Sports Interactive Community
Carlf788

4-2-4 wing play= goals galore

Posted (edited)

The 4-2-4 is a tactic I used as Lyon and Arsenal on fm18 and it was so fun to watch and resulted in loads of goals. Regular 7-4 and 5-3 games etc.

I have tested it out again on FM19 on my Fiorentina save and it seems to work again. I have been regularly winning games at home 4-3 and 5-2. It's a flat back 4, 2 deep defensive midfielders and basically a front 4, with 2 pure wingers pushed high up on attack and 2 centre forwards.

The idea been for the 2 deep playmakers just to get the ball wide and forward as quick as possible to create a 4 on 4 situation, with the wingers driving at the defence and  also lots of crosses. My thinking been good players will do more damage the more space they have! It often creates a 4 on 4 situation. This only seems to work at home though for some reason. It gives up most of the possession and I sometimes only even have 35% in some games where I win 5-2. 

Anyone else tried this or think of a similar style in real life? Obviously the better the players the better it worked as it's a bit hit and miss with Fiorentina as I'm only in season 2 and don't have any great players other than Chiesa but with Arsenal I was regularly getting 6 and 7 goals at home. Away from home though it is awful so I don't use it.

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

Edited by Carlf788

I sometimes use a 4-2-4 with IFs instead of wingers and CWBs on attack

With your formation, I recommend you see how you go with a standard or deeper defensive line. You might concede less and create more space for your front 4 to create havoc, especially given your aggressive passing instructions

I cant think of any real life teams who leave 4 players up front when defending unless it's near end of a game.  Having 3 not really help defend leaves a lot for gk+7 to do never mind gk+6.  Its not surprising it's a shoot out.

Personally id prefer a bit more variety with a different duty up front and a different role in CM instead of two playmakers. Maybe in harder games pull wingers back to make a 442 but if your happy with it that's up to you. Not sure why your looking for overlaps when you have wingers on attack and only FB-S behind them. 

On 11/03/2019 at 20:40, Carlf788 said:

Anyone else tried this or think of a similar style in real life?

It is not too dissimilar to how the FM version of Diego Simeone played last year. It can be an absolutely nightmare to defend against, but there is oh so much midfield space to exploit!

It’s not a common system but I did see Bayern put 4 strikers once in a game, so it’s no entirely impossible.

In FM18 I created a 424 and in FM19 I have one too which plays on very attacking mentality. It’s funny though how it keeps the AI pinned in the box but mine plays with orthodox CMs and IWBs.  Out of some  desire to feel anal, I even made a 415 with basically 3AMs needless to say I was ripped through the middle but I will be tweaking it. Gotta love these “in your face” systems they are sooooo “big bully”.

Can they work?  Maybe against the AI, but I gotta do 1v1 on FM Touch to toss these out to unsuspecting players :-)

I tried out a similar formation with Werder after playing a surreal series of draws (1 win and 14 draws in 18 matches) in the first half of the season. We looked nervy at the back and mostly lifeless going forward all season, with no kind of penetration in the final third at all. I was on the brink of getting sacked, so I decided to go down with flying colors:

y4mkUtHOu_PmPOo-jV9Wr8wrUoZd4gjYOglkSa-B

Nevermind Kruse as a WTM by the way, that's an experiment in progress. The IFs are usually Rashica / JEggestein ( Rashica is a dangerous winger by the way, ideal fit for this match engine - can't say that for Kruse, who is a great RL player, but is coded to be absurdly difficult to manage) 

This felt exciting, but suicidal at first, especially with Werder having exactly two decent centre backs for this level and Bargfrede, the only useful  BWM, constantly hurt.

But it has been surprisingly stable, even slightly boring at times. Sometimes I'll put Sahin in there as a DLP for Klaassen and pull him back - that's usually enough to stabilize when I'm getting overrun (or anticipate it  - like in the Leipzig match). RB has been unstoppable all season and clinched the title in April, btw, but was frustrated by my 4 striker formation... .

Counterpressing is obviously important to give the defenders time to sort themselves out - when I don't, possession gets below 40% and the pressure gets uncomfortable.

What I didn't get from this though: the insane spectacle I was going for (Augsburg game excepted, but they really went for it as well). Slightly better attacking play, but nothing spectacular.

y4mjSLn7NUvyvX74dD8xVWShkb7oegPKgmD3_-2M

Used a 4-2-4 in a FM18 save.  Brought a VNS team in Championship in successive seasons.  I agree about the goal galore!  I loved to play that system...  Got two great CMs though, it helped a lot on the defensive side of things.  In Championship, for 2nd season, I changed it with 2 DMs instead of CMs (found myself a very decent Secondo Volante) and I got the promotion that year through play-offs. 

I use a 4-2-4 WB wide. It works great with low level untalented teams. With it I took Notts County to the Premier League in back to back to back promotions, and Hamilton Academical to the Champions League in my second season there. 

As others said, it requires midfielders who can mark and tackle. The winger/IF combo works best when they have good pace. At forward I’ve had success with target man & pressing forward combinations. 

In most matches the system results in 20+ shots, about half on target, and 2 to 5 goals. Usually about 55% possession. Surprisingly the defense gives up very little. 

I think it is a very interesting system, just another extrame compared to pass and move system(Tiki-taka). Only one little suggestion that it may work better if remove the overlap left/right instruction. Because this instruction will lower the mentality of the two wingers, while in a high tempo system, the overlap of fullbacks may be not very effective (they need time to catch up with wingers so more suitable for low tempo system).