(Any FM) REAL LIFE players you retrained position into stars

I remember in FM 07 Tomas Pekhart at Tottenham was a youth striker with 'meh' finishing but good crossing.

I retrained him into a right winger and he became the Beckham of a Champions League winning team. He gained 20 Crossing and was world class.

I needed a bargain center back for my raising Udinese squad, who just won it's first league title. So i brought in Elneny who was on transfer list, and i'm retrianing and using him as a BPD with great results, coupled with Kimpembe on loan from PSG.

I tend to retrain my youth players when they first come into the team - as was put to me a few years back, often at that age players haven't nailed down their final position (remember Scholes came through as a striker, Bale as a LB?) so if you're eagle eyed you may spot attribute spreads that actually suit another role better; starting them retraining so young gives them plenty of time to improve towards the new role too.

I've had a few successes in 19, all with newgens though so of little interest to you all, I've often found on previous iterations find that young strikers converted to AML/AMR IF's can be very prolific, haven't tried it on 19 yet so maybe that's something for me to test again!

It is quite often I will train defensive midfielders into wingbacks. I tend to find the more well rounded nature of their game suits better how I use wingbacks and it can be worth compromising a little on the tackling/marking or crossing. 

I'm also quite happy to retrain anyone with the right mould to a box to box midfielders, tall strikers tends to be one of my favourites. 

Franck Hery, a mediocre defensive midfielder that was a fringe player for my team in French 3rd tier and I have even loaned him to 5th tier team. Retrained him to striker and he started scoring goals at decent rate despite being bench player in 2nd tier.

Sorry, for "Wikipedia" stats, but here are his career stats from my FM2015 save with Carquefou. Just look at his 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons.

WgwCHzg.png

Generally: 

—Big strikers with decent pace into Inside Forwards. Their bulk and aerial abilities give them the certain extra. Works particularly well for set pieces and with an opposite winger. Or on high press/hard tackles.

—Inside Forwards as Inverted Wingbacks. They are usually fast and technically gifted, perfect for an IWBa that has a defensively minded midfielder on his side. Bulk them up a bit and the end result are nice hybrids!

—Short and aggressive midfielders to wide positions. I like to play aggressively but demand aerial wins in the centre. So the shorter members that are willing to fight get wider positions to win back balls and initiate counters. 

—Older wingers as wingbacks. High mentals, decent remaining speed, less basic intensity. Perfect to keep great careers running for two or three additional seasons.

Specifically:

—Marcel Tisserand as a wingback on both sides. Sadly it eats almost all his remaining CA and normally he needs those for some mental stats but fully fleshed out he is a really good allrounder for the entire backline who does can stay a backup for most clubs beneath the very best.

—Renato Steffen. As is, he already can be a good to decent PFa and, with right team mates, really good IWBa. Sadly his criminally underrated PA hibders him on really mastering either role but early on he is a nice option to have for very narrow systems or when Ginczek pulls a Ginczek. [Although, for my longterm save I modded him a lot because some stats didn't fit real life in my opinion. Sasly thi meant, while he now plays as he should on normal positions, he is *too* overpowered on others.]

—Zulj (the DM one). Right sided IWBa on the wingback slot. Bought him because I wanted to try something and his skillset looked decent. Thought in two or three years I'd get a real player for CL sides. I even got myself one but Zulj outplayed him. Again and again.

—Akaki Gogia. Still probably my favourite player this edition. Cheap, nominally weak but just so, so well rounded for his duties! CA and PA make him a good second league player but usually he plays Champions League for me and rocks it! After lots and lots of fun with him on the flanks, I was forced to test him as a supportive striker after the injury bug hit. He might be even better there! He causes plenty of chaos, creates rooms, and his assists are superb.

—In 17 I also had Malli and Didavi as Inside Forwards. Didavi was okay but for a while the only capable player so set by default. Malli was a hit due to his One-Two PPM and good movement. In general Malli plays quite good and only ever lands on my sell list due to his horrible Determination. But until then he is a superb F9, perfect AP in all four possible positions, really good Trequartista, likewise in all four, and, this surprised me the most, with some PPM changes a really good offensive DM, particularly as RPM or, with some madness, RGA. Sure, he can't tackle. But he runs and directs the game.

—Vicenco Grifo. Had him as a good RPM and decent Shadow Striker in the past, particularly 17. Only wanted him for set pieces but he overdelivered. 

Sadly my current save his still a beta remnant and for some reason players refuse to be retrained in it. Even 21 year olds with 18 versatility and already decent amounts of familiarity won't get the final bit. Time to get my modding done so I can start anew!

Edited by Piperita

I don’t use Wingers in my setup. All youth intakes that are wide players that don’t have elite final third skills (cannot move to IF or ST) move to wing back. 

Strikers with poor passing go to IF in my system

• git2thachoppa changed the title to (Any FM) Real players you retrained position into stars
On 21/03/2019 at 01:12, Raymond85 said:

I needed a bargain center back for my raising Udinese squad, who just won it's first league title. So i brought in Elneny who was on transfer list, and i'm retrianing and using him as a BPD with great results, coupled with Kimpembe on loan from PSG.

I've done this with regens that seem to be suited as DLP Defensive Midfielders, as they appear to make better ball playing defenders, rather than trying to train defenders with poor passing, etc, into BPDs.

I have a habit of training deep lying forwards into central midfielders that can be played as CM(A), providing their stats suggest that they can play in midfield. Gives me a rampaging central midfielder who can score a lot of goals. I do not have any specific examples, however, to show you directly. I distinctly remember doing this with Dybala in one iteration. It went relatively well, but he was better as a striker.

I pretty much try to train every single wide player I have to play on both left and right wings. I usually play with a winger/inside forward combination, so if you can be a right winger, you should also be able to be a left inside forward (to some degree of efficiency). I do this mostly so I can have more options for rotation and in an injury crisis. It pays to have 4 players capable of playing both left and right wing. Sometimes as striker too, if they are suitable.

9 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Interesting. I don't think I've ever willingly played an IF with poor passing

In my system, I have two IF with an F9 or DLF orchestrating the support. They are more like strikers for me. A poor passing Striker won’t do for me

• git2thachoppa changed the title to (Any FM) REAL LIFE players you retrained position into stars

I played ozil in fm 2013 as wingback in 433 on right side something like inside forward lol yeah but then i was called tac genius after almost every match :D good times playing with sliders. But yeah steam for some reason stopped counting my game time in 2013 at 8k hours at that time so i dont really know  :D. I  won tottenham cl playing bale as striker also he won it solo :D in 4141 formation