I've co-written an article for the World Cup preview e-magazine supporting CALM, so here is me shilling it:

My contribution is in parts of the Iran preview. If you want the full in-depth unedited solo version because you really wanna know about the Iran team, I can post it. Only a shame they chose not to go in depth about their surprising attacking talent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FMS Awards 2018

I know its still alittle early but I'm letting you lot know that the awards will be taking place Sunday September 30th at @ 8pm (BST). (Its a week earlier than normal due to the normal weekend I'll be away celebrating my 40th birthday).

The main reason I'm letting you know is that the main voting will start around the end of August / early September.

However due to the amount of stories we have had this year their will be a preliminary round of voting for a few catergories beginning the end of July.

All authors will be required to vote in this round if they want their story to progress into the final round vote

This year the catergories are (so far) as follows:

Story of The Year

Short Story of the Year

English Story of the Year

Rest of the World Story of the Year

International Story of the Year

Story Character of the Year

Newcomer of the Year

The Terk/Raptor/Wilson Builders Award (FMS'er of the Year)

Writer of the Year

Hall of Fame 

If I've missed any catergory or you lot think of one which is viable to do please let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Guys the link for this forthcoming FMS Fantasy Football League is pinned to the top of the page.

Those interested please sign up and enter your new team name on the page. 

Cheers Mark

On 28/06/2018 at 14:00, mark wilson27 said:

FMS Awards 2018

I know its still alittle early but I'm letting you lot know that the awards will be taking place Sunday September 30th at @ 8pm (BST). (Its a week earlier than normal due to the normal weekend I'll be away celebrating my 40th birthday).

The main reason I'm letting you know is that the main voting will start around the end of August / early September.

However due to the amount of stories we have had this year their will be a preliminary round of voting for a few catergories beginning the end of July.

All authors will be required to vote in this round if they want their story to progress into the final round vote

This year the catergories are (so far) as follows:

Story of The Year

Short Story of the Year

English Story of the Year

Rest of the World Story of the Year

International Story of the Year

Story Character of the Year

Newcomer of the Year

The Terk/Raptor/Wilson Builders Award (FMS'er of the Year)

Writer of the Year

Hall of Fame 

If I've missed any catergory or you lot think of one which is viable to do please let me know

Just so you know the voting for the preliminary rounds will be up soon, as at the end of the month I will be otherwise engaged and wont have time to do them. The voting deadlines will follow as the above quote states

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Sorry I've haven't been here for a while. Work has been a bit busy over in Shanghai. Plus Internet's not the best over there so sometimes it can get frustrating trying to get online.

I'm back in Singapore this week though so just thought I'll pop in to say Hi and see what's what. :)

Club name of the Day: High Quality United from Bhutan (stolen from Makoto Nakamura's thread)

They have a logo that looks like a Rennaissance painting but if it was football that was God.

High_Quality_United_logo.png

They're not in FM07, but Quality Distributors are (from good old Guam again)

quality-distributors-logo-dededo--618.jp

You can tell they are a business because they use .biz like a business would...

Have a good time mark, we'll do our best not to burn the place down in the meantime!

@salkster2102 (moving it here to avoid cluttering the FFL thread too much) Doing fine for the most part. Got FM18 for cheap a couple of weeks ago, thought about trying the Ultimate FM Challenge (aka Basically the Five Crowns Challenge But Somehow Tougher) and posting updates in the thread, found out I did remember the password for my account (see, memory is useful sometimes :D), and then I figured I should drop by the Stories forum and see how you lot were doing after all this time.

How's life around here going? I see activity is low-ish, but I'm gonna blame the summer for at least some of that...

There's not long to go until the new season of the increasingly crazy Premier League, where Richarlison is apparently worth £40million and six clubs take all the headlines. Just like last year, I'll put my dignity on the line first and predict what will happen over the next nine months:

1. Manchester City - I don't think we've ever had a Premier League where one team is so far ahead of all the others. City's great entertainers will sweep all before them again, though they probably won't reach 100 points this time.

2. Liverpool - If anyone can challenge the Sky Blues, it's Klopp's clan. While I don't expect Salah to go on another goal blitz like last season, the additions of Alisson and Fabinho should make an excellent team more solid.

