Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
optimusprimal82

Board expectations - realistic or over the top?

How do you folks managing at the top end feel about the expectations placed on you by the board? It's been a bug-bear of mine in past FM's and it still appears - and I say appears because this is only my second save/club on 19 with a top level club - that they're still slightly over the top or - as in my current example - lacking a little context?

IRL, obviously there are teams like Real Madrid that will sack a manager if he doesn't win everything and Barcelona probably come pretty close behind (albeit they tend to be considerably less ruthless), but after that, the other top level teams - whilst still quite rightly very expectant - don't tend/appear to be quite so bad? Even Chelsea don't pull the trigger for failing to win the league right now as they recognise the competition is fierce.

2nd season of my Man United save I was expected to win the Premier League and reach the final of the CL (with no room for negotiation). Now in my 6th prem season (11th overall) of my FC United save I've got a bounty on my head of a Premier League Win and CL semi final? On my way through the divisions, on promotion, rather than battle bravely I was often (3/5 times) expected to finish at least mid-table in the following season with a relatively poor rated squad?

I'm not saying i'll definitely be sacked if I don't achieve those targets (no idea), but if I don't then rest assured they'll be none too happy; If i finished fifth and get knocked out in the group stage then fair enough, but - as an example - Simeone just got fired from Man United at the end of last season for finishing third and reaching the CL final, just a year on from winning the Prem/Champions league? I know United (my own club) have been in turmoil for a few years but that isn't really how they operate? I don't believe even Chelsea - and we all know what happened to Di Matteo - would be that ruthless now? I know that obviously there are examples of this happening IRL but again, they are specific exceptions. How many times does Guardiola get fired in-game for finishing second/not winning the CL? If that happens this year do we honestly expect him to get his P45?

I mention context above because of course it pertains massively to my current save; obviously memories in football are short, but within ten seasons to go from playing in the Vanarama North to winning the quad, I'd just hope that the board/interactions/expectations would be a little less robotic? It seems like maybe they're just tied to club reputation rather than looking at league competition, squad quality (and i know boards will often ignore that latter part) and manager tenure. Football is increasingly mad - we know this - but not all clubs subscribe to that philosophy? Does any of this come down to the chairman? I know they have - or at least used to have - a patience stat, but what controls the actual expectations? Is it ambition? Or is it just club rep and the patience controls how soon you'll be sacked for failing? My gut feeling is that whatever it is isn't having enough of a variance across the game, certain jobs should feel less pressured for sure, whereas others should have the fans screaming after just a few defeats?

How do you all feel about it? Am open to raising it with our lovely game providers but keen to establish if it's just my perception or if others see the same - obviously over the course of the game you tend to have a very narrow view of particular clubs so the more varied opinions, the merrier! :D 

EDIT: Aaaand typically Fulham decide to make me rethink my entire post less than an hour after writing it! :seagull:

Edited by optimusprimal82

First of all that's an outstanding achievement to do what you have done. Secondly, you should have the stadium named after you and given the keys to city and a job for life which obviously were it real life you would have no matter how you do during the current season.

Top teams are actually hard to manage because their demand for titles is huge, and 2 saves of mine are a great exemple for this:

In this save on FM17 I was in 2021 with Norwich, Champions final (predicted group stage) and third in the league, while the other finalist was Real, that was second in the league, and actually lost the title for me. Their manager was sacked right after the loss! 2 years after, Norwich was way bigger in England, and my expectations were like "win almost everything or be sacked".

The other example is my OM save in FM19, after some years in,they demand champions semi-final and Ligue 1 title, despite PSG being in the league. Grabbing a big team, or managing to ascend a team to titles have your consequences.

I think the game, for the most part anyway, strikes a good balance. Some owners are a bit trigger happy, while others have a lot of patience. In my experience this resembles real life for the most part. I actually do think that user-managers might be allowed to stay on a bit too long when things are not going well, but since this is a game I can understand why extremely ruthless owners would less fun to play for, at least for the average users (I guess some would relish the challenge, but that's not the majority).

In my Kettering game Guardiola stayed for 4 or 5 season only winning the league once with Man City. Yes, he got them once CL trophy as well, but for me that's pushing it. If Man City were to win both the PL and CL this season, but I don't think he would be allowed to stay 4 years without winning a trophy after that...

In real life we also gauge managers on how they improve how the team plays, even if the results lack. Look at Klopp after he took over Liverpool. The first season and a half the results were so-and-so, but it was evident for most fans/pundits/others that the team were going somewhere, that the tactical instructions were doing something, but the players were either not good enough, not concentrated enough, or just plain not used to what they were trying to do. Even if the team didn't win much more than under the final run of Rodgers there were progression there. There is not that much difference between what Klopp did then, and what he is doing now. It's just that the team are better and more used to doing what they are trying to do. Now they just pick up points. This is were the game is a bit more black and white than real life. Something similar would be hard to replicate in-game.

Positivity while underachieving isn't really in the game at the moment. And to be fair, not all clubs would allow that to happen. No Real Madrid manager would get 2 seasons with mediocre results to build a new philosophy, for Klopp it was just a match made in heaven with Liverpool and were they were at the moment he got the job.

Excuse my rambling, this went a bit off track, but my view remains. I think it's fairly balanced in game, but it might be lacking some subtle nuances here and there.