How to play 4-2-3-1 narrow ?

Where do you want your goals to come from

The striker, or the AMC's

If the striker, then you need to setup your AMC's to both create the space he needs and the chances he will take.

If the AMC's, then you need to setup your striker as a holding creator whilst your AMC's move into scoring positions

Sorry it's a brief reply, but you have supplied so little information to base one upon.

Hopefully it will help you work something useful out anyway.

On 25/03/2019 at 04:48, RodentofDoom said:

Where do you want your goals to come from

The striker, or the AMC's

If the striker, then you need to setup your AMC's to both create the space he needs and the chances he will take.

If the AMC's, then you need to setup your striker as a holding creator whilst your AMC's move into scoring positions

Sorry it's a brief reply, but you have supplied so little information to base one upon.

Hopefully it will help you work something useful out anyway.

1801471294_Adsz.thumb.png.44f67afe42a2dd96eb65ba35b4d800c4.png 

This is what i set up, its been solid defensively but i cant get them to create clear cut chances. Most goals come from crosses from wingbacks, you have any suggestions to do more in the middle ? And thanks for the reply

1 hour ago, legendhuntertr said:

This is what i set up, its been solid defensively but i cant get them to create clear cut chances. Most goals come from crosses from wingbacks, you have any suggestions to do more in the middle ? And thanks for the reply

I personally find the game is too nerfed with regards to tactics playing with wide formations, wingers/IF's etc I have only really been successful when focusing on wide play.

I find it very hard to create overloaded successful central tactics like yours as an example.

Others may disagree and fair enough but I definitely feel this years version is more suited to wide formations tactical wise than central.

4 hours ago, legendhuntertr said:

Underlaps make little sense in this type of system, since it's already narrow and congested in the middle areas. An overlap would therefore be far more logical, because it can provide the width that is inherently missing.

Pass into space is another unnecessary instructions you are using. If you played a counter-attacking football based on sitting deeper and hitting the opponent via fast transitions once you intercept their attack, then pass into space could make sense. 

Defense-wise, the combination of extremely urgent press, counter-press and get stuck is potentially very risky and can be easily exploited by opposition, especially by generally better teams.

In terms of roles and duties, I would rather have the SS side-ward, whereas the AP would be central (or on the opposite side from the SS, with the AM in the middle).

The rest of roles and duties would need to depend on how good your players are in their respective roles, and how strong your team is in general, relative to the league of course. Various combinations are possible... volante may sometimes even be on attack duty... one of the FBs could also be on attack.. or playing in a CWB role (which especially makes sense in winger-less formations like yours). 

Possible things to adjust on the fly

WB(s/a) FB(d/s) combo whilst removing the underlap instruction(s), this will alter play on differently sides of the pitch, Asymmetry works well.

Vol(a) creates more attacking opportunities, and bridges your Def/Att gap.

Move the AP(s) to the central spot and put the SS(a) on an outer position, this should help them look for different bits of the pitch to occupy rather than the same one.

give the AMC(s) some PI's .. roam, wide with ball, stay forward, more freedom

the feeling about width domination .. 

it's a real thing

playing wide stretches the defenders laterally, creating space and potential openings in the penalty area

with the Seg Vol .. i'd strongly recommend reading Cleon's guide to the role. (I can't find the SV specific post .. my google-fu has failed me)

I think it's a silly formation in FM because those three AMCs are "wasted" defensively and work better offensively when they roam and drift out wider. I think you'll find more success using an AML/AMC/AMR setup. It gives you better pressing options, it can easily convert to a 4-1-2-2-1 DM/Wide when you want to protect a lead or face tougher opponents, and it positions the attacking players out wide where they can get a running start into the middle or deliver through balls/crosses without so much congestion.

If you still want to use three AMCs then I would suggest an AP(s) in the middle and giving the other two AM players a "dribble out wide" instruction. In that scenario, I would use an AF(a) or a CF(a) as the striker.

Archived