Creating Tactics - The Book of Roles

18 minutes ago, Armistice said:

If this game has became all about stuff like overloads and having to prepare meticulously every match then it's not for me anymore

It's not all about that, never has been.  You can play in that way if that's your preferred way of doing things, just choose your own way of playing.  rashidi is merely giving you a comprehensive overview concerning overloads and space.

22 minutes ago, Armistice said:

You say the game has became very simple but you say it's not enough to just put some roles together (considering you don't mean any random roles & duties). Well then it's not simple

He didn't say that.  He said "just plonking roles together in FM isn't enough".  In other words your use of roles needs to be thought through, but then that's always been the case.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Armistice said:

If you can't win games by combinations of logical roles and duties then I don't see how it's simple.

You can still win, but overachieving is another matter. If you're happy with meeting minimum expectations, simply load up a preset that makes sense for your team and focus on other areas of the game, that you enjoy more. Eventually you'll recruit better players and start doing well regardless of your tactic. If you want to overachieve here and now however, then be prepared to spend time studying the game. That's where all these intricate details come into play.

I'd love to read/ watch more about overloads, it's something I've tried a bunch of times & never really understood, I always seem to free up someone in space who doesn't need it rather than a playmaker or goalscorer  :brock:

Do any of your videos cover this @Rashidi? I've watched loads of your tactical stuff & game changers but never had the time to sit down & watch a play through series  

10 hours ago, Rashidi said:

With FM20 coming, understandably i have a huge amount of things to do. I will definitely be finishing this up as well. Its actually finished but I only have so many hours in a day. I just added Raumdeuter, WTM and IF to the list, need to get cracking on some other stuff, but will try and add the rest in later.

Great! see you in FM20.

On 01/11/2019 at 02:16, Rashidi said:

Updated with the IF and the Inverted Winger. Now i am off to sleep, i just posted on Twitter that i was off to bed half an hour ago. 

Amazing work - best FM guide I've read - thank you for all your hard work!

@Rashidi regarding the Raumdeuter, you mention: .

To exploit the Raumdeuter fully, you need to create overloads and be playing with a line of engagement that draws teams out creating even more space behind their defensive line

By this I assume a low LOE? What about defensive line, you think normal ir higher is fine?

I also have a hybrid winger on the other side with likes  switch ball to other flank ppm.

Thanks for these explanations.

in the description of inverted winger you wrote "In a 4231 I would have the IW on one flank with potentially a shadow striker or an attacking playmaker on attack in the AMC slot. " I guess you meant advanced playmaker on attack duty, right?

Edited by Feriboy2

On 04/11/2019 at 20:21, mikcheck said:

By this I assume a low LOE?

Standard or low, defensive line generally should be set to what you are comfortable with based on the players you have. If you have slow defenders, you generally want to avoid higher defensive lines. 

On 07/11/2019 at 22:36, Feriboy2 said:

I guess you meant advanced playmaker on attack duty, right?

Yes.

They both operate in the same general areas. The IW is set to play in the halfspaces but can go wide to the touchline to receive the pass and then move in. The IF generally starts wider then moves inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amazing stuff! Looking forward to try it out with my loosing hearts side. 
If I try a CWB overlap/ IW/ MC on left and CWB/ RPM/ RMD on right and an Anchorman behind, in the middle should be a CF or AF?

sorry about my stupid question but I’m still learning. 
 When I think about this: I see maybe the RPM also on the left for Overloads or the MC for the pass in the back (from IW)

thanks much for your beautiful work!

hanzi

Edited by HanziZoloman

On 21/11/2019 at 19:31, Rashidi said:

They both operate in the same general areas. The IW is set to play in the halfspaces but can go wide to the touchline to receive the pass and then move in. The IF generally starts wider then moves inside.

I'm still a little confused on the differences between IW and IF. Looking at their default instructions and how they play in the ME, I think the IF is the more advanced and "selfish" role. That role looks more to move into dangerous positions in the final third and score goals. The IW is a role more willing to pass or cross and be part of combination plays from deeper and wider positions. In the final third, I see IW stay wider than the IF.

You say that a Mezzala is not a good combo with a IW because sometimes they would be occupying the same spaces but I haven't seen that problem (both roles on same duty). Your advice is for BBM & IW but with the warning that the BBM doesn't stay wide enough to always work with the IW. Therefore I'm confused when reading stuff like that. Isn't Mezzala coded to stay wide which would help work well with the IW? What about if the BBM was instructed to stay wide? How about a Carrilero? Also, what do you think about IW-S plus Mez-A or CM-A?

Would you say that IF on support with Mezzala on support on the same side is a good way to create an overload?

I'm thinking maybe you can create a video to help illustrate the differences between IW and IF.

2 hours ago, yonko said:

I'm still a little confused on the differences between IW and IF. Looking at their default instructions and how they play in the ME, I think the IF is the more advanced and "selfish" role. That role looks more to move into dangerous positions in the final third and score goals. The IW is a role more willing to pass or cross and be part of combination plays from deeper and wider positions. In the final third, I see IW stay wider than the IF.

