Sports Interactive Community
Rivanov

FM 19.3.4 extremely slow since macOS 10.14.4 update

Turned off the retina display and match engine went from unplayable to barely playable. 3D nowhere near good enough, constantly lagging. I know we're not the majority of users but please allocate more resources to solve this, it's going near 2 weeks now.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, kokafalasi said:

Turned off the retina display and match engine went from unplayable to barely playable. 3D nowhere near good enough, constantly lagging. I know we're not the majority of users but please allocate more resources to solve this, it's going near 2 weeks now.

Thanks.

100% mate. Getting ridiculous now. Not the first time this version neither. It’s obvious that the Mac users are getting overlooked as this really shouldn’t be missed constantly. And now like you say it’s been 2 weeks and still no solution. Poor from SiGames.

The Dark side of Football manager, the side they don't want too much fuss made about, the side they don't mention on Twitter, the side where they buy time asking for system reports when they know full well what's in the machines and how they run, there Macs not Pcs with inifinite amount of build combinations. 

Oh by the way, Macs run superbly, they rarely crash, they never have compatability issues and they run a superbly stable operating system

Get your house in order Sports Interactive in your shiny new building with your creators cups etc, your product has major issues with Mac OS at every release, simply not good enough and we're getting very bored of the generic replies from your 'Staff' on here when it's quite clear your clutching at straws 

When you do finally solve the problem we won't forget or forgive, we will mark this moment and remember it when Apple release their next update. Its happened twice now which is two times too many this far after release

il y a 3 minutes, PercentageGame a dit :

The Dark side of Football manager, the side they don't want too much fuss made about, the side they don't mention on Twitter, the side where they buy time asking for system reports when they know full well what's in the machines and how they run, there Macs not Pcs with inifinite amount of build combinations. 

Oh by the way, Macs run superbly, they rarely crash, they never have compatability issues and they run a superbly stable operating system

Get your house in order Sports Interactive in your shiny new building with your creators cups etc, your product has major issues with Mac OS at every release, simply not good enough and we're getting very bored of the generic replies from your 'Staff' on here when it's quite clear your clutching at straws 

When you do finally solve the problem we won't forget or forgive, we will mark this moment and remember it when Apple release their next update. Its happened twice now which is two times too many this far after release

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, PercentageGame said:

Spot on.

If this isn't fixed by next week, I think it's time SI compensated us.

Edited by bahrami

Are the issues regarding to the update also relevant in not being able to log in to social media accounts in the game? 

Wouldn't mind a resolution to this now.  Was thinking of treating myself to a new Mac as mine is about 6 years old now and slow.  Or at least I assumed it was slow because it was old, perhaps it's because the game isn't configured to work properly ?  Certainly won't be spending a large amount of cash until I can be sure that it will improve the game, because at the moment it's painful.

I know this isn't too helpful to the overall experience of FM, but I've noticed if you're willing and I mean willing to make your eye's blurry, then 2D camera, low graphics seems to work smoothly for me during the actual games. Out of them, it does run slower and can't find a better option.  

Still waiting for a fix. Please fix this as soon as possible. Game isn’t playable right now and this is extremely harassing. 😕

1 hour ago, fmdynamic said:

Any update on when there’ll be a fix?!

Hahaha. Nothing. As. Usual. 

Any news on a fix? Trying to play the game is ridiculous! Really poor that SI have also stopped comms on the troubleshooting / plans to fix as well.

They haven't.   They've said they're working on it.  I doubt they're all sat there in SI Towers rubbing their hands together celebrating a fix and deciding not to tell us...

One's in Beta - looks like it helped some people, not others.  So they'll have to try some other stuff. 

I get that its a pain in the ass but whining several times a day isn't fixing the game, and its not making the forum better either.

7 hours ago, Matt ex SEGA said:

They haven't.   They've said they're working on it.  I doubt they're all sat there in SI Towers rubbing their hands together celebrating a fix and deciding not to tell us...

One's in Beta - looks like it helped some people, not others.  So they'll have to try some other stuff. 

I get that its a pain in the ass but whining several times a day isn't fixing the game, and its not making the forum better either.

I completely disagree. When you buy something and it stops working you take it back. Every ‘whining’ comment is legitimate and quite frankly for them to be labelled as ‘whining’ is insulting. We’re customers who have handed over money on the basis of what we’re buying works. I’m not here to improve your forums, but surely your position is to update us rather than belittle our custom?

Very well said. It’s certainly not been the first time this years game has been unplayable for the Mac users. Surely it’s tested before it’s released PROPERLY but doesn’t seem to be the case, or certainly doesn’t in my view. It can’t just be down to Apple for its recent update to the OS system, all pc’s do it too. 

And for a mod to say that it doesn’t improve the forum? And... is it because they don’t like the negative coverage? Like the previous poster said, we are not here to make the forums look good, we just want a game that we’ve paid for work. And work properly. Ridiculous that’s its been going on for weeks now. 

