Why do Some Players Decide to Retire in the Fall??

Makes no sense that a player would wait until October to retire with all club contracts expiring on 6/30. Especially in the case of this Real Madrid legend, Rodrygo in my current save. A home grown player. Real Madrid is the only club he's ever known and he made a statement a couple years of ago that he wanted to retire in a RM jersey. He finished his career with more goals with any other RM player in history but that's what it is-history. 

Same thing happened the previous year with the legendary Mbappe when he announced he would retire in November. Why??  I have a team salary budget and I had no choice but to be the bad  guy and release him. 

What do these players expect me to do, keep them on a monthly contract at inflated wages on their last legs for a few months until they walk away? Unrealistic and just plain stupid. 

Rodrygo.thumb.png.0b8e79fe75f7d2ba18961327d354023e.png

• Administrators
Just now, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Makes no sense that a player would wait until October to retire with all club contracts expiring on 6/30. Especially in the case of this Real Madrid legend, Rodrygo in my current save. A home grown player. Real Madrid is the only club he's ever known and he made a statement a couple years of ago that he wanted to retire in a RM jersey. He finished his career with more goals with any other RM player in history but that's what it is-history. 

Same thing happened the previous year with the legendary Mbappe when he announced he would retire in November. Why??  I have a team salary budget and I had no choice but to be the bad  guy and release him. 

What do these players expect me to do, keep them on a monthly contract at inflated wages on their last legs for a few months until they walk away? Unrealistic and just plain stupid. 

Rodrygo.thumb.png.0b8e79fe75f7d2ba18961327d354023e.png

Not that unusual for a player to announce retirement ahead of time. 

They are more likely to state they want to retire if they are being used less and less to the point they can't break into the first team. 

I usually try  to avoid having players retire at my club, unless I'm trying to get an unlockable or its a third choice keeper.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Not that unusual for a player to announce retirement ahead of time. 

They are more likely to state they want to retire if they are being used less and less to the point they can't break into the first team. 

I usually try  to avoid having players retire at my club, unless I'm trying to get an unlockable or its a third choice keeper.

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed, the announcement ahead of time is certainly not unusual. My point is that when I approach 6/30, I have to make a decision on whether to keep the player on a monthly contract or flat out release him. The player should already know by now I have no intention of keeping him based on the number games played last season (5), one would assume, and I have two players more than capable at the same position. 

I normally try to sell players off before they get past their prime but in the case of this player & Mbappe, I wanted to remain loyal to them as they were absolute legends for the club and should not be wearing another jersey. 

Archived