Sports Interactive Community
Rivanov

FM 19.3.4 extremely slow since macOS 10.14.4 update

6 minutes ago, osloFUNK said:

Hi, updated my Mac two days ago, not aware of this issue. I experienced the same problems with the new update; lagging both in games and when navigating in the menu. I found this thread and have now tried playing a game with the public beta, and it ran smoothly. Did not experience any lagging during gameplay or when navigating through the menu. 

For convinience I'm attaching my settings, and also sending a system report to @Neil Brock.

Will let you know if something occurs in the public beta. 

Thanks!

Skjermbilde 2019-05-09 kl. 13.53.28.png

Skjermbilde 2019-05-09 kl. 13.53.25.png

To be honest, I think the lagging had been fixed. It’s now the crashing that is the issue. 

5 minutes ago, osloFUNK said:

Yeah now the game crashed for me as well. 

That’s what they are trying to fix 👍🏼

1 hour ago, bucket said:

That’s what they are trying to fix 👍🏼

Haha yeah I get that. Let's hope for the best

Yeah we've got a system from an affected user (bucket) in house to try and reproduce the issue and put a fix in for it, but so far we've been unable to get the issue to reproduce. We believe there's something specific users on the public beta are doing which is causing this and haven't so far figured out exactly what it is. A number have stated that it happens when they use command+tab when switching between FM and another program.

What we'd like to know from everyone affected is as follows:

- What the game is doing at the point of the crash (so what screen is it on, is it processing, during a match, etc)
- How exactly it crashes and at what point (so if it's when you use command+tab, is it when you first press that, or is it only when another program is selected? How long are you on said program? Or is it when you're in say a program (like Safari) and you're moving back into FM when it crashes?
- A list of all the other programs you have open at the same time and ideally what you're doing with them (so if you have a browser open, how many tabs are showing? Are any tabs playing video/music? Any specific websites? 
- When you advance in game how do you do so (pressing spacebar? Clicking 'Continue' in top right hand corner etc? A mix?)

If there's anything else of note about how you specifically play the game it's also worth raising in as much detail as possible as we can only really get to the bottom of this issue if we can reproduce it. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, bucket said:

To be honest, I think the lagging had been fixed. It’s now the crashing that is the issue. 

So the game doesn't lag anymore if it's not on 'Public Beta' mode?

5 minutes ago, lawsy009 said:

So the game doesn't lag anymore if it's not on 'Public Beta' mode?

If you're on 10.14.4, moving into the public beta version should stop any problems with performance. 

29 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

- What the game is doing at the point of the crash (so what screen is it on, is it processing, during a match, etc)
- How exactly it crashes and at what point (so if it's when you use command+tab, is it when you first press that, or is it only when another program is selected? How long are you on said program? Or is it when you're in say a program (like Safari) and you're moving back into FM when it crashes?
- A list of all the other programs you have open at the same time and ideally what you're doing with them (so if you have a browser open, how many tabs are showing? Are any tabs playing video/music? Any specific websites? 
- When you advance in game how do you do so (pressing spacebar? Clicking 'Continue' in top right hand corner etc? A mix?)

My crashes were: 1. when i just opened the game and click load last save. Then during the game was loading i switched FM with another displays - Safari, Spotify etc. 2. on the main screen after game was loaded or in the squad view 3. by pressing spacebar and during the next day loading i was switching FM Display and safari/spotify. My crashes were always after i switched FM display. I always switching off the displays by three fingers gesture on my touchpad. I think i usually use the another programs during the FM is working in the background (loading another day) for just a few seconds - 2 minutes max. 

During FM i use, spotify, safari (5-15 tabs - youtube, news, facebook), steam, MS Outlook. Sometimes Word and Excel. 

And finally - i always clicking the spacebar to continue the game. 

1 hora atrás, Neil Brock disse:

Yeah we've got a system from an affected user (bucket) in house to try and reproduce the issue and put a fix in for it, but so far we've been unable to get the issue to reproduce. We believe there's something specific users on the public beta are doing which is causing this and haven't so far figured out exactly what it is. A number have stated that it happens when they use command+tab when switching between FM and another program.

If there's anything else of note about how you specifically play the game it's also worth raising in as much detail as possible as we can only really get to the bottom of this issue if we can reproduce it. Thanks. 

