counter, regroup / standard DL, (much) lower LOE, use tighter marking, get stuck in

Cannot claim that's exactly it, just guessing it might be similar to what is described in the video. Certain PIs (and perhaps even OIs) would also be needed to further refine the tactic (given how much Jose pays attention to each detail).

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If this Tifo analysis is accurate, I would try with something like this:

F9        AF

TQ

CAR       BBM

DMde

WBat      BPDco    CDde     WBde

GK/SK

Balanced mentality / play out of defence, higher tempo, work ball into box, pass into space, overlap right / counter, regroup / standard DL, (much) lower LOE, use tighter marking, get stuck in

Cannot claim that's exactly it, just guessing it might be similar to what is described in the video. Certain PIs (and perhaps even OIs) would also be needed to further refine the tactic (given how much Jose pays attention to each detail).

This oporto played a really high defensive line which employed an offside trap.

The problem with the fullbacks is that both attacked high up the pitch and while it is true that Valente was the more attacking Ferreira also made runs high up the pitch. However as the video points out they were a very disciplined defensive side and only one of them went forwards at any given time.

I am not sure I would use a F9, to me both strikers were scorers first and foremost.

I would go with something like this ad their formation:

P         AF

TQ

BWMd     BBM

A

WBa       BPD-d    CDd           Wbs

SKd

If you really want to replicate this side you can't have a fix set of team and individual instructions and must change them game after game to better suit the opposition.

As a Porto fan all my life, I can contribute a little to this discussion cause that team is still pretty much alive in my mind (one of our best seasons ever...).

Vitor Baia (GK-D) - played as a regular goalkeeper
Paulo Ferreira (FB-A) - didn't spent much time in advanced positions, but when he bombed forward, he was more incisive than Nuno Valente
Jorge Costa (CB-ST) - a bulky stopper (played on the right)
Ricardo Carvalho (BPD-D) - one of our first ball playing defenders. He swept everything cause he was fast, not cause he was on a mission to cover his colleagues (played on the left)
Nuno Valente (WB-S) - a non flashy, straight up wing back
Costinha (A-D) - typical anchorman
Pedro Mendes (CM-S) - a discrete player, conribute to defense and attack without deviating so much from his position
Maniche (BBM-S) - just like Pedro Mendes, but had license to roam a bit and get forward to trie his long range shot
Deco (AP-A) - responsible for dictating our play, dribbled a lot, pure magic without forgetting his defensive duties
Carlos Alberto (T-A or F9-S) - tricky one... a magic brasilian wonderkid used to be a number 10 converted to a withdrawn striker... he dropped deep, dribbled a lot, moved wide... perhaps the player with least defensive responsabilities in this team
Mccarthy (P-A) - a poacher... played very simple and tried to shoot when the opportunity arises. Sometimes Derlei played this position (he was injured for 3 months in the final months of the season), and Derlei was more a defensive forward on attack. He used to play left winger (cutting inside) on our 433, but he was extremely hard working and used to play upfront on our 442 Diamond.

Regarding team instructions I can only say, Balanced mentality. If this team was just one thing, it was pure balance! Our players were very mature and wise to know when to press, when to drop deep, when to pass short/direct, when to play wide/narrow, etc...

Archived