Football Manager 2019 installation advice needed

Hi, I have a few questions about installing FM 2019.

1. My Desktop PC has a small 128Gb SSD C: drive where Windows 10 is installed. It also has a separate 1 Terabyte internal standard hard drive. Because the SSD is quite small. Is it OK to install Steam and FM2019 onto the standard hard drive (which is D: Data) ? I intend to save all my games onto the standard hard drive D: (From what Ive read the benefits of installing FM2019 onto the SSD would be minimal anyway). Would that be OK?

2. In order to save space on the SSD I have relocated my personal folders (Documents, photos, downloads etc) onto the D: drive (D:/Documents). Does FM2019 still create a SportsInteractive folder in the Documents folder to store saved games etc? If so will there be a problem because my Documents folder isnt in the default place (C;/Users/myname/Documents)?

3. I am also curious to know what happens If I have set up a career save but I change my PC in a couple of months time. How do I go about ensuring that I can continue with the save game on the new PC. What would you have to do regarding the installation on a new PC?

• Administrators

1 - It can sometimes cause issues but if you're careful it should be fine. 

2 - If your personal folders have been relocated the game should understand that, but if you not you can change it manually by following the instructions here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2019/180_how-to/181_pc/how-to-change-the-sports-interactive-folder-location-r635/

3 - Two ways. One, you can manually move the files yourself (be it via USB/any cloud space you have etc). Two, you can save directly to Steam's cloud. Details on how to do this here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2019/179_getting-started/how-can-i-make-sure-my-save-game-has-completed-to-the-cloud-r654/

I have Windows on one SSD, game and steam another and the files on a HDD. It all works fine and as Neil said, as long are you’re careful and don’t rush the installation then you’ll be good to go. 

I back the game up on a separate HDD and all the files occasiated with it just in case. 

On 10/03/2019 at 11:06, Neil Brock said:

1 - It can sometimes cause issues but if you're careful it should be fine. 

2 - If your personal folders have been relocated the game should understand that, but if you not you can change it manually by following the instructions here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2019/180_how-to/181_pc/how-to-change-the-sports-interactive-folder-location-r635/

3 - Two ways. One, you can manually move the files yourself (be it via USB/any cloud space you have etc). Two, you can save directly to Steam's cloud. Details on how to do this here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2019/179_getting-started/how-can-i-make-sure-my-save-game-has-completed-to-the-cloud-r654/

Thanks very much Neil for your help. You say in Question 3 that you can manually move the files yourself from a USB flash drive. So do you just reinstall FM2019 on the new PC so that it reinstalls all the games user data folders (the Sportsinteractive folder etc) to my personal folder (Documents)... then copy over the saved game file from the USB flash drive to the saved game folder? Is there anything else that needs to be copied over besides the saved game file? Do any Hall of Fame changes that occurred during your save  get automatically included in the saved game? I would want to be sure that I had copied every single thing over

On 10/03/2019 at 12:38, Tarrantino said:

I have Windows on one SSD, game and steam another and the files on a HDD. It all works fine and as Neil said, as long are you’re careful and don’t rush the installation then you’ll be good to go. 

I back the game up on a separate HDD and all the files occasiated with it just in case. 

How do you back up the game...do you mean the whole steam game folder?

18 hours ago, sportsfan67016 said:

How do you back up the game...do you mean the whole steam game folder?

I back up the whole folder that gets stored in the documents folder. This’ll be where the save game gets stored along with saved matches and graphic tweaks  

If you’ve made any database changes you’ll need to store them too. 

9 hours ago, Tarrantino said:

I back up the whole folder that gets stored in the documents folder. This’ll be where the save game gets stored along with saved matches and graphic tweaks  

If you’ve made any database changes you’ll need to store them too. 

If you ever had a saved game that you wanted to transfer from an old PC onto a brand new PC..Im guessing you'd install FM again from scratch. By doing that it would install a clean FM or Sportsinteractive folder (or whatever its called nowadays) in Documents. Do you then copy over the entire contents of the whole folder that you backed up...and paste it onto the FM folder newly created by the FM installation in Documents. By that I mean you select your  backup copy of  the Sportsinteractive folder on your flash drive which contains every single thing that the original FM installation created on your old PC (not just the saved game) and Copy and Paste it onto the Sportsinteractive folder in Documents that your new FM installation has just created. 

