The Return of the Rams: A Singapore Premier League Story

BenArsenal

(Hi everyone. I've decided to give this writing thing another crack. This was done on an edited and modified FM17 database to add the teams in. Unfortunately the save game crashed in the middle of the second season, so this story will only really cover the first season (shame really). Hope you guys enjoy)

After years of disappointment, highlighted by dwindling fan attendance and general lack of interest all round, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) has finally decided to completely revamp the country’s main top flight football competition, the S-League.

One of the key criticisms of the league was the lack of connection between the clubs and their local community. Two of the nine clubs weren’t even ‘local’; DPMM FC plays in Brunei, an hour’s flight away from Singapore, and Albirex Niigata (Singapore) is a satellite team of the main Albirex Niigata club that plays in Japan’s J-League. In addition, the Young Lions are effectively the national under-23 squad. So we have a farcical situation where only two-thirds of the teams in the S-League are able to form a close connection with local fans.

That’s all going to change starting from the 2016 season. The FAS decided to expand the league to fourteen teams, and invite back several local clubs that had previously been a part of the league. Returning to the fold are Gombak United, Jurong FC, Sembawang Rangers, Tanjong Pagar United, and Woodlands Wellington.

They will join the existing local clubs, namely Balestier Khalsa, Geylang United, Home United, Hougang United, Tampines Rovers and Warriors FC. DPMM, Albirex and Young Lions will also be allowed to retain their places in the revamped league. Young Lions will also be run like a regular club, but will be restricted to signing players under the age of 23.

All local clubs, including the Young Lions, will also be given a significant income boost in order for them to attract and retain the best talents, further developing the local game. Under encouragement from the Government, local prominent businessmen will plow millions of dollars into each club to assist them with their daily running operations, as well as offering attractive salaries to playing and coaching staff.

As the key objectives of the revamped league is to encourage the growth and development of Singaporean football, Albirex and DPMM will be put in a transition phase. They will receive lesser financial investment than the others. In return, they get to operate as they were pre-revamp, being allowed to stock their squad from their home countries (Japan and Brunei respectively). A scheme will be implemented later on, where these two teams will have to start integrating local Singaporean players in their squad, gradually ‘localising’ the teams.

To prevent clubs from simply stockpiling players from all over the world with their new found riches, each team will only be allowed to have only three foreign players in their squad. In addition, to encourage youth development, teams must name three under-23 players in their starting 11 for every league game.

There will be no relegation or promotion for the competition as yet, with the FAS deciding that the lower division Singaporean National Football League teams are not quite ready for top flight football. It will be under consideration for future seasons however.

Finally, to signal the new direction of the competition, the S-League will be renamed. Welcome then, to the new Singapore Premier League.

Given their lengthy absences from the league, the returning clubs to the Singapore Premier League, or SPL, are effectively new teams that are restarting from scratch. As such, they will need to go out on a massive recruiting spree, to stock up on players and staff before they get their season going.

Woodlands Wellington were seen as one of the weaker teams among the returnees, and while they now had significant investment, they still had their work cut out for them if they were to put together a competitive team for the season.

Woodlands, nicknamed The Rams, have had a chequered history in Singapore football. They finished second in the inaugural S-League season back in 1996, but their stories have always been one of struggle. More often languishing in the bottom half than the top, Woodlands is a team that is often characterised by hard graft, pluck and ingenuity, if seldom outright top quality.

Despite their lack of success, Woodlands were ever presents in the league, playing in every season until 2014, when financial problems saw them drop out. Thankfully, with the revamp and renewed investment, they get to return after a short hiatus, hopefully with better fortunes.

Singapore being a small country, local coaching talent were definitely thin on the ground. As a local born and bred Woodlands fan who grew up literally in the vicinity of the Woodlands Stadium where the team played their games, I saw this as an opportunity to embark on a bold new career choice, and hopefully manage my local team to glory.

I sent in my application, detailing my experience and extensive football knowledge, as well as my plans on how to make good use of the clubs’ funds to build a Woodlands team that will be competitive. I wasn’t really expecting them to take me seriously, but to my surprise, the club decided to take a punt on me. There was little risk, they figured. After all, the club was predicted to perform poorly, so I’ll either meet expectations or exceed them.