3. Tottenham Hotspur - With the new stadium delay and the post-World Cup hangover, I expect Spuds to start slowly. A team with the attacking talents of Kane, Son and (ahem) Llorente won't be kept down for long, mind.

4. Arsenal - For the first time in ages, I'm feeling a sense of optimism about the Gunners. We've recruited wisely (and mainly from Germany), and Emery should freshen up a team that has gone stale of late.

5. Chelsea - It's not a good idea to start pre-season with one coach and end it with another. I'm not convinced that Sarri can get the Blues back in the top four, even less so if their Belgian superstars leave.

6. Manchester United - Mourinho has sucked all the flair and creativity out of his players, and he's in his third season at Old Trafford. The sooner the Portuguese Morrissey goes, the better for United.

7. West Ham United - The Hammers have the potential to either crack the top six or completely go off the rails. With Pellegrini, Anderson, and a half-decent keeper, they'll probably be a lot closer to the former than the latter.

8. Everton - I would like to see the Toffees get back amongst England's elite soon, not least because they have 'Jordan Banks' in goal. Silva should get them off to a strong start before he starts dreaming of Chelsea.

9. Wolverhampton Wanderers - Jorge Mendes FC dominated the Championship and looked more than ready for the PL. However, it might be a year too soon for the swashbuckling Midlanders to think about Europe.

10. Leicester City - Leicester start the season poorly, fears of relegation grow, form becomes inconsistent, manager is sacked at a strange time, new coach regalvanises team, Foxes finish in mid-table. Rinse and repeat.

11. Brighton & Hove Albion - Chris Hughton's recruitment policy seems to consist entirely of signing any foreigner who has a slighly amusing name (Bong, Schelotto, Gross, Propper, etc). Mind you, it sure is effective.

12. Crystal Palace - The Eagles somehow survived after having the worst start in PL history. Woy's boys look set for a less stressful season if Zaha continues to shine and Milivojevic keeps scoring penalties.

13. Newcastle United - If Rafa was actually given any money to spend, Newcastle would be as dangerous as a Jonjo Shelvey tackle. Their one big buy Muto could be hit or miss up front, but relegation looms if it's the latter.

14. Fulham - With Ryan 'Only 18' Sessegnon and Tom Cairney eager to make their mark on the top flight, Fulham could be a breath of fresh air. Jokanovic's squad does lack depth, though, so a couple of injuries could spell disaster.

15. Burnley - Sir Sean Dyche delighted Brexiteers everywhere by guiding Burnley into Europe, where they heroically scraped past Aberdeen. That said, the Clarets' continental exploits could seriously disrupt their league form.

16. AFC Bournemouth - Having overacheived for so long, the Cherries' top-flight adventure could now be nearing its end. Lewis Cook looks very exciting in midfield, though it's the defence I'm more concerned about.

17. Southampton - They had one of the country's best academy systems, but now Southampton have abandoned their principles for Hughes-ball. With limited firepower, the Saints might have to rely on their defence to stay up.

18. Watford - Replacing your coach as regularly as you change your clothes is bound to backfire one day. I can't see this ever-changing group of average Joes and Udinese cast-offs surviving if Javi Gracia isn't given time.

19. Huddersfield Town - The underdog Terriers have had their day. Second-season syndrome will bite David Wagner's team in the backside, largely because they don't have enough bite of their own.

20. Cardiff City - I'm not expecting Derby 2007 all over again, but I don't expect anything from a promoted team who have so few PL-quality players. Warnock will be enjoying his severance pay (and retirement) at Christmas.

1) Liverpool - Fine I'm calling it. They have a goalkeeper, fixing their big weakness. Arsene must be baffled.

2) City - City's lack of transfers is a big concern for defending champions, and Liverpool have their number.

3) Man Utd - Judging only on BBC article comments, Man Utd are back to having everyone in a rage. If people can't stop talking about you, you must've annoyed them. Probably by finishing above them easily. Not close to City yet though.

4) Arsenal - The Wenger holes being filled and everyone gelling now should see them win back the coveted Top 4 Trophy.