Is everything that is required included in that Sportsinteractive folder thats stored in your Documents Folder? Does the FM installation take care of everything else? I was also wondering what happens with the Hall Of Fame from your saved game

30 minutes ago, sportsfan67016 said:

If you ever had a saved game that you wanted to transfer from an old PC onto a brand new PC..Im guessing you'd install FM again from scratch. By doing that it would install a clean FM or Sportsinteractive folder (or whatever its called nowadays) in Documents. Do you then copy over the entire contents of the whole folder that you backed up...and paste it onto the FM folder newly created by the FM installation in Documents. By that I mean you select your  backup copy of  the Sportsinteractive folder on your flash drive which contains every single thing that the original FM installation created on your old PC (not just the saved game) and Copy and Paste it onto the Sportsinteractive folder in Documents that your new FM installation has just created. 

Is everything that is required included in that Sportsinteractive folder thats stored in your Documents Folder? Does the FM installation take care of everything else? I was also wondering what happens with the Hall Of Fame from your saved game

I would for example go here D:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019 and copy everything from here onto my portable HDD. Then use this if I have to reinstall. This includes all of the custom databases that are available like Level 10 English. Any matches saved and game files from your saves. It all also contain any graphics you have for example. 

I would then copy this back into the same destination if I reinstalled FM19 from scratch. 

I don't change anything else except for (and you got to google this) FM19 German team name fix. 

As for the hall of fame? I wouldn't know. Perhaps it's included in the save game file. Never look at it. 

5 minutes ago, Tarrantino said:

I would for example go here D:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019 and copy everything from here onto my portable HDD. Then use this if I have to reinstall. This includes all of the custom databases that are available like Level 10 English. Any matches saved and game files from your saves. It all also contain any graphics you have for example. 

I would then copy this back into the same destination if I reinstalled FM19 from scratch. 

I don't change anything else except for (and you got to google this) FM19 German team name fix. 

As for the hall of fame? I wouldn't know. Perhaps it's included in the save game file. Never look at it. 

Thanks for the guidance mate. I asked the question about transferring a saved game to a new PC in case I decide to also run the game on a laptop I have as well.  Its going to be a bit of a learning curve as Im going to be doing everything from scratch because I don't currently have a Steam account as yet. Also the SSD drive on my new PC with Windows 10 on it is only 128 GB so I plan to install Steam and all of my Games onto the second drive (D: Data) which is a 1 Terabyte internal HDD

3 hours ago, sportsfan67016 said:

Thanks for the guidance mate. I asked the question about transferring a saved game to a new PC in case I decide to also run the game on a laptop I have as well.  Its going to be a bit of a learning curve as Im going to be doing everything from scratch because I don't currently have a Steam account as yet. Also the SSD drive on my new PC with Windows 10 on it is only 128 GB so I plan to install Steam and all of my Games onto the second drive (D: Data) which is a 1 Terabyte internal HDD

Np. Just keeps your files away from any Windows 10 issues. Which is what happened to me. I had just a HDD and it went belly up. Luckily I salvaged it and then went with the SSDs. 

I supposs if you you want to run on both maybe save the data to a flash drive and use between the two. Have a backup elsewhere? Just thinking outside the box a bit. 

15 hours ago, Tarrantino said:

Np. Just keeps your files away from any Windows 10 issues. Which is what happened to me. I had just a HDD and it went belly up. Luckily I salvaged it and then went with the SSDs. 

I supposs if you you want to run on both maybe save the data to a flash drive and use between the two. Have a backup elsewhere? Just thinking outside the box a bit. 

Did you lose your personal documents on Windows 10 back in October when the 1809 feature update was released and lots of users lost some of their personal data after the update or was it just a drive issue and you had to clean install Windows 10?

What I do is back up my personal Documents folder, Photos etc to a USB flash drive on a weekly basis. I have two flash drives backups and rotate them every other week just in case one of them ever goes faulty.