And so, at the age of 29, I am now the manager of my hometown club, Woodlands Wellington.

Thanks Mark. Really excited to be back writing again. Hope this goes well.

While I knew that the club was now financially well-off, I didn’t quite know the extent of the riches. The chairman effectively gave me a blank cheque and told me to go for whatever player I wanted. Boy, such power, such control.

The squad was definitely thin on the ground, with just a few players on the club’s payroll. I decided that there’s strength in numbers, so my strategy is to sign as many players as I could possibly attract, and hopefully mould a cohesive team that can compete reasonably in the league.

Attracting players won’t be that easy though. The club’s stature is relatively weak due to its lack of success, and we are also located in the far North suburban area in Singapore, not exactly the most attractive of locales. 

Before I went out to stock my squad however, I took a look at who was already around, and see who could do a job for me this season. I decided that the following players will have some part to play for me in the first team:

Murtadza Abdul Rahim - 22 years old - GK
A young goalie who emerged from Home United’s academy, and joined Woodlands in 2013. Have not made a senior appearance. Will be useful as an young understudy to whoever I bring in as number 1

Yeo Jun Guang - 23 years old - GK
Another young goalie, has been with Woodlands his entire career. Most likely third choice, but may go out on loan

Bah Mamadou - 36 years old - CB
Originally from Mali, has stayed in Singapore long enough to acquire citizenship and so would not count as foreign. Spent most of his career at Gombak but also had short spells with Home and Warriors before joining Woodlands. An experienced head to have around to guide the younger ones

Shahril Alias - 32 years old - CB
A Woodlands favourite, having started out here before going on to serve the likes of Home, Hougang and Geylang before returning. A natural leader and potential pick for club captain this season

Rosman Sulaiman - 33 years old - D (RLC)
Another veteran, Rosman has had a long storied career, playing mostly at Home United. Nominally a centre back but can also fill in at left or right back

Walid Lounis - 33 years old - D (LC)
As you can see, the Woodlands backline is, erm, filled with experience. Like Bah Mamadou, Lounis hails from Africa, Tunisia in fact, and has made Singapore his home. Has Singapore citizenship as well, having served the likes of Home, Geylang, Gombak and Tanjong Pagar over the years.

Zulkarnian Malik - 23 years old - CB
One of the few younger members of the backline, local boy Zulkarnian will likely play a backup role to his more senior teammates this season

Stefan Milojevic - 27 years old - LB
An interesting member of the team, this Serbian holds Spanish and French nationality through lineage, and Singapore nationality through residency, making him eligible to play for four countries. Started his career at Monaco, and has spent his time knocking around the French lower leagues, but also had a short spell at Birmingham City. First introduced to Singaporean football when he joined Geylang in 2012 before joining Woodlands two years later.

Shafuan Sutohmoh - 31 years old - CM
An unassuming but hardworking midfielder, Shafuan spent most of his career at Gombak, and came to Woodlands via Balestier. Should be able to do a job at the centre of the park

Farouq Farkhan - 28 years old - CM
Like Shafuan, Farouq started out at Gombak before joining Woodlands. Decent and versatile midfielder, can also play out right if needed

Armanizam Dolah - 28 years old - CM
Armanizam completes my midfield trio, all of whom have emerged from the Gombak ranks. Has spent the most time at Woodlands of the three. Good skills but also very hardworking

Oswind Rosayro - 27 years old - RW
Plays on the right side of midfield, Oswind is a loyal workhorse that is skilful and inventive. Started out his career at Hougang, but has been with Woodlands for quite a while now

Sobrie Mazelan - 31 years old - AMC/ST
A veteran playmaker, Sobrie has spent most of his career at Hougang. Woodlands is only his second club, and he would be a good squad player to have to provide attacking verve.

Jang Jo Yoon - 28 years old - AMC/ST
One of the better quality players at the club, this South Korean playmaker is a firm favourite with the fans. Started out in his homeland with Jeonbuk Motors, before making his way to Singapore when he played for Gombak and Balestier, and then Woodlands. Will look to him to play an important role in the team. Also has acquired Singaporean citizenship.