Sorry for my bad English:

- Most of the crashes I had were when the days went by and I changed the display (using 3 fingers on the touchpad)

- Today I had a crash when loading a match, this time it happened without a display switch

- I always use spacebar to continue the game

- During the FM I use: Skype, Chrome, LibreOffice, Thunderbird, WhatsApp

NOTE: I noticed that the number of crashes is almost non existent if they wait for the full load of the days to end and then switch pages

Something else which may help us narrow it down, if you record yourself opening and playing FM until it crashes, we could hopefully mimic what you're doing in order to get it to crash? 

You can install OBS Studio as shown via this instructional video:

Once you have a recording of you playing then crashing, upload the video to our Cloud where we can download it and take a look. Details on how to do this here - 

If you do manage to record and upload the file, please do remember to come back here and let us know the file name. 

We really appreciate the efforts people are going to in order for us to get to the bottom of this issue. Hopefully we can get this reproduced and fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Man this is stressful, thank the heavens i am not crashing. 

Otherwise though guys can you try like closing most of your apps and play FM as normal and see if it crashes

Edited by Amarante

I'm not experiencing any crashes but my game is super laggy in the menus and during gameplay. I've also opted into the public beta but still no results. I play on the lowest graphics setting and 2D.

Posted (edited)

Hi Neil,

I have record a crash (it was really quick, less than 1 min).

I've uploaded it : whak365_FM-Crash.flv.

Edit: It's really when I switch between screen. I've played more than 3 hours without switching and...no crash!

Edited by Whak365

Mine is much better on retina display now! It does seem to randomly crash and i get a notification. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm playing the game though, its more when i shut the laptop down with the game running in the background.

Yep... Crashing when I 'tab' out or switch displays. Seems a common issue :(

Posted (edited)

I had played for a week or so in the game, selected my team and then shut the lid of my laptop for about an hour or so.

When I came back, opened the lid and pressed Space to continue to the match, the game crashed. This is the message I got:

Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 6.29.57 PM.png

The same thing happened again a couple of hours later. Played a bit, shut the laptop lid for about an or so and when I came back the game crashed within one minute.

Then it happened again but this time as I was switching desktops using the three finger gesture. 

Had no other programs running other than the ones that start on startup  like Volta, TG Pro and Magnet.

Hopefully this helps in finding the problem!

Edited by divij13

Just like to add an opposing viewpoint, and say that the Public Beta's actually made my game faster with crashes actually more rare than the base version.

I only switch using the windows collector button on the F3 key, so maybe that's why? 

I'd like to know when the base version will be useable again tho, because I've got some 3rd party add-ons that won't run on the beta version.

3 hours ago, VictorDL said:

Just like to add an opposing viewpoint, and say that the Public Beta's actually made my game faster with crashes actually more rare than the base version.

I only switch using the windows collector button on the F3 key, so maybe that's why? 

I'd like to know when the base version will be useable again tho, because I've got some 3rd party add-ons that won't run on the beta version.

Excellent point this. Worth remembering that there is two faults here. The crashes when switching windows, and also the game lagging terribly on the base version. I'm not getting on your case btw, Admins, but it's certainly a point worth remembering. Sorting the crashes is all well and good (and I'll definitely appreciate it), but fixing the lag issue would also be a huge bonus.

Everyone who tried to use the beta and crashed, it's pretty tedious and annoying but this is the way I kind of fixed it. I'm only about an hour into the game so this isn't official or anything, but after you turn on beta and get on the game, put any tab you want to multitask FM with on the same desktop and just use shortcuts (whatever that you set, for me it's three fingers swipe up) to go back and forth. It's so much easier for me personally to use swipe screens and switch between desktops, but this is the only way I've successfully gotten rid of the crash.

@Neil Brock i've uploaded a file called Werder Crash. In 6.10 i came back to FM from the other display using three fingers gesture, pressed spacebar to continue and then ,,the mouse icon'' was loading and loading... then it happens 

On 09/05/2019 at 06:52, Oguh said:

my game still crashing . Quits unexpectedly and exits . i play on Macbook and it's been like this since last week . Whats going on ? already updated the public beta and still nothing . 

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.44.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.10.16 AM.png

I had the same message when playing earlier. No other programs running except for Steam. Had just hit 'Continue game' using the button in the top right of the screen. I have a mid-2014 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core Duo i5, 8GB RAM, Intel Iris graphics and I play on low graphics settings. I did press 'Send Report,' so hopefully that's useful to you...

Those that are having issues I think I found a solution, go into preferences and turn off retina display. My game was super laggy and choppy but after turning it off it runs smoothly. The only issue is the tactics/squad screen doesn't fit and you have to scroll to the right and see any extra columns.

