Brexit rules

Hi all,

2nd season announcement of post-Brexit rule - Max 17 foreign players per 25 man squad.. hadn't played full FM since 2012 so just wondering if this ruling is fairly standard/harsh/lenient. I've bought in a lot of foreign wonderkids so I'm potentially going to struggle but does the ruling apply to those players already bought or will those already at the club not be considered foreign players for the purpose of squad rules?

Any info much appreciates.

Thanks

From what I understand that's the most common. I read on here somewhere that Miles had plenty of meetings with ministers and the FA and this was the "most likely scenario".

Some of the brexit rules don't take these guys into account as foreign until the contract renewal stage. Some count it overnight, it all depends on the rng gods.

Edited by monkeywool

Also, some foreign players that have been at your club for the accepted amount of time take up citizenship to help, i had Bellerin and Koscielny take up citizenship automatically to help with restrictions

2 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Isn't this just for leagues with squad registration? So those that don't have the work permits in effect still.

It is, but in some of the Brexit foreign player limits, the EFL amend to squad registration of 25 players and the 17 player rule kicks in.  Most of the time, you need to be giving a minimum weekly wage of £8,000, so it only really affects the Championship in a positive way, but I had one where no minimum salary was required so it was a blast down in League Two.  Assuming your scouts find them, of course.

2 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Assuming your scouts find them, of course.

Good point... I've played loads of lower-league and non-league saves and never - not once - signed a foreign player, because I've never been able to find them.

8 hours ago, warlock said:

Good point... I've played loads of lower-league and non-league saves and never - not once - signed a foreign player, because I've never been able to find them.

Mine have on a few occasions but then I increase the scouting budget and this the scouting packages to as high as I can.  

Edited by DazRTaylor

Let see, the ones I've seen are:

1. Brexit is cancelled
2. Brexit happens, but no changes to the rules
3. Brexit happens, work permits are removed and a max number of foreign players in the registered squad is implemented
4. Brexit happens, and all foreign players need work permits (excluding the ones already contracted)
5. Same as 4, but Ireland is ALSO foreign.

I guess there could be more, but I haven't seen them myself.

On 09/03/2019 at 02:59, JD23 said:

Hi all,

2nd season announcement of post-Brexit rule - Max 17 foreign players per 25 man squad.. hadn't played full FM since 2012 so just wondering if this ruling is fairly standard/harsh/lenient. I've bought in a lot of foreign wonderkids so I'm potentially going to struggle but does the ruling apply to those players already bought or will those already at the club not be considered foreign players for the purpose of squad rules?

Any info much appreciates.

Thanks

I wrote all this below a few weeks back with regard to the brexit type you're set to face, hopefully it should answer your question (and any questions that come from it) - it's a real double edged sword tbh, and for me personally it took a little bit of a shine off my save as I was sat with a huge transfer war chest that I couldn't spend as I was already at the max quota etc and you spend far too much time trying to analyse home grown status/second nationalities etc;

Brexit has an annoying knock on to longer terms saves - not all of it bad admittedly - but overall it can be very irritating as I'm experiencing right now - some highlights;

