Sports Interactive Community
Rivanov

FM 19.3.4 extremely slow since macOS 10.14.4 update

No difference with the new beta patch, I still have lag in 2D match engine and in-game menu. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

We've got 2014 Macbooks we've been running internally which have been running well for us on Medium - just as a troubleshooting check, can you please try deleting your cache and preferences as shown here? - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2019/180_how-to/182_mac/how-to-delete-my-preferences-andor-caches-folder-r640/

Also if at the moment you're running any custom graphics/logos/skins etc, try removing them for now to see if that makes any difference. Would just be good to have a direct comparison with our own machines if you're seeing vastly different performance. Thanks. 

C'mon Neil. It's been almost a month now. Furthermore, this is Easter break. I would very much like to play it during the weekend since I'm not working. 

Furthermore my friend, you have to understand that I payed a lot of money to play the game in 'high' settings, not to use 'medium'. 

9 minutes ago, bruno.korqui said:

C'mon Neil. It's been almost a month now. Furthermore, this is Easter break. I would very much like to play it during the weekend since I'm not working. 

Furthermore my friend, you have to understand that I payed a lot of money to play the game in 'high' settings, not to use 'medium'. 

You can play it during the Easter break, that's what we've been working hard on to provide this update for the public beta version, however some users may find for the time-being they have to lower their in-game settings in order to have optimum performance. 

10 minutes ago, bruno.korqui said:

Absolutely true. Pay for max specs, and play in medium/low... :)

Im back on the public beta, game runs ok but I can only run the graphics on high and not very high..

5 hours ago, Blizniak said:

I will try to check it later. I have a lot of graphics/logos/skins etc., GB’s of addons, so sorry, but from my point of view it is a waste of time, to remove it, and again install it, especially that most of the players have problems with lag. This is not a problem of my MacBook ;) 

Deleting cache and preferences helps a little bit, but mostly in the menu. During game, in 3D mode, still lags.

Hi Neil,

I am on the public beta and the game still lags on lowest quality and no crowd on any of the camera options including 2D.

Specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012); Processor - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5; Memory - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Thanks

Played a game on the beta on 2D (all other game settings set at default) seems to run ok but still a bit laggy at times. Going between menus is fine.

Steam just downloaded another update on the Public Beta.

Is it meant for this issue?

For the record, I appreciate how hard you’re working to get this to where it needs to be on Mac :) 

Posted (edited)

@Neil Brock hey Neil i updated to help you out here, here is my system specs:

2103304677_ScreenShot2019-04-18at6_23_29PM.thumb.png.a1336327081f40c9f4477729c564b086.png

FM settings before update:

1646681863_ScreenShot2019-04-18at5_50_08PM.thumb.png.d36d8e487d746622fde143b77aa125b6.png

After update:

Test 1: On the same settings as above perfect game runs pretty fine this is without most of my graphics pack though custom graphics are loaded.

Test 2:

60991996_ScreenShot2019-04-18at6_25_40PM.thumb.png.6a1d3ac4ac0aff143d5a15999a9f1465.png

3D Match Engine unplayable. menus are all fine. 

Test 3:

Game is playable all menus are fine.

777346776_ScreenShot2019-04-18at6_30_41PM.thumb.png.4c5cbd54dae463a6aa3bbdaaab2a00a4.png

Test 4:

772745935_ScreenShot2019-04-18at6_39_40PM.thumb.png.24444cf07d1e10737c6746bf251cce7f.png

Slight Chopping and stuttering between frame rate. Menus are all fine. 

Test 5: 

66770604_ScreenShot2019-04-18at6_45_43PM.thumb.png.2895f17fda7a3c763a79b8e619415dcd.png

Game is playable. 

Observation so far is that when Anti-Aliasing is turned to high it causes the game to lag, i believe that has todo with the rendering of textures. Now as you all can see i don't have a dedicated GPU but am running one of the latest macbooks and i am having no real performance hits. The next set of test will be very high varients. Now you all can be helpful and just do what Niel ask and play around and find out what is the best method to play so that others can play while SI pushes out a massive fix. 

I remember when CoD and FIFA was crashing on nvidia and amd gpus and the community which is toxic as hell still rallied around so that they can get the game playable

Edited by Amarante

Very High Test with same conditions as set out before. Minimum graphics packs loaded. 

Test 1:

1744595043_ScreenShot2019-04-18at6_55_28PM.thumb.png.0b74d81754a4a400a40a4c6f09567235.png

Game Run perfectly fine. 

