How do you evaluate Job Invitations?

How do you compare a foreign club that invites you for a Head Coach job interview with your own club?... (For example, I'm coaching Aston Vila at 6th place in the Premier League, and was invited by Borussia Dortmund. It doesn't look much richer than Aston but its Senior Squad is more expensive in market value and salaries...).

What criteria do you use to compare clubs, etc.?... (Is there any page to Compare clubs, just as we compare players?).

Thanks.

1 hour ago, phd_angel said:

How do you compare a foreign club that invites you for a Head Coach job interview with your own club?... (For example, I'm coaching Aston Vila at 6th place in the Premier League, and was invited by Borussia Dortmund. It doesn't look much richer than Aston but its Senior Squad is more expensive in market value and salaries...).

What criteria do you use to compare clubs, etc.?... (Is there any page to Compare clubs, just as we compare players?).

Thanks.

You'd be comparing reputations - the rep of the league in terms of rank order can be seen on the league tables screen, and the rep of the club. You can't tell the latter directly but general knowledge will tell you Borussia Dortmund should be a bigger club than Aston Villa even if the English PL is one or two places above the Bundesliga (assuming your not to far into the future). In terms of taking the job or not a key indicator should be the salary you're being offered. If it's substantially more than what you're on at Villa, you'd do what most managers do and follow the money.

I do it with common knowledge. If you are successful bigger clubs chase you so i think proposing team would be better in terms of reputation. And i generally try to go to better leagues.

It depends on what kind of career I'm playing.

If it's my usual "win everything with my favourite club", I will reject all offers and keep on playing til I win everything and get bored with it.

If it's an open-ended career, I'll see if the new club offers me a different/better challenge. Usually it always goes upwards, so I move only if the next club is a step forward in terms of league reputation and club's prestige. Or, in other cases, I'll gladly take over a fallen/sleeping giant to bring them back to the top.

So Dortmund would be a solid move from Villa, even though Bundesliga is worse than EPL.

Usually for me it's about looking at the club's current reputation, league position and resources. However, I really think that it's an extremely poor area of the game which needs a massive overhaul.

The description of a club's finances is shocking, and I think is definitely something that needs to be discussed more in the job interviews. Rather than just be told a transfer budget and wage budget we should be given more of an idea of the clubs finances. I don't mean we should be told exactly what the bank balance is (as a manager irl wouldn't be told this I imagine) but at least some information. Perhaps if the chairman was to say 'we're currently in a good position financially and project that this will improve over the next year/2 years etc' or 'we're currently in a poor financial position, and may need to offload players before you can bring any in. We expect to be around 5 million in debt come the end of the season'.

I am sick to death of getting a job only to find that the club is in massive debt with a wage expenditure massively over the budget (which in itself is infuriating as AI managers seem to be easily able to spend what they want). 

Hopefully we'll see improvements in the near future. 

Depends entirely on what I wanna do. If I want to stay at my current club, I do. If I want to leave, I evaluate all offers. Sometimes it happens that I intend to stay but I get an irrecusable offer and I go.

An important point tho, is that even if I intend to stay at my current club, I attend all interviews. A few days later my current club comes offering me better wage and transfer budgets if I accept to stay, so I get to do what I intended (stay) and with better budgets (which is also realistic, a good manager targeted by bigger clubs is offered more "power" if he accepts to stay, just like good players).

Archived