Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
samc44

Midfield Roles in a flat 3 man midfield - Relegation stuggles

*Disclaimer - No screenshots available as im at work, so please go off the detail provided below:

Background - Created my own club starting in the Vanarama National South, having a lot of success, we achieved promotion to the premier league with 5 promotions in 6 seasons. Tactics wise - this changed regularly in order to try to find a way of winning, although I consistently looked to press/counter press throughout all of my tactics. 

My first season in the EPL was a huge success, finishing 14th comfortably, although no player in the squad scored more than 5 goals which was a worry for me. Into the second season, i signed several players and massively improved my squad, managed to get in a few wonderkids including a Mexican striker who already has 50 career league goals at the age of 20, and is currently the Premier League top goalscorer. 3 ahead of Kane with 14 in 21 games despite my team sitting 19th in the table, 6 points adrift of safety. 

The quality of my squad has massively improved, although the team cannot get results at all... we dominate 60% possession in most games, even away at the big sides in the league but still manage to concede more goals than we score, we also concede more penalties than any other team (7 - next closest is 4). Any tips for a struggling side? technically a very gifted team (See below) 

I've included a few players which you will be familiar with: GK Fructl (from Bayern), Tymon LB, Barca wonderkid regen on loan CB, Callum Chambers CB, Tyler Adams RB, CM Lewis Cook, CM Meza Argentinian wonderkid (suited to DLP(D)), CM Poggi Swiss wonderkid (Could play any role, creative), IF Justin Kluivert, IF Reyes (columbian wonderkid), CF Rios (unbelievable 20 year old striker, top EPL goalscorer at the half way point). 

I usually play on balanced style, my team seems to keep the ball well but struggle with scoring/defending counters. 

My questions to you:

• Now you see the situation I am in, my team is more than capable of finishing higher, maybe its too inexperienced or lacking cohesion? Of that XI above, only 3 players were at the club in the previous season. 
  • Good combination of roles for a flat midfield 3 in a gegenpress with 2 IF and a complete forward ahead. Thinking of trying:           DLP(S) - CM(D) - MEZ(s)       Anyone with any experience of this or ideas on if it would be effective?
  • Have you ever found yourself in a relegation battle which you shouldn't have been in? how did you get out?

43 minutes ago, samc44 said:
  • Now you see the situation I am in, my team is more than capable of finishing higher, maybe its too inexperienced or lacking cohesion? Of that XI above, only 3 players were at the club in the previous season. 

Are you judging the players on there potential or actual ability?

43 minutes ago, samc44 said:
  • Good combination of roles for a flat midfield 3 in a gegenpress with 2 IF and a complete forward ahead. Thinking of trying:           DLP(S) - CM(D) - MEZ(s)       Anyone with any experience of this or ideas on if it would be effective?

Dominating possession so much whilst playing gegenpress style is unusual, I notice your using Balanced rather than Positive so have you made other changes?

Whilst you can't post a screenshot the roles+duties and instructions would help a lot to see what you're actually using.  If your getting hit on the counter what are your FBs doing?

Why must it be a flat 3 man midfield? You could use a DLP-De/Su in DM, I know Cook can play there and allow both of the remaining CMs to get forward, but if both wide forwards are IF (support or attack?) what is there purpose, will there space be already taken?  Is the ST dropping to help link or trying to run in behind, if your instructions are more to attack space quickly does your roles+duties match those instructions.  Hence need all the parts of your tactic to point you in the right direction from where you are rather than "use this it worked for me".

Also a fan of the flat midfield 3, my Brighton side play it decently. We're probably an upper midtable side (11-8) on paper but we're 6th and challenging for 4th at present.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but your midfield reads more as a u shape, no? In my 4-3-3 I create an n shape (DLP-S/CM-A/BWM-D). This means I can afford to be more aggressive with my full backs due to the two "holding" type outer midfielders, allowing me to get my wingers (AP-A/IF-S) close to my striker (AF-A). Also on the pitch the shape varies between a 4-2-3-1, a 4-3-3, a 2-2-3-3 in extreme cases, and mainly asymmetric varients of the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1.

The major tactical vulnerability we have is in front of our back 4 (I simply don't have the centre halfs to play an extremely high line to negate this). The other issues for me personally are down to my squad not being good enough as results suggest, rather than tactical.