Test 2:

511349906_ScreenShot2019-04-18at7_01_00PM.thumb.png.e110a6da86ff9ccf16b6c1d73ea3eae0.png

Game Runs Fine again. 

Test 3:

Game runs but framerate drops now this can either be because of my system not able to handle it or the bug that we have i need someone who has a better GPU than mine to test this configuration, texture quality seems to have the biggest factor in how the game renders out the 3D pitch. Its the only change that is very noticeable indifference 

1557391561_ScreenShot2019-04-18at7_03_55PM.thumb.png.e1ce171e5913ac03f7a4611651bff81a.png

Test 6:

2129861561_ScreenShot2019-04-18at7_08_56PM.thumb.png.901b1eebea93975ff698fe7c3ca407ed.png

Same as before, with Render Quality turned down, the game performs as before and looks the same. 

I believe that somewhere between Texture Quality and Anti-Aliasing is whats causing the issue. Maybe a change in rendering tech on SI side might be the difference, i do belive going forward offer the option for person to choose which render they wanna use.

13 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

You can play it during the Easter break, that's what we've been working hard on to provide this update for the public beta version, however some users may find for the time-being they have to lower their in-game settings in order to have optimum performance. 

So you are just confirming what I just said. We pay for the full game but have to lower settings in order for it to work out. In other words, we cannot use the full game since we have limitations. 

Latest update, match engine runs fine on 2D classic but the game is generally slow. And has been since I updated it to the most latest one.

Seriously, SI this is sad now.

5 hours ago, bruno.korqui said:

So you are just confirming what I just said. We pay for the full game but have to lower settings in order for it to work out. In other words, we cannot use the full game since we have limitations. 

The latest OSX has changed the limitations of your system. If you want to reinstall an earlier version of the OSX pre-10.14.4 then you’ll be fine to play as you were. 

Otherwise we would recommend lowering your in-game settings via the ‘match’ panel within preferences to get the best balance of performance. 

For me, only a small improvement

Match engine still runs slow with lag on 2D classic

Playing with low graphics

Windowed mode

PS: I also noticed that there is overheating and the battery draining fast

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The latest OSX has changed the limitations of your system. If you want to reinstall an earlier version of the OSX pre-10.14.4 then you’ll be fine to play as you were. 

Otherwise we would recommend lowering your in-game settings via the ‘match’ panel within preferences to get the best balance of performance. 

To get the best balance of performance I always play with recommended settings by my Mac. Recommend settings are on high, but it’s still lagging, so the problem is in game, not in software - sorry. 

I have tried playing on low and very low and it still lags. I have cleared cache,  removed my graphics folder and still no improvement. Seems the game has been completely ruined by this update.

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-INCH, Mid 2014) 

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

16 minutes ago, emeka09 said:

I have tried playing on low and very low and it still lags. I have cleared cache,  removed my graphics folder and still no improvement. Seems the game has been completely ruined by this update.

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-INCH, Mid 2014) 

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

To confirm you’re running on the public beta version of the game?

1 hour ago, maziero27 said:

For me, only a small improvement

Match engine still runs slow with lag on 2D classic

Playing with low graphics

Windowed mode

PS: I also noticed that there is overheating and the battery draining fast

If you run via battery it’ll automatically put the system into power saving mode. Do you have the same problems if you run the system via the mains?

11 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

To confirm you’re running on the public beta version of the game?

yes

18 minutos atrás, Neil Brock disse:

If you run via battery it’ll automatically put the system into power saving mode. Do you have the same problems if you run the system via the mains?

Yes, same problem  :(

Niel Brock, are you guys in contact with Apple about this issue? I know that Apple suggest people to keep there computer turned on for a longer period to re-build cashes etc.. 

Can’t solve this ? I started to play FM this year and it is the best manager game I’ve ever seen but issues like that are annoying. Please do your best and solve this ASAP SI Games... 

Posted (edited)
On 19/04/2019 at 14:43, Neil Brock said:

Hello Neil. Do the Mac related issues involve not being able to login to social media from within the game? I'd like to share my progress but can't this way.

Edited by Alan Watts
grammar

I understand that you are on Easter holiday, but a proper update before leaving would have been nice. 

It has been 4-5 weeks now, and no information about your dialogue with Apple or anything for days now.

The beta updates are not working, and I cannot see any people on this forum has confirmed them to be useful? Correct me if I am wrong. Are they just released to buy more time? 