Moon Soon Ho - 35 years old - ST
The other Korean player in the Woodlands ranks, Moon is a long-serving striker who has virtually spent his entire career here. Will look to reward him for his loyalty by using him as a mentor for any younger strikers who are incoming. Also has Singaporean citizenship after being here for so long

Patrick Paranjody - 29 years old - ST
A striker with a good amount of experience, Patrick has spent his time knocking around various clubs like Tanjong Pagar and Balestier. Will be a useful attacking squad player

Too right Mark. Especially with the Under-23 rule, young blood is sorely needed in this squad.

Before that, an introduction...

The Singapore Premier League season runs from March to October, with every team playing each other twice, for a total of 26 games.

In addition to the main league competition, there are also two cup competitions running during the season, offering teams a chance to add to their trophy cabinet. Both the Singapore Cup and the Singapore League Cup are straight knockout competitions, two-legged each round until the final, and will include the fourteen top flight clubs, joined by two National Football League teams.

The Singapore Cup will run throughout the season, alongside the league. The Singapore League Cup meanwhile will take place over a month in July, while the main league takes a break.

The winners of the Singapore Premier League will enter the following season’s AFC Champions League qualifying round, while the Singapore Cup winners will go into the AFC Cup (the equivalent of the UEFA Europa League). Interestingly, if the AFC Champions League entrant makes it to the main group stage, an additional AFC Cup slot is opened up for the league runners up. DPMM, Albirex and Young Lions are not allowed to enter continental competitions.

There are two, fairly generous, transfer windows for the Singaporean league season. The first one begins on Christmas Eve the preceding year, and closes at the end of March. The mid-season transfer window opens at the end of May and closes at the end of July. So you have like half the year to chop and change your squad effectively.

With all of that figured out, I set about assembling a Woodlands team that will hopefully bring back some pride to the Rams of the North.

There were of course many gaps in the team I had to fill, so I had to scour far and wide for players who would be willing to join the Woodlands project.

One of my first signings would not actually be a player in fact. John Wilkinson hails from Exeter in Blighty, but is a familiar name to Singaporean fans. He spent a three year spell with Woodlands from 2002 to 2004, before moving on to Warriors and Home United, before finally hanging up his boots at Tanjong Pagar. Along the way, he married a local girl and acquired Singaporean citizenship, and subsequently even went on to represent the national team 31 times, scoring 5 goals. He is fondly remembered around the Woodlands Stadium, and I moved quickly to appoint him as a club scout, assisting me with looking out for suitable young local talent.

Having joined the team in the New Year, I had a good three months to sign people up in preparation for the new season. I’ve already had quite a few targets in mind, but I was always open and flexible to suggestions.

Very quickly, I secured the signing of Hanafi Akbar, a young midfielder who unfortunately has a reputation for getting in trouble. Recently released by hometown club Balestier, I felt that he was worth a punt, if I could get him in line. On his day, Hanafi can be a real threat either down the right wing, or in an attacking midfield role. He just needs to harness his talents correctly, as at 21 years old, he potentially has a bright future ahead.

He was soon joined by Fazli Ayob, a midfielder who especially likes to attack down the channels. He will primarily be used on the left wing, but can fill in on the right when needed. He joins us from Balestier, and I hope he will be good value.

Next to walk in the door at Woodlands Stadium is Pravin Gunasagaran, a 22 year old central midfielder who has had limited experience but whom I felt was a worthy addition. Pravin started out with the Young Lions, but then took a three year break to study for his degree in Australia. Recently graduated, I hope that he will go on to have a fulfilling football career, whether it be with us or somewhere bigger.

Next up is a familiar face, 31 year old left back Syaiful Iskandar, who has spent a total of six seasons with the Rams previously, interspersed with spells at Warriors and Tampines. Syaiful returns to Woodlands from lower league semi-pro team Sembawang Sports Club (no relation to our rivals Sembawang Rangers). Another veteran to join up with the seasoned backline.

My first game in charge was a closed-door friendly between the first team and the under-21 squad, essentially a quick kick-about for me to assess everyone’s strengths and fitness. It finished 5-0 to the first team, with Shahril Alias, Moon Soon Ho, Hanafi Akbar and Shafuan Sutohmoh all finding the net in the first half. I told the youngsters not to take the result too seriously, but I was generally impressed with what I saw.

Friendly: Woodlands 5 (Alias, Moon (2), Akbar, Sutohmoh) Woodlands Under 21s 0 

Archived