Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

I quite simply don’t understand the defender roles. I thought I did but it appears my interpretation is wrong. I play with BPD and I thought they played out from the back and stuff. What do they actually do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Arsenal457 said:

I quite simply don’t understand the defender roles. I thought I did but it appears my interpretation is wrong. I play with BPD and I thought they played out from the back and stuff. What do they actually do?

They will look for more risky passes, and be more direct. Acting like  a very deep playmaker looking to spray balls towards your forwards.

If you want to play out from the back, a CD(D) is good enough. You can add shorter passing or take fewer risks as well if you want, to make them pass to those around them and build from the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

They will look for more risky passes, and be more direct. Acting like  a very deep playmaker looking to spray balls towards your forwards.

If you want to play out from the back, a CD(D) is good enough. You can add shorter passing or take fewer risks as well if you want, to make them pass to those around them and build from the back. 

Ok, thanks heaps. Would it work if I did one CD and one BPD and still build from the back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arsenal457 said:

Ok, thanks heaps. Would it work if I did one CD and one BPD and still build from the back?

You would likely see a mixture of the two behaviours. A BPD will not always lump the ball forward or try risky passes, so with a CD who does not try these passes, you may see a bit of variety in the way you build from the back. If you use "play out of defense", this may further nudge a BPD to play shorter and safer rather than riskier. Like everything, though, there is a balance. Even if you want to play with the back, you will not want to faff around with the ball for ages, inviting pressure in your defensive third. As I said in other threads to you, there is no a single answer, because how you play will depend on what roles you have in your team, as well as your players. For example, a defender who is not comfortable on the ball will not play out of the back well no matter what instructions you use. Likewise, if your forwards all rush forwards quickly, playing from the back is hard because the passing options are limited.

Most things are interlinked in FM, it is difficult to think of a single thing in isolation. I find it better to think about what  I want my team to do, and then think about how the whole team works towards that goal. For playing out from the back, I will want defenders who are not going to panic when pressed. I will want there to be plenty of passing options in midfield, with players in space. I will want some of those players to be able to pass the ball and retain possession, and some players to be able to run at the defense or try risky passes forwards. So you see the decision to play out from the back will influence my entire team, rather than just my defenders. Don't worry, this can be tricky to master at the start and feel overwhelming, but it is very rewarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2019 at 20:50, sporadicsmiles said:

You would likely see a mixture of the two behaviours. A BPD will not always lump the ball forward or try risky passes, so with a CD who does not try these passes, you may see a bit of variety in the way you build from the back. If you use "play out of defense", this may further nudge a BPD to play shorter and safer rather than riskier. Like everything, though, there is a balance. Even if you want to play with the back, you will not want to faff around with the ball for ages, inviting pressure in your defensive third. As I said in other threads to you, there is no a single answer, because how you play will depend on what roles you have in your team, as well as your players. For example, a defender who is not comfortable on the ball will not play out of the back well no matter what instructions you use. Likewise, if your forwards all rush forwards quickly, playing from the back is hard because the passing options are limited.

Most things are interlinked in FM, it is difficult to think of a single thing in isolation. I find it better to think about what  I want my team to do, and then think about how the whole team works towards that goal. For playing out from the back, I will want defenders who are not going to panic when pressed. I will want there to be plenty of passing options in midfield, with players in space. I will want some of those players to be able to pass the ball and retain possession, and some players to be able to run at the defense or try risky passes forwards. So you see the decision to play out from the back will influence my entire team, rather than just my defenders. Don't worry, this can be tricky to master at the start and feel overwhelming, but it is very rewarding.

Ok, thanks heaps. I’ll definitely take this in with my tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...