19.3.3 Update - Any Tactical Tweaks?

Unfortunately, I've just been forced to go online and update my version again, this time to 19.3.3.

Quick question - does this update effect my tactics - general tactics, corners, throw-ins etc - and their effectiveness?

I just had a great save going - successful but challenging. one of those beauties where you're fighting for the league title all season long y'know...

Thanks for the quick reply, HUNT3R. Really appreciate that.

If there's no tactical tweaks I'll be back to my game over the weekend. If there is, I'll be parking FM as I'm not going through the whole process of finding a tactic that works for my players, tweaking it, doing all the set-pieces again and all that lark. It's hugely enjoyable when you start at a new club but you shouldn't have to do it every time there's an update from SI.

@PODSYMAN

I don't have the feeling "the new ME ruined my tactic" since FM16 I think. 

We this, I'm not saying that I play with the same tactic since then, but I'm pretty sure if I go back and replicate that FM16 into FM18 it would do alright, or at least have the same kind of results (good or bad) 

We this I'm trying to say that in the last 3 or 4 years I didn't see any majors changes in the ME, instead I think It been much more a "polish" work, and this dispite the new players roles and tactic instructions. 

The same principals are still valid since then. 

So, even if they're some ME changes, it will, probably, not have any impact in your tactic, if she is built the basic principles of football, with logic and a good choice of roles that work well with each other. 

Frankly speaking it shouldn't, in fact the game has been predictable for me the last few seasons. Just an example, I am going through a handbook I created for FM18 where I created like 12 tactics, and I am revisiting all those to update them for FM19 and all but one is working. All I had to do was set up defensive shape.

I am not saying they work identically, what I mean is that if you have built a solid system giving good thought to how the players should play and chosen the right players for the roles. And, if its a well thought out system which is balanced enough it should work out of the gate. The principles like @Keyzer Soze says should stay the same. 

39 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Frankly speaking it shouldn't, in fact the game has been predictable for me the last few seasons. Just an example, I am going through a handbook I created for FM18 where I created like 12 tactics, and I am revisiting all those to update them for FM19 and all but one is working. All I had to do was set up defensive shape.

I am not saying they work identically, what I mean is that if you have built a solid system giving good thought to how the players should play and chosen the right players for the roles. And, if its a well thought out system which is balanced enough it should work out of the gate. The principles like @Keyzer Soze says should stay the same. 

But we've all been down this road before, Rashidi. I've bought and played every single version of this game - nearly thirty years now. This modern phenomenon of changing the game with updates is infuriating, and unfair to those of us who think their way through the game rather than cheat.

I absolutely guarantee that I will have to spend ages this weekend tweaking my tactics because, for instance, now my striker will get more headers from corners over the season at the near post rather than - as might have been the case before - at the far post. There will be tweaks like this in multitudes if I am to get my team back to where they were before and my season is not to slip away. That is of course, if I decide to stick with the game rather than take a break and wait for the new OOTP.

All of this would be irrelevant, of course, if I could have continued happily playing my 19.2 save game rather than, ludicrously, being forced to update by Steam before FM19 would start today.

Interestingly, a tactic that I used in fm18 now isn’t working anywhere what it did, the main issue is both movement but also final passes. I have players breaking into the final third but players then seem to pass sideways rather than forwards.

this is the biggest difference from fm18, not necessary the movement of forwards but decisions in the final pass

Fieldsy has a good point that I have noticed as well.  I have noticed that movement in the box and the passing around the box is horrendous in FM19.  I have setup the exact same tactic in previous versions and noticed that forwards would make runs and create space.  Forwards would push in to space to get on the end of crosses or through balls.  FM19, I don't see it at all.  None of my forwards will attack a ball in the box.  The decision making is terrible.  If a lone striker or winger is charging a ball down for a counter, they will run it to the closest corner, then cross it with no one anywhere near the 18yrd box or let alone in the attacking half.  It doesn't make sense.  And let's be honest, the cross is just my forward or winger looking for the nearest opposition player so he can kick the ball at him.  I still enjoy playing the game and I love some of the changes they made but the actual game part is not up to SI's usual level.  And what is with each update making the game worse and worse?  Usually each update improves the game, 19.3 has really buggered it. 