• Work permits aren't judged on world reputation/international appearances or anything like that anymore, they're based purely on wages - if you want a foreign player (and this includes every nation now outside the UK & Eire) you have to pay them 8k per week minimum, or for 3k a week they get a youth work permit which means they can't play for your first team but can go on loan. This makes buying anything other than english players for lower league teams - who admittedly don't usually have great overseas scouting - very expensive/difficult. Obviously 8k for a top prem team is nothing but there are other drawbacks to consider
  • Top level english talent is (unsurprisingly) incredibly hard to come by. There are some superstar level players, but they often (and not always) come through at the academies of top clubs meaning you'll never get to sign them/they’re priced astronomically (which makes sense)
  • You can only have a maximum of 17 foreign players in your 25 man squad. This doesn't sound like a big deal but read on...!
  • You must have 8 home grown players in your 25 man squad, or leave room for a total of 8 (i.e. if you only register 3 HG players, you can only register a maximum of 20 players total, leaving room for 5 more home grown)
  • Home grown players younger than 23 can play without being registered (this is a good thing)
  • When first promoted to the premier league/higher divisions, you actually have a slightly easier time as lots of high quality foreign players that would never have previously been able to attain work permits become available (for minimum 8k p/w). It makes surviving in the premier league much easier than it perhaps should be as you can rapidly increase the quality of your squad 
  • Young foreign players you sign will have a very low reputation in England so domestic clubs are usually never interested in loaning them out. Foreign clubs will still rate them and you can nearly always find someone who will take them but...
  • In order for players to become home grown, they (unsurprisingly) need to play in England for several years - this is catching a lot of players out who loan talented youngsters overseas (because English clubs aren't interested) which means they don't attain home grown status. This can be mitigated by having an affiliate club, but if they're lower than the championship they'll likely reject the move (even then, as soon as they reach an average CA they'll likely still reject and prem teams still won't be interested)
  • A foreign home grown player is still a foreign player - they'll still take up one of your FGN spaces (but at least they fill one of the homegrown slots)
  • It takes players 5 years to attain English nationality, but they must be in England continuously to do so; loaning them out to a foreign club breaks the chain and they have to start again from 0 days (bear in mind the aforementioned loan issue)
  • If a player already has a second nationality they can't seem to gain English nationality too/instead
  • The old non-brexit days of signing players with a permit and loaning them overseas to get a second nationality is now futile as even countries like France/Belgium/Netherlands are now also classed as foreign so won't make any difference
  • Top AI teams end up buying/stockpiling an enormous amount of foreign talent and constantly loaning them out around the world in order to comply with the squad regulations - it means a lot of the top level players end up over 23, without home grown status and 5 years away from gaining English nationality.

Summing all that up; it's far from impossible as I and many others have proved, but it adds this constantly annoying layer of busywork onto your dealings with the xfer market - every year I'm having to juggle and spend time looking at who's home grown and who isn't and have a huge amount of money i can't spend because it'll mean I can't register another player. It doesn't sound that difficult, but then neither does drinking 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes (try it if you haven't already and get a bucket ready)? If English clubs were more willing to sign young foreign players - who undoubtedly would improve their team - it wouldn't be as bad, but it means you either have to keep them & pay their wages/put up with them complaining about not playing/watch them stagnate as they're only playing U23 football, or end up with players who're neither home grown or nationalised. As i say, not world ending, but for any new save I start I'll be disabling it with the mod I reckon. Also think this is diluted near the beginning of a save for big teams as they don't have to buy as many players at once/can plan better - but even then, City/United etc in my save are nuts with the amount of players they buy and then don't play/have to loan out.

Edited by optimusprimal82

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@optimusprimal82 Thanks for the guide above.

I am in February 2021 and my Brexit takes effect June 2021. I got the $8k p/w, $3k p/w Work Permit rules, and I'm getting the 17 foreign player limit.

So why am I seeing my scouts finding players in Germany, Austria, etc. who would have wages of $31K p/w and saying they probably would fail to gain a work permit? Is this just a temporary thing during the interim where the game is seeing the old rules but the new nations as being foreign? Here's an example.

640098987_ScreenShot2019-06-04at11_15_29AM.thumb.png.8dfb691fc30cd9da9b768af8f62450b0.png

Edited by Joey Numbaz

22 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

@optimusprimal82 Thanks for the guide above.

I am in February 2021 and my Brexit takes effect June 2021. I got the $8k p/w, $3k p/w Work Permit rules, and I'm getting the 17 foreign player limit.

So why am I seeing my scouts finding players in Germany, Austria, etc. who would have wages of $31K p/w and saying they probably would fail to gain a work permit? Is this just a temporary thing during the interim where the game is seeing the old rules but the new nations as being foreign? Here's an example.

640098987_ScreenShot2019-06-04at11_15_29AM.thumb.png.8dfb691fc30cd9da9b768af8f62450b0.png

Sounds like a bit of a disconnect between the Scouting module in game and whatever part of the game controls the (future) league rules.  Is there anything in the Scouting module you can alter to ensure your scouts filter out such players?  If not it may be worth flagging it up in the Transfers, Contracts and Scouting bugs forum as a potential area for improvement.

Would be interesting if you made your DoF responsible for signings just to see if he actually did sign any of these players.  Now that would be nuts :D.

Interesting. I do all scouting myself in terms of setting assignments. So if I understand it right, these guys would lose the “won’t get a work permit” note once Brexit takes effect in June, correct? So I can file these players away for a few months. Or sign them with an effective date of July 1 or something (so the work permit isn’t applied for until then), right?

I would only want to filter them out if come June, they wouldn’t qualify I’d think.

• 10 months later...