5) Chelsea - A relatively disastrous first few months with a system that hasn't been trained, especially if it's Willy in goal, a back 2 with Luiz, a striker who is more about getting the wingers goals, but the wingers themselves are going, before time and transfers fix it.

6) Spurs - So the sought-after manager says spend money and top 4 isn't good enough or I'm gone, then you sign no one except maybe 1 or 2 panic buys on deadline day. That'll end well.

7) Brighton - Because I'm unbiased. A manager with a mindblowing record in the market and should've always been a media-spouted contender for the England job (also Bielsa) above sodding Pardew, Shearer and Neville.

8) Everton - Stability and improved performances, but where's your top class striker already?

9) Burnley - Dyche to keep performing miracles despite a Spurs/Newcastle-calibre window.

10) Huddersfield - They seem to know what they're doing.

11) Palace - An unspectacular season for the team with 'he's a nice little player' players and a boring midtable manager.

12) West Ham - I'm guessing they'll do decent now.

13) Leicester - Them too

14) Wolves - Galacticos will see them safe but not enough to surpass the established teams like the few above. (Not that it went well for QPR.)

15) Cardiff - Only for Neil Warnock

16) Bournemouth - Reality is gradually setting in, as other clubs spend or improve or get out of last season's ruts.

17) Southampton - Seems a bit of a mess now.

18) Watford - And them. That they seemingly randomly sack managers at the end of each season and call it a 'plan', and probably believe it, annoys me.

19) Fulham - I hear they play open, attacking football and plan to stick with it, so I figure they're gonna get destroyed. How'd they get Schurrle though?

20) Newcastle United - Rafa must be going any time now. Right when the window closes? The moment form drops? When any nice job comes along?

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

11. Brighton & Hove Albion - Chris Hughton's recruitment policy seems to consist entirely of signing any foreigner who has a slighly amusing name (Bong, Schelotto, Gross, Propper, etc). Mind you, it sure is effective.

Just signed Billy Arce.

2 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Just signed Billy Arce.

Is that your nickname for Anders 'And' Dreyer, who's just signed from Esbjerg? :p

EDIT: Forget that. Only just noticed you really did sign Billy Arce.

Just now, git2thachoppa said:

Yeah, just noticed that, hence the quick edit that wasn't quick enough. :D

It probably won't be long before you sign Elias 'Hooked on a Feeling' Abouchabaka as well.

A post from 2009 seems to have saved my story. :lol:

I got an error trying to save, but I went to the options and ticked to compress save games and it's saved.

So a save of 2GB seems to be the cut-off point. If so, it should last a long while yet with compressed saves... it'll just take 10 minutes to save a game...

Random question guys, Does anyone know how to set up a league table. Where all I have to do is input the scores and it automatically sorts everything out.

Basically i was looking at seeing what all your lots predictions would like at the season, pretty much how the BBC do for Lawro at the end of the season.

I want to make it so I dont have to put every single bit of detail in the table of you get what I mean

17 minutes ago, Dalbeider said:

Haven't tested it, but this looks like it could be useful.

If not maybe a google spreadsheet with the right formulas could work. Gimme a shout if you need one, I can probably get one working.

Cheers I'll give it a try and let you know

1 hour ago, Dalbeider said:

Haven't tested it, but this looks like it could be useful.

If not maybe a google spreadsheet with the right formulas could work. Gimme a shout if you need one, I can probably get one working.

Just tried it , unfortunately it wont let me do more than ten teams..However I will search through their site when I get back from work and see if it can be increased further..Cheers again

Ooh we're doing predictions eh? I'll do mine soon, even though the season has started. Cheating I know. :p

Meanwhile, just a random question for you lot. What's the biggest win you've ever had in CM/FM, in any sort of game (official/friendly/whatever)?

Officially, the biggest win I've had was with Dagenham in my FM13 story save. We beat Oxford 7-0 away from home in League One. (That record has actually been broken since, but I've not reached that point in the story yet.)

In a very old CM99/00 save where I managed every Major League Soccer team (I was about 12, forgive me), MetroStars once beat Los Angeles 10-0 (after LA had their keeper sent off and were forced to put a defender in goal). I'm not counting that. :D

36 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

Meanwhile, just a random question for you lot. What's the biggest win you've ever had in CM/FM, in any sort of game (official/friendly/whatever)?