In a weird and slightly masochistic way, I kind of like how the updates sometimes push me out of the comfort zone and  force me to rethink my tactics a little bit. In-game it feels like the AI managers are "learning" how to counter my tactics, although of course that's not what's really going on. I enjoy the extra challenge, as sometimes when you get your tactics working well and have built a team with players suited to the way you play, the game can get a bit too easy and eventually boring. If there was an option for the game to intentionally throw a spanner into the works this way from time to time, I would definitely choose it!

That being said, for some reason after the 19.3.0 update my tactic (a 4-1-2-3) actually started working even better than before and I scored more goals, boosting my young Dulwich Hamlet side to a glorious League 2 title! 

15 hours ago, PODSYMAN said:

All of this would be irrelevant, of course, if I could have continued happily playing my 19.2 save game rather than, ludicrously, being forced to update by Steam before FM19 would start today.

Offline mode, my friend. I'm a Mac user and ever since that update this year that made it unplayable on Mac, I've kept my Steam in off-line mode, I only go online when I see on these forums that there's an update and it isn't causing huge problems. 

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

Offline mode, my friend. I'm a Mac user and ever since that update this year that made it unplayable on Mac, I've kept my Steam in off-line mode, I only go online when I see on these forums that there's an update and it isn't causing huge problems. 

I used to do the same zlatanera, agree completely, but now on occasions (presumably after an update) Steam won't let me load FM19 unless I go online...so I have to go online, then the download starts and I'm updated whether I want to be or not.

Is there a way around this, anyone?

2 minutes ago, PODSYMAN said:

I used to do the same zlatanera, agree completely, but now on occasions (presumably after an update) Steam won't let me load FM19 unless I go online...so I have to go online, then the download starts and I'm updated whether I want to be or not.

Weird, was that because Steam itself needed updated as well?

1 minute ago, PequenoGenio said:

Apparently no. Yesterday I had the same problem but the only thing that updated was even the FM. Steam does not.

That's odd, I haven't had that issue, I played for about a week before bothering with the winter transfer update. Could be one of us has a problem with their Steam client, for the sake of my sanity if they ever release another Mac-breaking update, I hope its you 

1 minute ago, PequenoGenio said:

There had to be a way to play online and the updates would only be installed if the user wanted to.

Agreed. This is ridiculous from SI. It used not be an issue.

It's taking the joy completely out of the game.

25 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

What on earth is the "penalty HT bug"??? :idiot:

Where your centre-back, who's scored two jammy headers from corners is handed the ball to complete his hat-trick when your team gets a peno.

The clutz misses. Naturally! And you usually draw or lose.

There's a tick box in the penalty section of the set-pieces section in Tactics where you can toggle this option, but in my version of 19.3 I unclicked that generous option but my penalty taker handed the ball to Shrek nonetheless. He missed. We won 2-1 in the end, but the toggle-box isn't working. 

12 hours ago, PODSYMAN said:

Where your centre-back, who's scored two jammy headers from corners is handed the ball to complete his hat-trick when your team gets a peno.

The clutz misses. Naturally! And you usually draw or lose.

There's a tick box in the penalty section of the set-pieces section in Tactics where you can toggle this option, but in my version of 19.3 I unclicked that generous option but my penalty taker handed the ball to Shrek nonetheless. He missed. We won 2-1 in the end, but the toggle-box isn't working. 

I know about the option of allowing a player who has scored two goals to take a penalty for a potential hat-trick, but really didn't know it's a bug and that even if you untick the option, he will still be the one taking the penalty (rather than the player you selected). Thanx for clarifying :thup:

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 05:59, PODSYMAN said:

I used to get around this by keeping an earlier save of Steam to load in when it wanted me to go online (I had dialup at the time and it was a ponderous process to even get a connection to Steam). I don't remember the specific files involved (I believe it was just the main steam executable and maybe an .ini file, found the method on the Net though)- but when Steam would demand I go online to allow FM to start I would overwrite with the older files and it would let me play offline again.

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

Most of the time that worked Rashidi, but I think there must be some kind of timer (date wise) that eventually triggered- at least that is how it seemed then. 

Yes, that's what happens to me, too. When launching it forces you open Steam online or FM19 won't load.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived