Playing against similar/better teams

So i've bought FM19 this week and im pretty new to FM. I've played FM18 a bit tho but im still a beginner and don't have much knowledge even tho I love the concept of FM.

So i got an Arsenal career now, i've been playing the tiki-taka tactic with some small changes to dominate games against weaker teams but i don't know what to when playing against Liverpool away for example. They have a stronger squad so i feel like trying to dominate wouldn't work. What would be the best approach? I tried the fluid counter-attack preset but got beaten. If anyone could help me with this issue i would really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum :).

It's probably best if you can detail the system you are using.  I appreciate you're using the tiki-taka tactic but you say you've made changes, plus we don't know the formation you are using or the players you pick in the positions.

Also please mind the language in this forum.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, ItsKBS said:

i don't know what to when playing against Liverpool away for example. They have a stronger squad so i feel like trying to dominate wouldn't work. What would be the best approach?

There is no single "best" approach in football, so doesn't in FM. Also, losing against a stronger (or equally strong) team, especially away from home, is a normal thing, so long as you don't get smashed. For example, I manage Southampton, and when we lost 2-0 to Man City away, I was not disappointed at all, because we played really well against the strongest team in the league and I couldn't reproach any of my players for anything - they followed my tactical instructions and really gave their best. To the contrary, I was very pleased that we prevented them from creating a single clear-cut chance during the entire 90+ minutes (they had only one half-chance), while the only 2 chances we had were a lot better than any of theirs (Long missed the goal from within the 6-yard box, and their keeper barely managed to tip Austin's overhead shot from the middle of the penalty area over the bar). 

So in addition to mastering the tactical side of the game, it's important to learn to be realistic. And pay attention to training as well, not just tactics. A good and proper training regime helps to implement a tactic more efficiently.

For Liverpool specific, they usually use high line and urgent pressing, so tiki-taka may not work well against them. I think fluid counter-attack may be a good choice against them, maybe you didn't have luck. 

Archived