4 hours ago, TheSpider said:

Those that are having issues I think I found a solution, go into preferences and turn off retina display. My game was super laggy and choppy but after turning it off it runs smoothly. The only issue is the tactics/squad screen doesn't fit and you have to scroll to the right and see any extra columns.

Is this on the base version of the game, mate?

We believe the crashing some users are experiencing when running on 10.14.4 and the public beta could be related to streaming or watching streaming, so if you avoid doing so for the time-being whilst playing FM we'll continue to work on a fix. 

May also be worth avoiding programs running flash for the time-being, again when playing FM if you do continue to encounter issues. Thanks.

16 hours ago, lawsy009 said:

Is this on the base version of the game, mate?

I play FM Touch on Mac

A new version of OS is available tonight (Mojave 10.14.5), should we fear the worst?

6 minutes ago, Konigun said:

A new version of OS is available tonight (Mojave 10.14.5), should we fear the worst?

Either that or the retail version may work properly again, who knows? Probably not SI, based on how this saga has played out...

17 minutes ago, itszamora said:

Either that or the retail version may work properly again, who knows? Probably not SI, based on how this saga has played out...

The problem lies with Apple it seems not SI mate. Doesn’t help with Apple keep doing updates and what works one minute doesn’t the next. It’s being worked on (believe me, they have my MacBook). It’s not a straight forward fix. 

32 minutes ago, bucket said:

The problem lies with Apple it seems not SI mate. Doesn’t help with Apple keep doing updates and what works one minute doesn’t the next. It’s being worked on (believe me, they have my MacBook). It’s not a straight forward fix. 

Well, yes and no. Developers get early access to OS updates entirely to stop issues like this happening. Clearly it is 10.14.4 that has caused the issues with FM, but it hasn’t affected any other software I run, including other games. Hopefully they are testing with 10.14.5 to try and avoid more issues. And fair play in lending your laptop to help find a solution.

Apple has a long history of breaking things in an update

Posted (edited)
On 09/05/2019 at 16:26, Neil Brock said:

If you're on 10.14.4, moving into the public beta version should stop any problems with performance. 

I had switched to the beta and performance improved, however those issues have now returned for no reason on my account.

Edited by eajb

23 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

We believe the crashing some users are experiencing when running on 10.14.4 and the public beta could be related to streaming or watching streaming, so if you avoid doing so for the time-being whilst playing FM we'll continue to work on a fix. 

May also be worth avoiding programs running flash for the time-being, again when playing FM if you do continue to encounter issues. Thanks.

Hi Neil, Is it SI's intention to eventually release a full update to the game or will Mac users be required to use the public beta from now on for the lagging issue? Conscious that you guys are probably well into the development of FM2020 and we don't usually get any full game updates released in May of the following year.

16 hours ago, Konigun said:

We've been testing on 10.14.5 and the game runs the same as 10.14.4.

1 hour ago, Ajax_Barcelona_Cruyff said:

Hi Neil, Is it SI's intention to eventually release a full update to the game or will Mac users be required to use the public beta from now on for the lagging issue? Conscious that you guys are probably well into the development of FM2020 and we don't usually get any full game updates released in May of the following year.

We absolutely want to be in a position to update fully to remove any performance problems which have occurred for users who updated to 10.14.4. 

Nobody have done nothing yet ? It's been more than a week,  I've never been so long in my life with no FM and now that football season is over what am I suppose to do? 

Posted (edited)

Another one here with an issue since the update to Mojave 10.14.4.

I'm on Macbook Pro Retina (with 2GB VRAM dedicated graphics card), 16GB DDR3, 2.5ghz quad core, so it should run like a dream. 

I've tried using the Public Beta version but it crashes so frequently I have to save it every few days so I don't lose gameplay. Played it earlier this evening and it crashed twice within 5 minutes. When it does crash, it doesn't send any files or information whatsoever to the crash dump. Tried deleting caches, preferences...doesn't do anything.
The crash using the Beta version doesn't appear to have a truly discernible pattern, though of the estimated 15 times it's happened in a week, most of the time it's happened when switching desktops from FM to using Chrome, where I usually have Netflix or Channel 4OD open. Other times I've had nothing streaming (like earlier tonight), just BBC News, my emails and a few tabs relating to this issue. On some occasions, it's just after I hit 'continue' (using the button now the spacebar) but it did it earlier when saving my game (using the FM - Save game in the corner, not cmd + s) , and has done it another time when loading my save.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Arathe1

10 hours ago, Oguh said:

Nobody have done nothing yet ? It's been more than a week,  I've never been so long in my life with no FM and now that football season is over what am I suppose to do? 

