[FM19] - Growing Up Down Wembley Way

Bedese

6 hours ago, smp20 said:

They did used to play at Crystal Palace National Sports Centre which holds between 16k-25k depending on what you read, but clearly not anymore. They were founded after the 2011 riots by a 16-year-old!

Well I didn't know this:

https://northkentnonleague.co.uk/the-most-hated-club-in-non-league-football-booted-out-of-the-league

16k-25k :eek: I'm presuming they didn't exactly sell it out? :lol: 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

August, September, October and November:

8e6f992175a41d42cdb929c1f9dcb46e.png

Well then!

An awful start which saw us nailed rock bottom of the league had me slightly concerned about our lack of quality at this higher level, but a small few tweaks to the tactic and we've been on an absolute flier!

8 wins in a row, 9 unbeaten, 6 clean sheets in a row and through in both the cups!

8ebb1931e6218ebf04e8f7a768049da1.png

Not bad at all :D 

14d547ea2383a463ba13d806e3b529c8.png

9a4446dd664cef97e94facdbcec6e8eb.png

7dac1dbfc2113c7bd47e0121b352f0b0.png

To get two upgrades of Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment so quickly into the save is absolutely fantastic! Hopefully, the investment into the local area will pay off with some more refined players coming through the Alpha and Omega junior teams - and I must say, there's a particularly promising youngster in the U16s who could be joining the senior squad soon...

Good recovery - going really well now!

I naturally wish you all the success, but in a weird way a little bit of me hopes you stay in the lower divisions as I'm really enjoying seeing the diversity of teams - not to mention where they play - in these lower reaches of the pyramid. Wouldn't it be incredible if a billionaire bought one of these clubs and took them to the top instead of buying the ready made option?

Long winded way (sorry) of saying I'm really enjoying reading in any case! :thup:

17 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Good recovery - going really well now!

I naturally wish you all the success, but in a weird way a little bit of me hopes you stay in the lower divisions as I'm really enjoying seeing the diversity of teams - not to mention where they play - in these lower reaches of the pyramid. Wouldn't it be incredible if a billionaire bought one of these clubs and took them to the top instead of buying the ready made option?

Long winded way (sorry) of saying I'm really enjoying reading in any case! :thup:

Cheers!

In a weird way, a little/large bit of me completely agrees with you :lol: It's a fun change to be playing smaller community clubs, many of whom (like Stonewall, Hackney Wick, AC London, Clapton CFC etc) were set up for a wider purpose than just to play football every weekend. I'd love to see some other teams progress up through the pyramid!

I think, for me, there's a little bit of a tradeoff when we're quite so low down - when you're playing at Level 11 and 12, the database has to generate a huge number of players every year for a youth intake, and that can really grind the save to a halt as my computer struggles to process so many players (there's 95,000 in the save currently, and this is before the intake for this year). I think a large part of the fun in saves like this are in the struggle and the slog, but if we could just jump up a couple tiers so my computer doesn't die, that would be excellent too :lol: 

I'm not the best at FM and I definitely have more failures than successes, so I don't think there's much danger of Alpha and Omega progressing too quickly, but it's been a (surprisingly) good start!

Kingsbury High School, March 2018:

Nik Del Rosario stood self-consciously in front of his new classmates. He might have been born locally, but had just returned to Kingsbury after spending the majority of his life in Tampa Bay Florida with his American parents, and his strong American accent wasn't exactly common to hear in the area - or popular, for that matter. One boy, in particular, seemed to be trying to stare right through him, and Del Rosario braced for the worst when the boy strode purposefully over to him after the lesson ended.

"Where you from, Yankee?"

Del Rosario was taken aback. He'd been called far worse than a Yankee before, but the boy had spoken with an accent not dissimilar to his own.

"I'm from here," Nik said defensively. "I've just lived in Florida for a bit. Are you from America too?"

The boy burst out laughing. "Hell no!", he said with a grin. "I'm from Barbados. Moved here last year. Wanted to get as far away from America as possible."

Nik stared at the boy for a second, then broke into a smile. "That makes two of us." He paused for a second, then held out his hand. "I'm Nik."

The boy slapped his hand, hard enough to leave Nik's palm stinging. "Clifton."

"So, tell me Yankee... do you play soccer?"

Youth Intake Day!

79d255f517465dc1dcbfcb579f415719.png

745dda5bd42a4804b7bb6187363d20c5.png

546bfff1e1d218b49a8cdbfc5253479d.png

It turned out that yes, the 'yankee' did play football - and he wasn't too shabby at it, either. Clifton and Nik quickly struck up a fast friendship, and that translated onto the pitch too. After playing together for the Kingsbury High school team - and playing well - they decided to fill their Sunday's playing football, and settled upon joining Alpha and Omega U14s, seeing as they played at the school! Having been with the club ever since, their impressive performances in the youth teams have caught the eye of senior management, and it looks like both will get their chance in the senior setup.

