Guardiola's preferred pivot role

I'm a big admirer of Pep Guardiola's possession football and I've always tried to imitate his style in my FM saves. Problem is I can't decide which role Guardiola's uses for the DM position. I've looked at the FM database for clues and in FM19 Guardiola prefers a regista. Whereas in FM18 and the previous iterations, it was always a Half back. 

I'm torn between the two and I'd need help deciding. Which of these roles do you thinking Guardiola is talking about when he says "pivote"?

2 hours ago, Challspace said:

Problem is I can't decide which role Guardiola's uses for the DM position

I am not a fan of Pepball, so I might be wrong, but if we are speaking of how Pep tends to use Fernandinho as his primary DM, I think he switches him between a HB and DLP. That's at least my impression from what I've observed watching a few Man City games. But again, someone who is more familiar with Pep's tactics will clearly know better than me.

I'd say Busquets would be your typical HB.
Fernandinho could be anything. It all depends on the opposition really. Sometimes is he a pure DM, against teams that play on the break I'd say he's more of a BWM or Anchorman in order to stop counter-attacks.

In FM terms, if you want to play the DM has a Regista, note he roams and takes risks, so he may not protect the backline as much as the other roles.

You might want to try a DLP-Defend or Support

I find that the DLP especially on Defend protects the back line, but does provide an option for recycling the ball back when attack fails. On Support He would often arrive late to the box to smash home the odd long rebound.

You can also use PI's to tailor the role to what you want

The "pivote" is basically the link player in the centre of the pitch. He might not be the key playmaker, but he's always available for the pass. But he also has great defensive responsibilities in front of the defence and stopping counter attacks. As I've said before on this subject, it's a demanding role needing arguably your best player.

As for what FM role Guardiola chooses IRL, it depends on the opposition really. It will change from game to game, and often within a game too. If the opposition is pressing high/has two up front then you will often see the player slot back in between the centrebacks to make an extra man and help circulate the ball up the pitch, but he rarely just stays there as play advances. And against weaker teams parking the bus this player can pop up in much more advanced areas to offer a passing option.

I think a Regista roams too much, and isn't going to offer the defensive stability/positioning. Half Back is an option if a team is playing two strikers, but I wouldn't use it other than that and it's a role I have some issues with still. I think, a DLP, DM, or even BWM (even pushed up into the midfield strata, if you wish) are options. Depends on a) how creative you want him to be, and b) whether he just sits or you want him to be a little more aggressive at times hunting the ball. You also as ever have to factor in each player and their attributes/PPM's.

Dinho doesn't only stay in his place either, I've seen him make driving runs into the box and even make assists. Mostly a DLP on Defend duty would probably do a good job emulating that pivot role, depending of course on how you set up your tactic.

On 26/03/2019 at 12:49, Rashidi said:

I will try and guide you guys to this, if you want to know how the pivot plays then isolate their consolidation phase. And you will see what roles you need playing there.

@Rashidi is this when they are consolidating in possession? Would be interested to hear more about this, what in particular should I be looking for?

DLPs, DMd, even BWMs it really depends on opposition formation and their midfield setup. do you really need defend duty DM - and 3 players marking lone striker against flat 4141? wouldn't he be more usefull further up? what about against 442 or 4231? defend duty might be more much apropriate here.

Archived