8 hours ago, Arathe1 said:

Another one here with an issue since the update to Mojave 10.14.4.

I'm on Macbook Pro Retina (with 2GB VRAM dedicated graphics card), 16GB DDR3, 2.5ghz quad core, so it should run like a dream. 

I've tried using the Public Beta version but it crashes so frequently I have to save it every few days so I don't lose gameplay. Played it earlier this evening and it crashed twice within 5 minutes. When it does crash, it doesn't send any files or information whatsoever to the crash dump. Tried deleting caches, preferences...doesn't do anything.
The crash using the Beta version doesn't appear to have a truly discernible pattern, though of the estimated 15 times it's happened in a week, most of the time it's happened when switching desktops from FM to using Chrome, where I usually have Netflix or Channel 4OD open. Other times I've had nothing streaming (like earlier tonight), just BBC News, my emails and a few tabs relating to this issue. On some occasions, it's just after I hit 'continue' (using the button now the spacebar) but it did it earlier when saving my game (using the FM - Save game in the corner, not cmd + s) , and has done it another time when loading my save.

Hope that helps.

Just to re-iterate what I wrote above:

5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to re-iterate what I wrote above:

I turned the wifi off and gave it a try and played for about 1 and a half hour straight without crashes or any issues. Hope it helps . 

Hi Brocky mate, long time no speak!

I'm afraid I'm getting the same, frustrating crashes since updating to Mojave and then having to switch to the public beta. Was running fine on the beta the last few days and then as of today, I'm getting crashes. Not running any streaming or any other programmes or apps for that matter.

Any other suggests mate?

Cheers and hope you're well!

@Neil Brock any news? I understand that there are some things that you could't predict but it's really frustrating. I cannot play my fav game for at least month. 

Hi,

Getting the lag issue as mentioned in this post having updated mac to Mojave 10.14.5. Im seeing a lot of people switching to the public beta, which seems to work for some. How does one switch back to the beta? 

Thanks

@Neil Brock

I'm on the beta and it has sorted the graphics but like many others, crashing is now a problem.

It's not terrible to be honest and I just save regularly but the crashes tend to happen when I command + tab to other programs and generally not when I stay within the game. My latest crash, I actually didn't even notice until I tried to go back and found that it had disappeared and this seems to be more common than anything else. The first couple of crashes I had on the beta occurred when in the game and I got a notification about the problem - when this happens, I always send a report.

The programs I tend to have open concurrently are chrome, mail and steam (if that isn't obvious). The crashes don't seem to have any other consistent traits.

The other thing I do notice is sometimes I get a blue or white screen when transitioning into a match but I've not yet had a crash when this occurred.

Posted (edited)
On 19/04/2019 at 05:48, Amarante said:

Man you lot are an entitled mess. 

So now that the game still hasn't been fixed a month after your post (at which point it had already been buggered for awhile), are we still an entitled mess?

I just submitted a refund request through Steam outlining SI's inability/unwillingness to fix the game, and I would recommend others do so as well.

Edited by cwc1

They are trying believe me, they know the problem too but it's very complicated. It's being worked on but to date with no success. I've got my MacBook back, played it for a while and all was well. Was only when I left it sitting for a while and came back to continue that it crashed. But to say an unwillingness to fix the game is just silly, they've been trying, but Apple changing things and changing again soon to Mojave 10.14.5 throws spanners in the works. 

Frustrating I know, but why not play, save and then continue more often? At least then, you shouldn't lose so much progress if and when it does crash.

I only crash when i leave the game idle and then come back to it, i can play for hours and not crash. 

Even when am switching applications. when i am streaming and playing at the same time the game jsut gets laggy but only the ME 

Appreciate people are frustrated with the ongoing issues, but please stay on topic, please don't clog up the thread unless you're leaving crash or stability info for Neil and co. 

Hi,

It seems to be better with the beta and 10.14.5, I have less crash when I switch between screens.

I haven't try with Firefox or Chrome running Flash but with FM and Firefox (without Flash website but with Gmail / SI Games Forum / Twitter...) and iMessage it looks good.

4 minutes ago, Whak365 said:

Hi,

It seems to be better with the beta and 10.14.5, I have less crash when I switch between screens.

I haven't try with Firefox or Chrome running Flash but with FM and Firefox (without Flash website but with Gmail / SI Games Forum / Twitter...) and iMessage it looks good.

Thank for your update. We will take this into account in our investigation for this matter. we are still working on the fix and will update once we are able to. Thank you.