My bad for not explaining, lest it cause confusion - but I haven't modded here in since about 2014 and don't even know how the mod tools work on the new forums.  The badge is legacy from working at sega which I did until about 2011.  Very nice of them to let me keep it, but my views don't reflect SI's or their moderators at this point.  So apologies to SI for misrepresenting them, and to y'all for the confusion.

I get that the issue is tiresome.  I play the game most days and it's not working very well at the moment, so I understand the frustration.  Just don't get the point of coming back here 3 or 4 times a day and calling people, or the devs, names.  It just makes the forum worse.  

42 minutes ago, Matt ex SEGA said:

My bad for not explaining, lest it cause confusion - but I haven't modded here in since about 2014 and don't even know how the mod tools work on the new forums.  The badge is legacy from working at sega which I did until about 2011.  Very nice of them to let me keep it, but my views don't reflect SI's or their moderators at this point.  So apologies to SI for misrepresenting them, and to y'all for the confusion.

I get that the issue is tiresome.  I play the game most days and it's not working very well at the moment, so I understand the frustration.  Just don't get the point of coming back here 3 or 4 times a day and calling people, or the devs, names.  It just makes the forum worse.  

Fair enough Matt, like the new profile pic by the way 🤣. It is very frustrating, especially as this is the furthest I’ve been in any series and just want to continue while the ambition is there. Fingers crossed we hear something soon. 

4 hours ago, Matt ex SEGA said:

Because it's a long standing issue Matt, if this was a Windows issue, it would have been sorted by now because the vast majority wouldn't have been able to play it.

I'm affected too. I mean, I'm playing on a Mac Mini from 2012 so it was never great but I could play in 3D before the update on a low setting and it would run smoothly. Since the Mojave update I can't even watch in 2D (and i've tried the beta build).

5 hours ago, Matt ex SEGA said:

Just don't get the point of coming back here 3 or 4 times a day and calling people, or the devs, names.  It just makes the forum worse.  

Has that actually happened though? 

10 minutes ago, FourFourRED said:

Has that actually happened though? 

Yes it has, we've unfortunately had to remove posts and ban several users

Appreciate it's an incredibly frustrating situation, and hopefully it can be rectified soon but the abuse needs to stop, now. 

This isn't aimed at you, but it is a general message to all posting on this thread. 

23 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yes it has, we've unfortunately had to remove posts and ban several users

Appreciate it's an incredibly frustrating situation, and hopefully it can be rectified soon but the abuse needs to stop, now. 

This isn't aimed at you, but it is a general message to all posting on this thread. 

But this also happened when the Beta version came out and again when the full game came out. And we always seem to be the ones that suffer (Mac users). Surely it should be tested on different platforms? How does something this big actually get missed, like honestly? How? 

Is this game just really built for the PC version? I don’t condone abuse or the such, but it’s been 2 weeks now and still no fix. You can’t come out and say that it’s not-satisfactory and that SI are working on it as it just seems to be excuse after excuse. As someone said, sending our machine details is rubbish, they know full well what’s inside the majority of these apple machines now. These updates seem to take the game backwards rather then progressing. 

Its all just infuriating. You buy a game and expect it to work, it works for a while, you do an update, it stops. 😡😡

We understand the frustration and are working towards a solution. Something changed in the OSX which was unexpected and caused these knock-ons which have unfortunately occurred within the game.  The game was fully tested on numerous machines since it was released - just to reiterate this problem is no way linked to any update we've put out for FM19.  

We've now compiled a list of affected machines and can see it is with Retina based Macbooks. Some users have found disabling retina does improve the performance. Likewise we would suggest in the meantime not using 'Director' camera in 3D as this appears most affected - we would recommend Sideline for the time-being. 

Once we have any further news we'll update. We appreciate the patience being shown and hope to be able to provide further info as soon as we can.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the response Neil.

I’m still on the director camera (which is the one I always use), and the annoying thing is that it sometimes works perfectly for a few seconds, then as the camera starts to move, the problem resurfaces. I’ll try different camera views later to see if it works.

Btw, it’s been quite common with FM games of recent years that the machine gets easily overheated and the fans work overtime. Especially with games that have progressed later than 5-10 seasons, it’s constantly like that.

How much of that is expected behaviour and is there any solution really, going forward?

Sorry, I know it’s not exactly a related topic and it might’ve been covered somewhere else but thought I’d ask. Appreciate it if there’s a thread about it you can point me to. 

Thanks.

Edited by kokafalasi

42 minutes ago, kokafalasi said:

Thanks for the response Neil.

I’m still on the director camera (which is the one I always use), and the annoying thing is that it sometimes works perfectly for a few seconds, then as the camera starts to move, the problem resurfaces. I’ll try different camera views later to see if it works.

Btw, it’s been quite common with FM games of recent years that the machine gets easily overheated and the fans work overtime. Especially with games that have progressed later than 5-10 seasons, it’s constantly like that.

How much of that is expected behaviour and is there any solution really, going forward?

Sorry, I know it’s not exactly a related topic and it might’ve been covered somewhere else but thought I’d ask. Appreciate it if there’s a thread about it you can point me to. 