You say that a Mezzala is not a good combo with a IW because sometimes they would be occupying the same spaces but I haven't seen that problem (both roles on same duty). Your advice is for BBM & IW but with the warning that the BBM doesn't stay wide enough to always work with the IW. Therefore I'm confused when reading stuff like that. Isn't Mezzala coded to stay wide which would help work well with the IW? What about if the BBM was instructed to stay wide? How about a Carrilero? Also, what do you think about IW-S plus Mez-A or CM-A?

Would you say that IF on support with Mezzala on support on the same side is a good way to create an overload?

I'm thinking maybe you can create a video to help illustrate the differences between IW and IF.

I'm a tactical novice and this part has thrown me a little too! I plan on using some sort of combo of IF (S/A), IW (S/A) with definitely a BBM and either a Mezzala (S/A) or a RPM. Not sure which combo will work best atm. 

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm a tactical novice and this part has thrown me a little too! I plan on using some sort of combo of IF (S/A), IW (S/A) with definitely a BBM and either a Mezzala (S/A) or a RPM. Not sure which combo will work best atm. 

Well, from what I understand Rashidi saying, the RPM should work well with IW on the same side, while on the other side you can have Mezzala and IF together.

Btw, if you compared the roles, IF-S has higher mentality than IW-S and IF-A has higher mentality than IW-A. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2019 at 19:53, herne79 said:

Pretty much every role has something extra about it other than just PI differences.  A Fullback has more than just PI differences compared to a Wingback for example.  However some are more pronounced than others, such as: Segundo Volante; Carrilero; Mezzala; Half Back; Box to Box Midfielder; Inverted Wingback; Libero; Target Man; any "playmaker" role (Regista, Trequartista, Advanced Playmaker, Deep Lying Playmaker, Enganche, Roaming Playmaker, Wide Playmaker).

Would be interesting to see those roles with extra coding included in the overview @Rashidi if you find the time for it?

Also, this need to be stickied, especially once finished --> nvm, just saw it's part of the tactics guide sticky...

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

i dont know why but for me Half back doesnt work with Segundo volante and trequasista..in fm 2020 anyway.. have ben godfrey and franck kessie on half back with pogba/baro on volante and it doesnt work.. in 4231 deep.. just dont understand why feels like half back doesnt cover back of volante

Edited by Cpt_Bl4ck_B34rD

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent topic! Now, does this mean that only that type of players you pointed out can play in those roles otherwise they will fail there?

For instance, if a good passing defender plays as a no nonsense central defender, will he be a terrible player and suck every game?

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2021 at 12:41, TaPele said:

Excellent topic! Now, does this mean that only that type of players you pointed out can play in those roles otherwise they will fail there?

For instance, if a good passing defender plays as a no nonsense central defender, will he be a terrible player and suck every game?

You can play anyone in any position, how his attributes are distributed will affect how he performs his role. So a player good enough to play as a BPD playing as a NCD will obey what you have told him to do, which is kick the ball forward without thinking too much. He might be better at finding a player with that hopeful punt.:-)

I did that once when I was tied in a draft match with someone. With 3 mins left on the clock I moved a defender up as a striker, turned him to a TM(A) and played him between two AF. Then I turned all my defenders into NCDs and told the team to play direct and shoot on sight. We scored the winner in our next transition.  I had 2 world class defenders who were told to become NCDs. So they did all I wanted them to do, hoof the ball to the TM(A), he knocks it forward for the AF and hopefully we break through and score.

On 23/08/2021 at 22:04, Rashidi said:

I did that once when I was tied in a draft match with someone. With 3 mins left on the clock I moved a defender up as a striker, turned him to a TM(A) and played him between two AF. Then I turned all my defenders into NCDs and told the team to play direct and shoot on sight. We scored the winner in our next transition.  I had 2 world class defenders who were told to become NCDs. So they did all I wanted them to do, hoof the ball to the TM(A), he knocks it forward for the AF and hopefully we break through and score.

Is this an "exploit"?  I've done this and feel like it's too successful.  Yes, teams can and do do this in real life when desperate.  Alison scored on a corner.  By "exploit" I mean that it works too well because the ME maybe doesn't account well enough for it.  Honestly just curious.

1 hour ago, vkastanas said:

Hey everyone!

Been reading this topic for a while now!

Will this combination of roles, duties and team insrtuctions work?

I want to be defensively solid but aggressive on winning ball back and counter fast.

image.png.e915e5857dcb8f26d00f20f61386d9a5.png

open your ow thread and discuss it there so it’s easier to see

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

5 things to consider when creating a tactic

1. Use your team report. The first thing you should want to visit isn't the tactic screen. ...

2. Pick a tactical style. ...

3. Set a base formation. ...

4. Pick Player roles on Attributes. ...

5. Set Personalised Player Instructions.

In Football Manager 2022, your tactics are one of the most vital parts of your game. No one wants to see a team of superstars get beaten 5-0 by their biggest rivals, so you have to have a cohesive tactical approach to your game.

krnt.run

myindigocard app

Edited by harveysamuel801

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...