Sports Interactive Community
Gianni Brera

My Tactical Counter-revolution (Long read)

An enjoyable read, mate :thup:

I like the thought process that led you to creating a tactic that produced exactly what you wanted to achieve. That's the right approach to the game, no matter what particular style of football one personally prefers. 

Did you stick with this? How did you do come the end of the season? Excellent article. Love the Defensive shape. I might use this for shutting up shot at the end of a game.

Excellent article and well thought.
It might work with Parma due to the space other teams concede against you, but I'm curious on your thoughts about breaking a defensive team down or when you are 1-2 goals down against you...

On 08/04/2019 at 10:16, djpdavey said:

Did you stick with this? How did you do come the end of the season? Excellent article. Love the Defensive shape. I might use this for shutting up shot at the end of a game.

I plan to try various versions of the same system, playing around with roles and duties, but sadly I haven't found any time to continue this experiment. But I'll give an update when I can.

On 09/04/2019 at 18:42, davidbarros2 said:

Excellent article and well thought.
It might work with Parma due to the space other teams concede against you, but I'm curious on your thoughts about breaking a defensive team down or when you are 1-2 goals down against you...

Well, typical of the old Italian school is that there basically is no plan to pursue a goal - hence the motto ''prima non prenderle''. Do not concede, next priority is do not concede, and then try some more protecting the goal. When you go down a goal, the options are limited. Maybe allow an extra full-back to charge forward, take a little more risk in mentality, more speculative shots, allow the players more creative freedom, or if necessary, switch to an emergency formation that enables more attacking. Go down 2 goals, and the new priority is ''damage control''. Perhaps its a bit of a pessimistic mindset, then again, this is a journey to the pessimistic Italian football of the past. Trapattoni once explained what Catenaccio, the mindset (not the system), means: it means ''ruling out defeat''. Its a take no prisoners mentality of maximizing tactical certainty, predictability, and control, and literally waiting for the opponent to commit an error and basically defeat himself.

Defending requires tactical planning and organization, and can be perfected and then executed. Attacking is an entirely different art. It requires creativity, and then it requires technique to carry it out. As a lower league team, you posess neither. So if you must score, youre trapped. Lets just stick to the old plan, contain the damage, and hope we can pounce on the complacency and score a late equalizer. If I go down a goal, I often change nothing. Usually, the opponent changes something. Theyre gonna give you more time and space, and scoring chances will come your way.

On 07/04/2019 at 17:47, Gianni Brera said:

Its a myth that Fluidity is ''merely'' a label and has no effect under the hood anymore

So true. So many seasoned FM pro's on these very boards have tried to convince everyone else that this is not true.

The only difference between this and previous FM's is that we (the user) can no longer set this manually. SIGames will have you believe that it was because "the label" was confusing. I can in part agree with this if I was looking from a new users perspective as it's more familiar for people that have played the game for many years and understand that Fluidity is a nod towards the mentality sliders we once had in earlier renditions of the game where we actually had to set the Fluidity ourselves. However Team Shape was removed so we, as users, could not 1 up the AI and make the game terribly easy.

For long time players of the game to honestly come onto the boards and say that Team Shape has no effect on tactics is actually quite insulting. But I guess they do it just for the same very reason Pep Guardiola comes out in the press and says he has never told his team to tactically foul other teams. A certain documentary on Amazon would debunk that. As would the familiarity bars in the game when the indicate a change in familiarity once you change Team Shape via roles.