Seoul 0 - 8 Busan in the 2nd leg of the K League 1 title playoff in 2024 turns out to be my biggest.

But I'm sure I got double figures in previous games when I accidentally made friendlies with sides who were still on holiday and had to play greys.

3 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Just tried it , unfortunately it wont let me do more than ten teams..However I will search through their site when I get back from work and see if it can be increased further..Cheers again

There's a slightly different version here which seems to allow any number of teams. Things break a bit when you get to the high twenties, though, but I imagine it should be enough for your purposes.

16 hours ago, BenArsenal said:

My biggest win was Manchester United v Bayern Munich in a FM13 save, was trailing 4-0 in the 1st leg of the Champions League 1/4 Final. The second leg I put out a 3-2-5 formation all out attack knowing I wouldn't get through. Beat them 9-0.

The biggest loss I ever had was 15-0 against West Ham United as manager of TNS in the Group Stage of the Europa Cup

My worst defeat was also with Dagenham in my FM13 career. It was the 9-1 pasting Manchester United gave us in the Premier League after I momentarily lost all concentration at half-time. (Note to self: when you bring on a right-winger, make sure he's not playing in central midfield.)

I'll answer my own question in a bit, but first let me get in my long overdue predictions...

1) Manchester City - I think they have the quality to do it again but it won't be as straightforward a stroll as they had last season. Liverpool, for one, will look to run them close. Speaking of which...

2) Liverpool - Klopp has bought well, so much so that Coutinho has hardly been missed. The fearsome trio of Firmino, Mane and Salah (FMS? Heh) will pick up from where they left off, and having the likes of Shaqiri in reserve speaks volumes of their potential depth. Defence could still be better but they look much more settled now with Van Dijk.

3) Arsenal - Wishful thinking perhaps, but I do wish Emery well. He too has done relatively decent business in the transfer market, and Guendouzi in particular looks like a gem waiting to be polished. One area of concern might be the defence but I think once they get their groove together as a unit, and led by the returning Koscielny, we could be a force to be reckoned with.

4) Tottenham Hotspur - Sure they have a good thing going with Kane, Eriksen, Son et al, but no transfers in could be a huge risk. It's worth noting that a number of their key players went quite far in the World Cup and thus started the season with very little rest, so fatigue will definitely set in sooner rather than later.

5) Chelsea - Their handling of Conte and later Courtois was farcical, to say the least, and there's no way that this squad is in any way settled, at least as of right now. Remember also that the transfer window is still open for other leagues and if Real Madrid suddenly went crazy and make a ridiculous offer for Hazard, Chelsea are screwed. (I've always thought this new transfer window rule is stupid anyway since different leagues start at different times)

6) Manchester United - Mourinho will be sacked before Christmas, I bet. Where they go from there depends on who comes in after.

7) Everton - I think Marco Silva is a talented young manager, and the players he've brought in are quality. If he can keep everyone fit and their heads screwed on together, The Toffees could go far.

8) Leicester City - I think Leicester have done very well to capitalise on their title win two seasons ago (wow) and transform themselves into a team that could, at the very least, regularly finish in the top half, and maybe even challenge for Europe. Definitely a strong contender for The Best of The Rest.

9) Fulham - A flurry of new signings on deadline day was impressive work for The Cottagers, but honestly it could go either way. I wish them well, but it all depends on how quickly their players gel.

10) Wolverhampton Wanderers - I'm not a fan of how Wolves have gone about their business, as it seems a bit like cheating. But dodgy dealings or not, there's no question that their players are quality. Top half is probable but I'm thinking mid table.

11) Burnley - I think Burnley could potentially suffer from post-Europe hangover. They haven't actually added much to their squad, and if they go far in the Europa League, that could cost them.

12) Newcastle United - Despite the grumblings from Benitez, I think Newcastle have enough quality to stay firmly in mid table.

13) West Ham United - Last season was a bit of a disaster for The Hammers, but they now have a wily and canny manager at the helm in Pellegrini. Title winners they won't be, but they will be safe from relegation at least.

