Who is to Blame: Striker or Winger?

I usually play with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation: 1 striker and two wingers. When I'm not scoring enough, my initial reaction is to blame the striker. But then I realized that wingers are responsible for creating opportunities. So there is chance creation and chance conversion...

Are there any page/stats where I can review whose fault it is (striker or winger) when I'm not scoring as often as I should? Thanks

1 hour ago, phd_angel said:

I usually play with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation: 1 striker and two wingers. When I'm not scoring enough, my initial reaction is to blame the striker. But then I realized that wingers are responsible for creating opportunities. So there is chance creation and chance conversion...

Are there any page/stats where I can review whose fault it is (striker or winger) when I'm not scoring as often as I should? Thanks

Hi, like FranzT said either watch the extended highlights or you can see the match info at the end of the game. See shots on/off target, weather you had enough possession it’s all there, you could decide who’s fault it is from there. 

27 minutes ago, FrazT said:

If you watch extended highlights, can you not see where the problems are arising?

Eyeballing on a few select highlights is not a good method. I'm looking for a more quantitative ("scientific") approach to evaluate and determine individual performance.

21 minutes ago, SpikeHughes said:

Hi, like FranzT said either watch the extended highlights or you can see the match info at the end of the game. See shots on/off target, weather you had enough possession it’s all there, you could decide who’s fault it is from there. 

This quantitative approach is closer to what I'm looking for. More specifically, are there any stats on crosses attempted vs connected vs converted?...

Having spent a lot of time testing with the beta specifically on the effectiveness of wide players I'd put my money on the issue lying with them/packed defences.

In-game there are a ton of numbers you can crunch under the 'analysis' tab that should give you the answers you're looking for, you can also go back through previous seasons (if your game is set to keep match data) and look at similar stats from there (think it's under tactics - far right option?). This last bit is especially handy when playing between versions of the game as you can see trends that change between patches etc.

2 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Eyeballing on a few select highlights is not a good method. I'm looking for a more quantitative ("scientific") approach to evaluate and determine individual performance.

Looking through the stats pages can show you there is a problem.  But only by watching examples as @FrazT suggests can you figure out what the problem is.

So for example, you look at the stats and see low cross completion rate or chance creation rates .  So what's causing that?  Pressured wingers?  Nobody in the box?  Central defenders getting the better of your striker?  A lack of support from midfield?  Your striker unable to lay the ball off to someone?  "Packed defences"?  Stats won't tell you that.  Only by watching what happens can you understand it.

Archived