Sports Interactive Community
crusadertsar

Eintracht Frankfurt Tactic, and How to Find a Goalscorer

14 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@crusadertsar  Good job and credit where it's due.  You've made some good threads recently and thanks for sharing them :thup:.

Thank you for the kind words man :) it means a lot to me coming from you. I'm encouraged to keep on writing if people enjoy threads like this. And if it generates discussion that's an added bonus.

2 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I'm encouraged to keep on writing if people enjoy threads like this.

A great OP with much to think about. The tactical discussion is also very interesting... I used back-three formations a little last year with some success but it isn't my natural inclination.

And I daresay a lot of people will be signing Jovic from now on!

Jovic was a must-have a couple of years ago, good to see an FM wonderkid who always came good in-game coming good in real life

Great write up. I’d like to comment on the tactic first as I’ve setup 3-5-2’s similar to this. I had slight differences such as a false nine rather than a deep lying forward but I set it up with Stuttgart rather than Frankfurt. It really is a great shape to play with and is flexible enough to play different types of players in different roles. As an example I used AMR’s in the WB role with the specific idea to use much better passing and vision to create different routes to goal. Great example of a 3-5-2 and hopefully you end up sharing the PI’s as well. 

On the players; I’ve always been reluctant to use a player like Jovic (and to a lesser extent Cenc Tosun). I find when physicals (either pace or strength or jumping) aren’t great I have a hard time getting these players involved. If you look at Jovic he can certainly score but it isn’t with a turn of pace, it isn’t with exceptional strength and it isn’t because he can jump higher than the other defenders. He can’t create like other players (decisions, vision and passing not incredible). I think the important thing here is to show the support a great player like Jovic needs in order to thrive and with it he can make a good side into a great side. 

2 hours ago, nick1408 said:

Great write up. I’d like to comment on the tactic first as I’ve setup 3-5-2’s similar to this. I had slight differences such as a false nine rather than a deep lying forward but I set it up with Stuttgart rather than Frankfurt. It really is a great shape to play with and is flexible enough to play different types of players in different roles. As an example I used AMR’s in the WB role with the specific idea to use much better passing and vision to create different routes to goal. Great example of a 3-5-2 and hopefully you end up sharing the PI’s as well. 

On the players; I’ve always been reluctant to use a player like Jovic (and to a lesser extent Cenc Tosun). I find when physicals (either pace or strength or jumping) aren’t great I have a hard time getting these players involved. If you look at Jovic he can certainly score but it isn’t with a turn of pace, it isn’t with exceptional strength and it isn’t because he can jump higher than the other defenders. He can’t create like other players (decisions, vision and passing not incredible). I think the important thing here is to show the support a great player like Jovic needs in order to thrive and with it he can make a good side into a great side. 

Agree with using AM in WB role. I used players such as Lingaard and Chiesa (in Man U) and Gonsalo Guedes in Valencia in that role with great success. Also regarding PIs, theres not many, only "move into channels" on my RPM and "stay wider" on DLF

50 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Agree with using AM in WB role. I used players such as Lingaard and Chiesa (in Man U) and Gonsalo Guedes in Valencia in that role with great success. Also regarding PIs, theres not many, only "move into channels" on my RPM and "stay wider" on DLF

I've used Chiesa and Giacomo Bonaventura at AC Milan. I went back to see how I had them setup (my initial idea was to try and get the RWB to be a playmaker) so reinstalled FM18 to check. Essentially all I ended up doing was putting a IWBa there with more direct passes and the GK specifically distributing to him. It worked a treat and even worked with Almamy Traore, a player now at Frankfurt and coincidentally, my favourite RB in the game.

I tried to recreate Frankfurt last year without success. I guess I had the formation wrong. This is a far better setup and better recreation of what Frankfurt are doing.  How did you finish the season with Frankfurt? curious as to how this all came together.

Hopefully more of this to come. I've really liked your tactical breakdowns recently.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, nick1408 said:

I tried to recreate Frankfurt last year without success. I guess I had the formation wrong. This is a far better setup and better recreation of what Frankfurt are doing.  How did you finish the season with Frankfurt? curious as to how this all came together.

Hopefully more of this to come. I've really liked your tactical breakdowns recently.