14) Huddersfield Town - I think Wagner is quite an underrated manager, and while last season was a bit of a struggle, Huddersfield do have the quality to do better. This season will be an improvement hopefully.

15) Bournemouth - More consolidation for Eddie Howe's men, but I don't see much progress from The Cherries, and they could even be sucked into the relegation battle if they're not careful.

16) Southampton - Another south coast side that could struggle, and while Southampton have a decent-ish squad, Dusan Tadic is a big loss. Their biggest weakness is probably their manager though, and I predict that Mark Hughes won't last the season.

17) Brighton & Hove Albion - I think Brighton is another side with which anything can happen, and they could easily prove me wrong by finishing mid-table (probably swap for Fulham or Wolves in my predictions), but they could also struggle which is what I think will happen this season.

18) Watford - Much has been said about the revolving door at Vicarage Road but I think this could be the season that it backfires. The relegation race will be tight this season I think, and there is a good probability that The Hornets will end up as losers.

19) Crystal Palace - Did you know that Yohan Cabaye left the club this summer? I'm surprised that there wasn't a big deal made out of this, because the Frenchman was class. Kouyate is a bit of a coup from West Ham but I'm afraid it might not be enough for Hodgson's boys.

20) Cardiff City - Warnock is an insufferable old codger, a less successful Allardyce or Redknapp. Cardiff look ill-equipped to survive their second crack at the Premier League, and a swift return back to the Championship beckons.

25 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

10) Wolverhampton Wanderers - I'm not a fan of how Wolves have gone about their business, as it seems a bit like cheating. But dodgy dealings or not, there's no question that their players are quality. Top half is probable but I'm thinking mid table.

I made it clear what I thought of Wolves' practices - and modern football in general - when they convinced Ruben Neves to leave Porto and join them last year. This feels like a Jorge Mendes ego trip that could end in A) Wolves signing Ronaldo and breaking into the top four by 2021, or B) Mendes getting bored of his toy and Wolves spiralling out of control a la Portsmouth.

Part of me wants the Wolves experiment to fail. Another part of me wants them to seriously challenge the Premier League's big boys, because even as an Arsenal fan, it would be a shame if the top six PL teams of the 2010s became the top six in perpetuity.

The only reason I don't think Cardiff will finish last is that I think Warnock will be axed pretty quickly and they'll bring in Big Sam to try and steer them to 17th. After they were so poor under Solkskjaer in their first attempt in the PL I think they'll have a much shorter leash with their manager.  If/when Allardyce comes in, I can see them being the obligatory "tough out" that no one wants to play. 

Having said all that, I still think they'll go down, along with Huddersfield and Southampton.  Not sure what the odds are on Burnley to go down but that might be something I put a small bet on, as well. (Don't think it will happen but there might be some value there)

Agree with you there CFuller. Wolves in the Champions League might make things interesting, but I will feel the same way about it as I felt when Man City broke into the elite with their oil riches.

Meanwhile, this is my biggest win on FM (apologies for picture/screenshot):

97740921_Woodlands28-0One.thumb.jpg.3c3bdb9d73c8ed9d277a939155fcaf03.jpg

Slightly cheating as it's an edited database (Woodlands are not at first playable in the game) and the opponents are some amateur Malaysian team, but even then I wasn't really expecting that. 83 shots is just insane! I feel sorry for the poor chap who scored two own goals...

Full list of scorers:

525950461_Woodlands28-0Scorers.thumb.png.b9e53c1218cdef95e6bc60a25beb5621.png

I posted this in the Book Thread in OTF but in case some of you guys don't get there. I just got a proposed cover for my second novel; curious for opinions.

What do you guys think of the image? Would it catch your eye? Anything you'd suggest changing? 

cover.jpg

3/5 "Same thing again." :D

I'm not really into novels (though I did quite enjoy the Scott Manson series by the late Philip Kerr), so I'm not really in your target audience. I am, though, a little interested as to why you've spelt "tzar" in that way, when "tsar" and "czar" are more common spellings.

Man City have a documentary out on Amazon, but the original one from the 1981 was pretty engrossing and has crazy insight and bizarre/funny behind-the-scenes events.

