Using statistical analysis to pick players/ create tactic

Rashidi used some of this in a game changer video I watched earlier...

He talked about key headers....passes...interceptions...

Not asking for a silver spoon here but more for someone to point me in the right direction of what statistics are most useful when doing squad analysis to help with selecting the right players both already at the club or when looking at recruitment. 

For instance... in my current save I'm looking to recruit a good target man so am looking at key headers won... and the same per 90 mins as an example.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. 

Pass completion ratio - for midfielders expected to be playmakers
Key Passes/90 - Key passes they make per 90 mins
Interceptions made - mids who have high ones are good to keep track of
Headers per 90 or headers won ratio

These are some of the key ones i track across a team, and depending on how you play, say you are typically playing more defensive or more offensive, you may look at other numbers in a game

The problem with scouting and selecting along these lines is it is affected by the effectiveness of the players around the player you are looking at as well as the tactic being used affecting the player's performances - AND the opposition players and tactic. There are too many variables at play to determine whether or not the player is going to put out those numbers in your team.

9 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Pass completion ratio - for midfielders expected to be playmakers
Key Passes/90 - Key passes they make per 90 mins
Interceptions made - mids who have high ones are good to keep track of
Headers per 90 or headers won ratio

These are some of the key ones i track across a team, and depending on how you play, say you are typically playing more defensive or more offensive, you may look at other numbers in a game

Legend... cheers mate! 

It makes sense for players already at the club, yes, although I don't do this myself. I watch enough of a match so that I can see how a player performs. On the other hand, I do understand that there are people doing it differently and using stats.

18 hours ago, mcbgun84 said:

For instance... in my current save I'm looking to recruit a good target man so am looking at key headers won... and the same per 90 mins as an example.

This though, is something I'd argue you really don't need to analyse stats. If you're looking for a good target man, look for the attributes you need in one. Jumping Reach and Heading are the obvious ones. Strength and Balance will help too.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't rely on stats on a player playing for another team. Too many factors that can influence and skew the stats. Maybe they're doing badly in general? Maybe their style of play doesn't suit the player? Maybe they're using the player in a different way than what you're looking for? Maybe the teammates around this player are making him look good? 

I do find this interesting just because it's so different to my own play style. Do you look at the stats mentioned when you are looking to recruit, @Rashidi? I might learn something new.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I do find this interesting just because it's so different to my own play style. Do you look at the stats mentioned when you are looking to recruit, @Rashidi? I might learn something new.

To be perfectly honest, i did it for the early part of our stalybridge season, when it was tough to find recruits, the only players i could find were from relegated teams. So i would go out and find players with good headers on target ratios for defenders and midfielders who had good passing completion percentages. Ultimately their attributes mattered. Once i got into the championship i stopped bothering. Now its only about attributes. I don't really care bout how they are doing in matches, i just see if they have the attributes i need for the roles to be filled.

Archived