I see you were also inspired by Tifo's video :). I just find he lays the tactics out so clearly it just makes you want to translate it into the game. Truly I feel he did half my work for me. I think I prefer Hudder's tactic than how Kovac played them last season. Like you said, 3-5-2 is just a great, elegant shape that is strong in the back just as it is dangerous in final third. Having the aggressive wingbacks or even complete wingbacks on attack is really key. It basically puts five attacking players around the penalty area, with 3 of them moving into channels. Then you have one or 2 midfielders arriving late. When it works it works really well.

I was able to beat Bayern in the very first game of the season in the SuperCup. And beat Russian Zenit in Europa. But was a bit more inconsistent in Bundesliga, sitting in 7th by the end of September. So actually didn't finish the season. Probably need more time for team to get accustomed to tactic. I think that's my problem when writing tactical analysis pieces, I tend to get excited and start many saves. So concurrently I'm working on Man U, Dynamo Kiev and Frankfurt saves. To add to this I already have inspiration to start another with Valencia and write something about their Cantera.

Edited by crusadertsar

@crusadertsar kinda like me - I feel like the best part of the save sometimes is the setup, before the reality of the game gets in the way of your best laid plans.

14 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I see you were also inspired by Tifo's video :). I just find he lays the tactics out so clearly it just makes you want to translate it into the game. Truly I feel he did half my work for me.

Pretty much. I love the Tifo series. It breaks it down for someone to understand that doesn't come from a soccer background.

14 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I was able to beat Bayern in the very first game of the season in the SuperCup. And beat Russian Zenit in Europa. But was a bit more inconsistent in Bundesliga, sitting in 7th by the end of September. So actually didn't finish the season. Probably need more time for team to get accustomed to tactic.

7th probably isn't too bad with the squad. I've just started a Frankfurt save to specifically try this out. What struck me is how poor the players actually are. As an example, Falette has anticipation of 13, concentration of 12 and positioning of 11. Abraham, 13, 13 & 12 for the same stats. Russ is better at 12, 14, 13 but lacks the physicals of the other two.

The next issue is age. 7 players over 30 and all are in and around the first XI. There will need to be some serious squad turnover to make Frankfurt into a title challenger.

1 hour ago, nick1408 said:

Pretty much. I love the Tifo series. It breaks it down for someone to understand that doesn't come from a soccer background.

7th probably isn't too bad with the squad. I've just started a Frankfurt save to specifically try this out. What struck me is how poor the players actually are. As an example, Falette has anticipation of 13, concentration of 12 and positioning of 11. Abraham, 13, 13 & 12 for the same stats. Russ is better at 12, 14, 13 but lacks the physicals of the other two.

The next issue is age. 7 players over 30 and all are in and around the first XI. There will need to be some serious squad turnover to make Frankfurt into a title challenger.

I think the squad is a bit underrated in-game. Especially the defense. I don't like to go by the evidence of one game only, but seeing how well they defended against Inter yesterday, I would think that their mental attributes would be better than that

Another fantastic article which definitely gave me food for thought. After one of you previous articles I turned my Hadjuk Split into europa league champions (funnily enough beating Frankfurt but at this point Rebic and Jovic had left, Haller was injured). But now anything after the group stages of the champions league are to far. Also the list you stated non of these players would be willing to join me but if I can find someone with similar stats young enough to train. I maybe able to make in rounds in the competition.

So keep up the good work because iv been playing this game and CM before it since it started but your advice is invaluable. 

How long did it take until Rebic became established in the shadow striker role? Just started a Frankfurt save myself and I'm struggling with the tactics. Your insight has helped me so far! 

Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2019 at 21:22, tmann90 said:

How long did it take until Rebic became established in the shadow striker role? Just started a Frankfurt save myself and I'm struggling with the tactics. Your insight has helped me so far! 

I was a little disappointed that my Rebic didn't take off like in real life :(. He definitely has all the right attributes for a perfect shadow striker, such as off the ball, acceleration and loads of workrate. Unfortunately he got injured so didn't get a chance to learn my system. So instead I've been using Divock Origi on loan and he has been a revelation! Scoring and creating. A truly pacey hitman whose attributes don't really do him justice. Maybe he has really good hidden attributes. Will recommend as a loan for any team at the start.

Edited by crusadertsar