Thanks.

FM is liable to use a systems resources as best it can so it's able to run in as high performance as possible. This can in some instances mean that systems run on under high demand which can cause systems to run with fans running etc. This is how the systems are designed by Apple. You say they 'overheat' but realistically the systems are designed to run at these temperatures and will automatically turn off if they ever approach levels where the system is at risk of damage from heat. The more information the game is processing and dealing with as you go further into the game, the more demand the game places on the system. But as said, all this is done within an expected range. 

This specific issue (the lag) is unrelated to how the game performs and is more in-line with the changes which have been made in the OSX which specifically related to the graphical side of the game, OpenGL. That's what we're currently looking into - how Apple have changed this and why this OSX has caused the problems users in this thread are seeing. 

So today was the day I finally packed in Football Manager. I have no idea if it's for good, or temporary, but there's no way I will be returning this year, and probably not the first half of 2020. By that point, I may have forgot about it all together.

For this to happen twice this year is poor. It's clear from day one that it was affecting machines that were retina based yet you still continued to ask for system reports, etc. I have played the game for years, as the age of my bio will demonstrate, and never have I felt so disengaged with yourselves. 

You may laugh and think this is an overreaction, but for someone who works an insanely stressful job during opposite waking hours to family and friends, I need a release, and football manager has always been the perfect tonic. I may only be one customer, but I am one customer who has bought every edition since 2005 yet won't be buying 2020. Don't take your customers for granted, it's a slippery slope when you do.

definitely running better with the public beta but still not really playable. SI can you give us a bit more technical info on why this is so tricky to fix? you may find you placate some of the guys in this thread. 

runs fine when not using retina. 

47 minutes ago, lrcnxyz said:

definitely running better with the public beta but still not really playable. SI can you give us a bit more technical info on why this is so tricky to fix? you may find you placate some of the guys in this thread. 

runs fine when not using retina. 

Not for me. I only have to load the game and the fan runs like mad. That’s not right!! 

I've always been playing on 2D classic and it's lagging for me, nearly a month now without being able to play the game...

We're still working on this and hope to be able to provide some more info soon.

Thanks. 

I've been suffering with this issue too but just loaded up the game and it seems much better on both the beta and without the beta, which is strange because as far as i know there have been no more updates from SI or Apple? I'd recommend other people on here loading up to see if they can see any improvement  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kevez27 said:

I've been suffering with this issue too but just loaded up the game and it seems much better on both the beta and without the beta, which is strange because as far as i know there have been no more updates from SI or Apple? I'd recommend other people on here loading up to see if they can see any improvement  

Spoke too soon, sorry everybody. The beta still seems much better but the fans proper ramp up where they never used to before

Edited by kevez27

On 15/04/2019 at 06:04, Matt ex SEGA said:

My apologies.

Installing Public Beta right now. Hope it helps. :)

Will let you know.

Still got severe lag in 3D camera. 2D is fine but 3D is still laggy unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Rivanov said:

Still got severe lag in 3D camera. 2D is fine but 3D is still laggy unfortunately.

What graphics quality is that in? Do you have the same issue on all graphics quality settings via the in-game preferences? 

Posted (edited)

Medium graphics. (with Retina) Same as before when it worked fine untill the macOS update. ;)

1280x800 resolution with 150% zoom

Edited by Rivanov

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

We've updated the public beta version with an update to try and help with this issue, so would suggest trying again now and letting us know how you get on. More details can be found here - 

Thanks. 

2D with severe lag for me.

1200 x 800 resolution (125% zooom) with retina. =[

Okay thanks for the info. Whilst we've made improvements we should hopefully be able to provide a further update relatively soon. Appreciate the patience shown by everyone in regards to this issue. 

Changed graphics to Low and still lag. Just for your info. :)

8 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

Changed graphics to Low and still lag. Just for your info. :)

Thanks for the info. Whilst it's frustrating it's good to know and we believe we have an idea of what else we can change to make further progress - doubtful it'll be this evening but hopefully relatively soon.

Posted (edited)

For me, it is worse on this public beta.

I wasn't having any issue with the match engine - the lag I was experiencing was in the regular menus or just after you submit your team going into a game.

On the public beta the match engine on 2D classic is lagging - tried high (which it always works fine on) medium & low

985158384_Screenshot2019-04-16at19_27_20.thumb.png.cf651cdf7aee25ffe54be3b74d21eb74.png

I am gone back to 19.3.4 now.

PLEASE do not release 19.3.5 without fully testing it on a Retina MacBook Pro on 10.14.4.

Edited by FourFourRED

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

We've updated the public beta version with an update to try and help with this issue, so would suggest trying again now and letting us know how you get on. More details can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/473332-performance-issues-on-mac-osx-10144-please-read/

Thanks. 

a little better but still super slow in the menus - didnt even go in to a game. 

7 minutos atrás, lrcnxyz disse:

a little better but still super slow in the menus - didnt even go in to a game. 

For me too, a little better
Match engine on 2D classic is lagging
Low graphics