Amarente have tested and send you a lot of feedback, but no one has returned them him? 

This years game has not been playable for almost 2 out of 6 months for mac users. Please consider the option for a re-found. 

Still waiting for the update for over a month, not to mention it happened before. Beta doesn't help...

For real, Mac users deserve a refund. Who do we have to contact to get it done? I'm over it

Until SI find a more more permanent fix for this, I would recommend people try lowering your Mac’s resolution whenever you want to play FM. I tried this by going to system preferences —> displays —> scaled —> and then select the middle option (looks like 1440x900) and then load up FM and make sure the same resolution is selected in game and adjust the zoom level to your preference. I managed to get the game running smoothly on the non-beta version of the game so try opting out of the beta and trying this if you are still suffering from the lagging issues.

Also Neil, the beta version is a lot worse than the proper version of the game in my experience and makes the whole game unplayable for me so please don’t update the full version to that in its current state. Many thanks.

Beta makes an improvement in the menu nav, for me.  It's still not quite where it was before the update but its way less laggy and absolutely playable.

45 minutes ago, Matt ex SEGA said:

Beta makes an improvement in the menu nav, for me.  It's still not quite where it was before the update but its way less laggy and absolutely playable.

Matt, it might be on your Mac, but it is not playable on my MacBook Pro. 

5 hours ago, kevez27 said:

Until SI find a more more permanent fix for this, I would recommend people try lowering your Mac’s resolution whenever you want to play FM. I tried this by going to system preferences —> displays —> scaled —> and then select the middle option (looks like 1440x900) and then load up FM and make sure the same resolution is selected in game and adjust the zoom level to your preference. I managed to get the game running smoothly on the non-beta version of the game so try opting out of the beta and trying this if you are still suffering from the lagging issues.

Also Neil, the beta version is a lot worse than the proper version of the game in my experience and makes the whole game unplayable for me so please don’t update the full version to that in its current state. Many thanks.

This worked for me but on the public beta. There's still slight lag on the 3D but 2D is perfectly smooth

28 minutes ago, emeka09 said:

This worked for me but on the public beta. There's still slight lag on the 3D but 2D is perfectly smooth

But who wants to play on 2D? Thats old news now!! This issue is sooooo frustating. 

Just to clarify we recommend any user running on 10.14.4 to switch to the public beta version and try the game.

If they find they still have performance issues we would suggest lowering the graphics quality of the game via the in-game preferences to a level where there’s no lag/jerkiness. 

Then if you please let us know what level you were running on previously and what level you’re on now (even if it is the same) as a comparison it’d be appreciated. Thanks. 

Does anyone know how to roll back a MacBook to 10.14.3? I've now had a temperature CPU warning that I have never had before in 10 years of FM!

I've also found that the non-retina option is now also laggy, whereas without the public beta it was smooth. public beta is playable (just), but laggy, and I find that I have to stop playing every couple of hours to let my MacBook cool down. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to clarify we recommend any user running on 10.14.4 to switch to the public beta version and try the game.

If they find they still have performance issues we would suggest lowering the graphics quality of the game via the in-game preferences to a level where there’s no lag/jerkiness. 

Then if you please let us know what level you were running on previously and what level you’re on now (even if it is the same) as a comparison it’d be appreciated. Thanks. 

Im on the public beta, running on high graphics when previously I was on very high..

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

I used to play on high 3D, and I have now tried to play on low and very low 2D, but my game is not playable. I have constant lag, and after half an hour the computer get very warm. 

Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2016) 

2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz

Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB / Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB

I play other games on my MacBook and none of them have any issues. 

5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Neil I have tried the public beta many times on different settings and it is 100 times worse than the non beta version of the game

On the beta, even on the lowest settings I have lag in match and even when navigating around different menus out of the match screen

On the non-beta version of the game I previously played on mostly medium settings with crowd and shadows on low and it ran perfectly smoothly. This is still possible but I have to change the Mac’s resolution to 1440x900 to achieve this 

On 21/04/2019 at 18:00, kevez27 said:

i can confirm this one too. lowering system resolution to the default scale and matching the same resolution on the game, it does the trick. however, i would like to be able to play again on the highest resolution my macbook offers (1920x1200), as it was before the update.

