Advice for beating a High Press

Hi,

I was after some advice around beating a high press. My tactic has been rather successful but played last night and encountered a lower league team that put a high press on my side and basically pinned me deep inside my own half, first time I really have encountered this and its really bugged me how I play around it. There high press leaves a lot of space in behind them but can't seem to get the right combination of instructions to take advantage of the space. Any suggestions ?

My Tactic details below, I played against a 4-2DM-3-1 Formation and the front 4 along with the 2 x DM's really pinned my side on the edge of my own box.

Tactic Jpeg.png

17 minutes ago, Getthebeerens said:

My Tactic details below, I played against a 4-2DM-3-1 Formation and the front 4 along with the 2 x DM's really pinned my side on the edge of my own box.

Tactic Jpeg.png

I wouldn't insist on playing out of defense if I noted that my players were struggling against a high-pressing opposition. The rest of instructions (as well as roles and duties) would depend on the type of my players (i.e. their strengths and weaknesses). I would probably look to exploit the extra space they are leaving by such a high amount of pressing, but how exactly I would do that really depends on what I see while watching the match. Will it be more direct passing, higher tempo, passing into space, early crosses etc., or simply tweaking certain roles - can't tell you in advance.

Thanks for the advice. I found the change to a Ball playing defender for one of the centre backs and also a Sweeper keeper changed to support made a hell of a difference.  It seemed to give me a bit more movement to play through the press, so did not have to make too many changes to the overall tactic.

15 minutes ago, Getthebeerens said:

Thanks for the advice. I found the change to a Ball playing defender for one of the centre backs and also a Sweeper keeper changed to support made a hell of a difference.  It seemed to give me a bit more movement to play through the press, so did not have to make too many changes to the overall tactic.

Well done to play out of defence consistently all you need are the right roles, and one of them is the mandatory SK. You will find that with the right set of duties you can actually make this a potent weapon against good sides that do the high press. There will be matches where you may fail to work it properly, but if its your goal, then stick with it. What you need to look out for is this:

When you play out of a high press, you absolutely need to see the ball go through your keeper and be recycled. You also need to see if the fullbacks can be reached, my fullbacks can be positioned near the half way line but i use a Anchor to move the ball through my defence to my FBs, sometimes my SK is good enough to find them with a ball. So look out for these.

There will be teams who are going to way better at pulling a high press against you, so you will need to either get better players yourself or you need to consider a different strategy, here, you can use the BPD but now he needs someone to help relieve pressure, here is where the TM or a Winger running into space is important. Too often sides that play the high press leave themselves wide open, so once you start paying attention you will actually find some of the best moves out of defence being generated. In FM19 currently playing out of defence with intricate passing patterns resulting in shots on goal is actually happening a bit too frequently, and I do hope that SI tweak this in the future for FM20. 

Archived