It starts with Malcolm Allison, a cigar-smoking Clough-a-like about to get sacked.

We get to see the bizarre job interview (featuring the chairman flipping his matchbook from boredom) with the eventual next manager John Bond, who is pretty much Roy Hodgson.

We also see Bond's first introduction to his new squad and him Hodgson-ly going through the rules and all the ways you can get fined in a direct copy of The Simpsons' That's A Paddlin' speech.

Though it would turn out it would be a very good appointment for City.

Meanwhile, Allison has gone back to Crystal Palace, who he would get relegated by the end of the season. But first, Man City draw Palace and Allison in the cup.

So we get to see the dynamic there, ending with a passive-aggressive Bond gloating right next to friend and former team-mate Allison at a 'press conference', claiming he needs to be on a leash and he's not scared of him any more.

BTW the 'press conferences' involve a few reporters standing around the manager's desk with a notepad while sipping wine.

Here's just the job interview and introduction to the squad:

2 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Hi guys, with the Final Round voting beginning. Could do with some ideas at a venue

Also if anyone wants to open a betting thread feel free to do so

Trump's partially-built death star (I mean United States Space Force).

trump-death-star-small.jpg

So, Champions League (and Europa League) has finally, officially kicked off with the fancy Group Stage draw. Predictions then:

Group A
Very intriguing. I would say Atletico, Dortmund and Monaco are on fairly similar levels, so it'll be very tight to decide which of them three to miss out on qualifying. Probably Atletico and Dortmund, but it'll be close.

Group B
The (Original) Ronaldo Group, plus Tottenham. I just thought it was an interesting quirk that this group contains three teams that Fat Ronaldo has played for. Besides that however, this group will also be quite close to call. Barca to win it maybe, but Inter will give Spurs a hell of a time. PSV are no pushovers either.

Group C
I think PSG will be strong enough to come out on top, but Liverpool should get a clear second place ahead of Napoli. Red Star Belgrade will offer an interesting trip East but will pose no major challenge.

Group D
The most even group of all perhaps. Any one of the four can win it, but my money's on Porto to come up tops and Schalke second.

Group E
Bayern clear favourites for this one. Second place to be battled between Benfica and Ajax. Could go either way.

Group F
Damn have Man City got lucky here. Interesting challenges from Shakhtar, Lyon and Hoffenheim, but none will have the quality to stop Pep's machine. Lyon will probably get second but I'd like to see Hoffenheim do well.

Group G
Two clear favourites here. Real Madrid tops, Roma second.

Group H
The most interesting group by far, if only for the storylines. Ronaldo and Pogba face off against their old teams, but there's also Valencia, owned by that friend of United, Peter Lim. Poor Young Boys.

My predictions: we'll pip Sporting to top spot in our group, despite contriving to draw away to either Qarabag or Vorskla, if not both. That's Arsenal for you.

As for the Poor Man's Europa League :p, I reckon the Group Stage will go like this:

Group A: Atlético Madrid, Monaco, Borussia Dortmund, Club Brugge
Group B: Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur, Inter Milan, PSV
Group C: Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain, Napoli, Red Star Belgrade
Group D: Porto, Schalke 04, Galatasaray, Lokomotiv Moscow
Group E: Bayern Munich, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens
Group F: Manchester City, Hoffenheim, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon
Group G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moscow, Viktoria Plzen
Group H: Juventus, Valencia, Manchester United, Young Boys

My predictions for the Champions (Whoever can finish within the top four of the league, so therefore aren't champions)

Group A: Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Monaco, Club Brugge
Group B: Inter Milan, Barcelona, PSV, Tottenham Hotspurs
Group C: Napoli, Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool, Red Star Belgrade
Group D: Porto, Schalke 04, Galatasaray, Lokomotiv Moscow
Group E: Bayern Munich, Ajax, Benfica, AEK Athens
Group F: Manchester City, Lyon, Hoffenheim, Shakhtar Donetsk
Group G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moscow, Viktorea Plzen
Group H: Juventus, Manchester United (Skin of our teeth), Valencia, Young Boys

Archived