Is the Sportsinteractive folder that gets created in your Documents folder only used to store files that are relevant to your own personal game setup (saved games etc)?  I just want to be sure that when you copy over the entire Sportsinteractive folder from your backup onto the freshly created Sportsinteractive folder that is created when you do a new installation of FM onto your PC that it doesn't mess up any files that the new FM installation needs to run the game? Are the FM installation files installed during Steam installation totally unaffected by what is copied across from the backed up Sportsinteractive folder?

5 minutes ago, sportsfan67016 said:

Did you lose your personal documents on Windows 10 back in October when the 1809 feature update was released and lots of users lost some of their personal data after the update or was it just a drive issue and you had to clean install Windows 10?

What I do is back up my personal Documents folder, Photos etc to a USB flash drive on a weekly basis. I have two flash drives backups and rotate them every other week just in case one of them ever goes faulty.

Is the Sportsinteractive folder that gets created in your Documents folder only used to store files that are relevant to your own personal game setup (saved games etc)?  I just want to be sure that when you copy over the entire Sportsinteractive folder from your backup onto the freshly created Sportsinteractive folder that is created when you do a new installation of FM onto your PC that it doesn't mess up any files that the new FM installation needs to run the game? Are the FM installation files installed during Steam installation totally unaffected by what is copied across from the backed up Sportsinteractive folder?

I didn't because I was able to get a hold of a used SSD to just install Windows on temporarily and then backup all of my files. Then got my new SSDs for my current setup. I don't think it was a driver update but it was back in September so just before the big problems there. 

I'm not in front of my PC now as I was last night, but from memory it is just additional databases, graphics, save game files. The game gets installed here Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Football Manager 2019. My setup is F: Programs and files e.g. Save Game is D:

I didn't have FM19 when I had the issue in September (obviously) but you can save into the cloud with FM so the file would carry all of information for the save. You can add graphics any time that doesn't affect the save. e.g. On FM15 I'd change the backgrounds to newer stadiums and that was a simple copy and paste. 

5 minutes ago, Tarrantino said:

I didn't because I was able to get a hold of a used SSD to just install Windows on temporarily and then backup all of my files. Then got my new SSDs for my current setup. I don't think it was a driver update but it was back in September so just before the big problems there. 

I'm not in front of my PC now as I was last night, but from memory it is just additional databases, graphics, save game files. The game gets installed here Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Football Manager 2019. My setup is F: Programs and files e.g. Save Game is D:

I didn't have FM19 when I had the issue in September (obviously) but you can save into the cloud with FM so the file would carry all of information for the save. You can add graphics any time that doesn't affect the save. e.g. On FM15 I'd change the backgrounds to newer stadiums and that was a simple copy and paste. 

You say "The game gets installed here Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Football Manager 2019"

Does that mean your Steam Football Manager Installation is on drive F:? Im not sure I understand what you meant when you said .."My setup is F: Programs and files e.g. Save Game is D:"

2 minutes ago, sportsfan67016 said:

You say "The game gets installed here Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Football Manager 2019"

Does that mean your Steam Football Manager Installation is on drive F:? Im not sure I understand what you meant when you said .."My setup is F: Programs and files e.g. Save Game is D:"

Ok when I installed steam I pointed it to install on my SSD for my applications and programs which is F:Program Files..... in my setup. I have my HDD which is all of my photos, videos and other files. This is D:\Users\XXXX...

The save game files get placed into your documents by default so as mine is pointing to D: that gets created there. 

When I installed FM19 at Christmas it went on the same path as steam onto my programs SSD. 

19 minutes ago, Tarrantino said:

Ok when I installed steam I pointed it to install on my SSD for my applications and programs which is F:Program Files..... in my setup. I have my HDD which is all of my photos, videos and other files. This is D:\Users\XXXX...

The save game files get placed into your documents by default so as mine is pointing to D: that gets created there. 

When I installed FM19 at Christmas it went on the same path as steam onto my programs SSD. 

Cheers mate. That's what I thought you meant but I just wanted to check. My setup should be fairly similar except my SSD (C:) is just Windows 10. My HDD (D:) will have All my Games and most Apps, Steam and FM19 and Personal Folders (Documents etc) which I have relocated there from the C: drive

Archived