19 hours ago, kevez27 said:

Neil I have tried the public beta many times on different settings and it is 100 times worse than the non beta version of the game

On the beta, even on the lowest settings I have lag in match and even when navigating around different menus out of the match screen

On the non-beta version of the game I previously played on mostly medium settings with crowd and shadows on low and it ran perfectly smoothly. This is still possible but I have to change the Mac’s resolution to 1440x900 to achieve this 

So even now if you play on the non-beta version of the game it actually runs better? Or do you just mean prior to installing the 10.14.4 update? 

23 hours ago, M.D said:

Im on the public beta, running on high graphics when previously I was on very high..

And how does it run for you on High?

35 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

So even now if you play on the non-beta version of the game it actually runs better? Or do you just mean prior to installing the 10.14.4 update? 

Originally after installing the 10.14.4 update, I loaded the game and had the same lag issues as everybody else, both in match and navigating around the other screens so I left it until you released the beta. After installing the beta I found it was even worse and totally unplayable due to severe lag on the lowest settings even in 2D, so I returned to the normal non-beta version and found this was running much better. 3D is still hit and miss but I’ve found if I watch in 2d and have 3D replays this works well. For example last night, even on 1650x800 resolution with medium settings with low crowd and shadows settings, 2d comprehensive with 3D replays were perfectly smooth but watching all highlights in 3D causes more issues if that makes sense. I can try to film some examples later if that will help? 

1 hour ago, kevez27 said:

Originally after installing the 10.14.4 update, I loaded the game and had the same lag issues as everybody else, both in match and navigating around the other screens so I left it until you released the beta. After installing the beta I found it was even worse and totally unplayable due to severe lag on the lowest settings even in 2D, so I returned to the normal non-beta version and found this was running much better. 3D is still hit and miss but I’ve found if I watch in 2d and have 3D replays this works well. For example last night, even on 1650x800 resolution with medium settings with low crowd and shadows settings, 2d comprehensive with 3D replays were perfectly smooth but watching all highlights in 3D causes more issues if that makes sense. I can try to film some examples later if that will help? 

If you don't mind as we'd be interested to see. We're surprised that anyone would potentially be running worse via the public beta. 

Would also like to see your specific system specs, so  from your 'about my Mac' - details here - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201581 - could you please state your Mac model (so say Macbook Pro, Retina-15 Inch Late 2013), the processor and the graphics of your machine? 

All that info should be available like is shown via on the 'about my Mac' panel as linked above.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

If you don't mind as we'd be interested to see. We're surprised that anyone would potentially be running worse via the public beta. 

Would also like to see your specific system specs, so  from your 'about my Mac' - details here - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201581 - could you please state your Mac model (so say Macbook Pro, Retina-15 Inch Late 2013), the processor and the graphics of your machine? 

All that info should be available like is shown via on the 'about my Mac' panel as linked above.

No problem I will take some videos when I get home from work but in the meantime I know that my MacBook is a 2017 15 Inch model with i7-7700HQ 2.8ghz processor with the AMD Radeon 560 4gb gpu 

Edited by kevez27

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

And how does it run for you on High?

It runs fine but obviously the graphics are a lot poorer.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kevez27 said:

No problem I will take some videos when I get home from work but in the meantime I know that my MacBook is a 2017 15 Inch model with i7-7700HQ 2.8ghz processor with the AMD Radeon 560 4gb gpu 

Neil I have uploaded videos to your cloud service which are called:

kevez27publicbetalagexample - which shows how my game lags on various screens and in match on the public beta

kevez27NONBETAEXAMPLE - which shows how the game runs smoother in match on the non beta version of the game

KEVEZ27SMOOTHREPLAYNONBETA - which shows a replay after a goal in director cam which is perfectly smooth, again on the non beta version of the game

The exact same settings were used on each clip, medium quality with crowd and shadow on low.

I’ve also noticed on the non beta version if I am watching in 3D the highlight often begins with lag but if I pause and then unpause this will often fix it and will run smoothly until the next highlight where it starts laggy again. 2d runs fine on the non-beta but even that lags on the public beta.

if you need any further information please let me know 

5A0879E1-E041-48D1-8DEC-CA2F41780171.jpeg

Edited by kevez27

I'm a bit confused by your videos because as far as I can tell I can't actually see any lag when clicking between screens? It seems just as instantaneous as it should be? The tactics screen generally is a tiny bit slower than other screens in the game due to the amount of information displayed, but even there it seemed quick - are you sure this is any different from how it was before?

Can see the issues when running in 3D and it is something we're continuing to investigate. We appreciate you taking the time to film and upload this.