3b18080fbc53b9f3d162d488d7d0021d.png

Once they'd joined the U14s, they found themselves being directed by Scott Jackson-Cromack. It didn't take long for them to realise that Jackson-Cromack was a natural born leader, and whilst they didn't always get on with his robust personality, they appreciated his extreme hunger to win, regardless of the competition. Del Rosario and Clifton Belle were just grateful they didn't go to the same school as Jackson-Cromack - they liked him, but being shouted at by him twice a week was more than enough!

2e85a61dc274b3f131ba01a7412b0869.png

Obviously, that's an absolutely class intake :D The investment in some better coaching in the local area has clearly paid off early doors! I'm absolutely delighted with the number of second nationalities and foreign born players who've come through the intake as well, because I think that's a better representation of the real demographic of the local area. Top stuff!

2 hours ago, Bedese said:

745dda5bd42a4804b7bb6187363d20c5.png

546bfff1e1d218b49a8cdbfc5253479d.png

Two bald 15-year-olds... they must be preparing to play for Hans some day. These two look destined to be a lethal combination at this level, really excited to see how they get on.

0c3c6770cb9a638567ac2e0118623a0a.png

8f9f1b3b3af0663c3beab29b9c92e379.png

Both Sporting Hackney and Lampton Park dropped points, but St. Panteleimon (a British-Greek side!) won 4-1 on the final day to take the title. Still, to be within a point of winning the league after our awful start - I'll take it!

6dd117576c5ead5d6beaa1eaadc94f87.png

It's a bit disappointing we struggled so much at the start - just a solitary win throughout that terrible streak would have seen us up once more as Champions, but I'm very optimistic about our chances for next year!

August, September and October:

228246abe95eacb04f3db5751611e21a.png

A little bit of a bad run of form saw us drop three games in four - including an absolutely abysmal loss to bottom of the table Peckham Town - but it's not looking too bad after 11 games:

1ac7f9cc531be4a71bb91896619a269a.png

32 minutes ago, abulezz said:

Amazing start to what looks to be like an amazing read! 

You've started much lower down than I did, and that already proved a difficult task, so good luck to you! 

Cheers! If we can turn out half as good as Kafra, I'll be very pleased :D 

Been reading this from the shadows as I am off to Wembley for the first time on Sunday

Best of luck on this.  

I am assuming you are using Dan's database?

From my experience of doing these saves and watching others, getting up to about level 7 or 8 can be fairly easy, but after that, the struggle starts.  

13 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Been reading this from the shadows as I am off to Wembley for the first time on Sunday

Best of luck on this.  

I am assuming you are using Dan's database?

From my experience of doing these saves and watching others, getting up to about level 7 or 8 can be fairly easy, but after that, the struggle starts.  

Cheers!

I knew I forgot something in the opening post! I am indeed using the wonderful @Dan BHTFC's database, the work he does is absolutely unbelievable :)  

That's probably about in line with what I'm expecting, I reckon. There's such a slim difference in levels this low down the pyramid, but the gap will definitely grow a lot more noticeable once we start to rise up the tiers a bit!

November, December and January:

749f8d660dccc9ffc336614fff0bb0bf.png

We've been unbeaten since early October, so you think we'd be top of the league, right?

f546af3706eb3abcd9f5cbe3a46418af.png

Nope. :mad:

This is the weirdest fight for the title I'll ever have, and I don't know how to feel :lol: Stonewall are the leading LGBTQ+ charity in Europe, and the football team are Britain's first gay football team. The charity (and the club) do amazing work, and it's weird to be angrily cursing Stonewall when I see them score a late goal :lol: 

It's been a really tight race so far - after picking up just 1 point from their first two games, they've been on an absolute tear:

017adf0d062e4b7648f11820e0af043b.png

This one might come down to the wire...

Youth Intake Day!

258643860e175e4d1a2f22a0003d87b1.png

The quality isn't too shabby, but what makes me happiest about this intake is all the different nationalities - 10 different countries are represented in total! That's a very accurate mix of the demographics around the area, and I'm chuffed to bits about that :D 

22672a59db1e6d128c47da8cd8f3a22b.png

I can't say his name, but he's going right into the first team between the sticks.

ad7eb6290bda94153e21d7773f1f3908.png

Likewise, Nana will slot into the team immediately at LB.

dadb6e33707cc509c80640e654442540.png

An interesting one. Our current CAM Nidai Atas has been superb for us throughout his time here:

7e6b73efc51eeebdc820ce63807f0f03.png

But Atas is rated at just 1* CA, and is now 30 years old. Aldridge will get his chance before too long.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Bedese said:

I've been having some PC problems lately, so this is going to have to go onto the backburner for now :( Hoping to pick it up again in the not too distant future...

Fingers crossed.  

• 4 months later...