Dynamic Tactics/Formation (Get rid of PPMs)

birdman16

Hey all,

Wanted to run this by the group and see what everyone thought.

I love FM, adding up all the hours from when I started from FM10, it would be considered my top game of all time. I am starting to notice that over the years SI has been taking away certain tactic features that we used to have, losing ability to really provide tweaks to your tactics. I.e getting rid of sliders, we can't fully customize our tactics the way we want to, I can't ask my wingers to "dribble less" unless I change his role completely or have my defenders "make forward runs" just for the sake of it (without using PIs). Now this year, FM19, we can't change the "Structured/Fluid" system manually anymore.

It doesn't sound like much but it sounds like SI is starting to go towards making the game more easily accessible to newcomers. Which I'm all aboard for but I think we can find away to have the game give us more tactical freedom while also making it simple enough for newcomers.

Dynamic tactics: 

I'd like to the ability to choose "Defense/Buildup/Attack" tactics. Give us options to provide instructions to our players for each phase of play.

Examples:

"I want to be able to tell my "winger" where to position himself during defense, maybe sitting at the edge waiting for a counter attack long ball to come over the top instead of coming back to defend but at the same time, during the "build up" phase I'd like to be able to tell him to drop deeper to receive the ball and act as a playmaker to help with build up."

"If I'm feeling desperate, I'd like to be able to ask my GK to sit on the midfield line during attacking phase maybe to keep some players up to come back from a goal down during an important match"

On another note, I'd like to do away with certain PPMs and apply them to the actual tactics of the match. I shouldn't have to train someone to "makes short simple passes" for weeks just to have him do something simple or "Switch the ball to the other flank" why should I have to train them for months just to do something like that? it should be something that I can ask my players to do during tactics creation.

Overall, I think some might argue that this would create too many options and make the game more complicated for new users but I think if SI used proper visuals (Showing arrows and symbols on the tactics screen, showing video animations for instructions) I think this be pretty easy for vets and new users to learn

Let me know what you guys think

• 1 year later...