You Can't Teach an Old Gold New Tricks - Attempted Tactical Replication Of Nuno Espirito Santo's Wolverhampton Wanderers

On 01/04/2019 at 20:23, Chevie said:

Well, that went well ... Won the next next game at home to Burnley 2-1 but still got the sack! Guess the experiment is now over. I may create a new career and give it another go but that's me done for now.

If anyone else is trying to replicate this tactic, let me know how you've got on with your versions!

That's a shame, was really enjoying this thread, but you still did a great job replicating the tactic. Well done mate :thup:

30 minutes ago, jc577 said:

That's a shame, was really enjoying this thread, but you still did a great job replicating the tactic. Well done mate :thup:

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it while it lasted :)

14 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

Really disappointed this thread had to come to an end :( I was really optimistic reading it from the first post. I would love to be part of the current Wolves emulation tactic. We really do play a fantastic system

Great read @Chevie

Cheers Shaun, as you probably watch your side quite a bit more than I get the chance to, is there anything stand-out that you would change about this replication?

14 hours ago, Chevie said:

Cheers Shaun, as you probably watch your side quite a bit more than I get the chance to, is there anything stand-out that you would change about this replication?

Coady - It is next to impossible to replicate his role imo. He sits very deep and rarely if ever leaves that position. This is really difficult to pin down in the ME. I am disappointed the Sweeper role has been removed. This is instantly an issue because he is so pivotal to the Wolves system. He is quite literally the first player in it.

Boly - At times, especially in home games and when on the front feet, he is another midfielder. He steps further forward and brings the ball out. I know there is a PPM for that but I think there needs to be another CB role that just isnt there unfortunately. Similar to Coady.

Doherty - At times he hugs the touchline that much he is almost in the stands! But you get what I mean. Again, this is quite difficult in the ME but the moment Coady or Neves get the ball, he is right out there, I cannot get him to do this in the game and I dont want to tinker too much with the defensive/attacking width. It is a pity there is not an option to go inbetween narrow/standard for the defensive narrow shape to help with the transition into attack. 

Jota - He drops deep to link play. Very deep at times. Almost as another midfielder. But then at other times he is running the channels like a madman. Again, difficult role to pin down. I wish there was a different support role in the AM strata for Jota.

For Doherty/Jota. There may be ways to make the above examples with the Team Shape being moved to Fluid but obviously this cannot be done manually.

With TIs I am not sure we play with a high tempo. I think due to the transition from defence into attack it needs to be normal at best. The Wing backs in particular need time to get outwide but it is a hard balance to strike, because at the same time you want Coady/Neves quickly pinging it out.

I know I am biased but I love watching Wolves play since we have moved to 3-5-2/5-3-2. The 3-4-3 from last season was whilst great, I always felt would come unstuck in the top flight due to its lack of control in the centre of the pitch. We have shown real adaptability since the start of December, but really it is only one position. The idea has remained intact and I would love to see the Nuno, quote, "idea" replicated in FM.

• 4 months later...
On 01/04/2019 at 23:11, RocheBag said:

I'm in the same boat. Not using Wolves but I've been playing 3-5-2 on FM since 2013. When I started watching Wolves this year I was amazed they play exactly like I want my teams to play.

I started the season great, killing teams on the counter attack, scoring for fun and conceding nothing. Now I'm sitting in 1st and I can't buy a win. There's no space at all, teams are just defending deep and I've got absolutely no answer for it.

I've tried throwing more men forward, I've tried being more cautious, moving the mentality up and down. Nothing works. The only thing I haven't tried is abandoning the formation which I'm not willing to do.

Do you still have this tactic @RocheBag?

You have played tactics out perfect in the past for me, they have worked a dream, so to get one off you that is also inspired by my beloved Wolves would be ace! I have tried to replicate the Nuno system but to no avail. I know you did a screenshot in this thread but I cannot make out the TIs. Would be great to hear back. 

15 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

Do you still have this tactic @RocheBag?

You have played tactics out perfect in the past for me, they have worked a dream, so to get one off you that is also inspired by my beloved Wolves would be ace! I have tried to replicate the Nuno system but to no avail. I know you did a screenshot in this thread but I cannot make out the TIs. Would be great to hear back. 

Cheers. We seem to enjoy the same type of football based on our interactions on these forums.

The TI were:

Slightly More Direct Passing / Pass Into Space / Play Out Of Defense / Work Ball Into Box / Extremely High Tempo (this has just been a staple of my tactics for years not necessarily based on Wolves)

Distribute to Centerbacks (this was an effort to get Coady on the ball more) / Distribute Quickly / Counter / Counter-Press

More Urgent Pressing

I'm still playing pretty similar systems with all my teams this year. Sometimes I bump the mentality up to attacking and then lower the defensive line when I really want faced paced transitions. 

16 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

Cheers. We seem to enjoy the same type of football based on our interactions on these forums.

The TI were:

Slightly More Direct Passing / Pass Into Space / Play Out Of Defense / Work Ball Into Box / Extremely High Tempo (this has just been a staple of my tactics for years not necessarily based on Wolves)

Distribute to Centerbacks (this was an effort to get Coady on the ball more) / Distribute Quickly / Counter / Counter-Press

More Urgent Pressing

I'm still playing pretty similar systems with all my teams this year. Sometimes I bump the mentality up to attacking and then lower the defensive line when I really want faced paced transitions. 

Hi RocheBag

Yep, it seems we defiantly do! I think it stems back from about the 13 or 14 edition? And to think here we are now over a system my Wolves side play, crazy really. 

But thanks for sharing those details. I will look to definatly incorporate them and see how I get on. Did you have any specific PIs? The Shadow Striker role is one I am interested to try. 

12 minutes ago, shaunwwfc said:

Hi RocheBag

Yep, it seems we defiantly do! I think it stems back from about the 13 or 14 edition? And to think here we are now over a system my Wolves side play, crazy really. 

But thanks for sharing those details. I will look to definatly incorporate them and see how I get on. Did you have any specific PIs? The Shadow Striker role is one I am interested to try. 

The staples are the wingbacks stay wider and close down more to get them out of their flat 5 more often, and the outer CBs stay wider. The others just play by ear.