Sports Interactive Community
tkwongerball

Thoughts on Team Briefing?

I know in real life manager would give his team a pre-match briefing to talk about oppositional weaknesses and strengths, as well as how he wants the team to play. I wonder how effective is the briefing in FM? Like does it add to your tactical familiarity and allow you to execute your game plan better? 

It seems to be something you can completely disregard at this point.

Does anyone know if it makes a difference if I select my team prior to doing the actual briefing? The game indicates who has reacted positively/negatively to my briefing - am I only completing the briefing with people in the team? 

IE, if I leave the team unpicked, am I essentially talking to an empty room?

This is one of the first things I leave to my assistant when I start a save. I do not really know how it works, I do not really know how important it is. I too would welcome some informed input into this.

If you feel that the pre-match briefings aren't useful, would be really beneficial if you have any suggestions or ideas on how we can improve them to raise them via our feature request forums here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

If you feel that the pre-match briefings aren't useful, would be really beneficial if you have any suggestions or ideas on how we can improve them to raise them via our feature request forums here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Thanks. 

But are they supposed to be useful? :)

I mean, is something happening besides the scene to the team based on how/if the briefing is conducted?
I might be wrong, but how the team reacts does not translate in an increase/decrease in morale.

5 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Does anyone know if it makes a difference if I select my team prior to doing the actual briefing? The game indicates who has reacted positively/negatively to my briefing - am I only completing the briefing with people in the team? 

IE, if I leave the team unpicked, am I essentially talking to an empty room?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Useless. I leave it to my assistant, it seems purely cosmetic as it has no relevant impact on how you set up your team to play on match day. They disregard everything you say in it or it as no effect on them. 

I wished that instructions given through Team Briefing are only for the upcoming match and when the match is finished, it reverts back to your original team tactics. The problem is that it adjusts your default tactics. One would think that instructions given through Team Breifings are only for the upcoming match to exploit a certain opponent. I don't want to switch my default team tactic / Team Instructions / Personal instructions every time I give instructions through the breifings.

13 hours ago, rain94 said:

I wished that instructions given through Team Briefing are only for the upcoming match and when the match is finished, it reverts back to your original team tactics. The problem is that it adjusts your default tactics. One would think that instructions given through Team Breifings are only for the upcoming match to exploit a certain opponent. I don't want to switch my default team tactic / Team Instructions / Personal instructions every time I give instructions through the breifings.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'll definitely have to look at this when I get home...

17 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks. 

Thanks for an official response, but the first point to note is that I don't think anyone is convinced they are anything more than cosmetic. Can you indicate what, if any, influence they have on the game?

I've probably used it once or twice, and it has become one of the many duties I delegate...

As usual, I appreciate the idea and the sentiment behind its addition, but again I guess we're dealing with marginal % of impact (be it positive or negative) which makes the whole endeavour kinda futile and easily skippable.

Also, it is indeed true it affect the default tactic, which makes it twice as cumbersome. I may want to adjust the mentality, a couple of roles/duties and even slightly alter the formation (say, moving an AMC down to MC, or a MC to DM for cover purposes, or switching between AMC and AMR/L or viceversa) to counter specific threats or for a more cautious/attacking approach, but if that must be done from the main tactics, it's easy to lose track of the changes...
In my "custom styles", at one point I had like 6 different variations of "Custom Wing Play", so good luck finding out which was which...

A dedicated set of instructions that apply only to the next game, could be a decent improvement.

But I maintain the old "Focus" (teamwork, attacking/defensive movement, set pieces etc) system was more than enough...  Quick, simple and (in)effective.

All this "realism" doesn't really translate well in terms of gameplay and usability. It becomes distracting, overwhelming and disjointed. Moreso, its effect is, by nature, hard to notice, so the notion of all those additions being "useless" gets bigger. It may not be true, but the doubt still lingers.

Edited by RBKalle

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Thanks for an official response, but the first point to note is that I don't think anyone is convinced they are anything more than cosmetic. Can you indicate what, if any, influence they have on the game?

They were added as an opportunity to bring lots of relevant information for the forthcoming fixture together to make it easier for the user, allowing them to select tactics, opposition instructions, match plans and the like, whilst also showing an opposition report to figure out what could work best. Also to get an reaction from your playing staff in regards to your selected setup for the forthcoming match. 

But yeah we're very much aware it has limitations and that it's not necessarily completely clear to the user what addressing the players does in terms of potential morale boost/performance boosts for the game. As said, if anyone has any ideas on how they feel it can be more useful and have more impact in game we're interested to hear any suggestions. 

@Neil Brock I think one of the main issues with it/them is the perceived/potential for negative impact; there are already so many things in the game that go largely unseen & can negatively affect performance (complacency being a good example - amazed how many people don't even know of it's existence considering how long it's been in the game!) so I think a lot of players are loathe to touch it for fear of either;

• a) Upsetting a player - they hardly need much encouragement in this department, and with constant squad/morale management needed for new contracts/over playing time then I expect a lot of players feel the risk/reward just isn't worth it? I know I certainly interact with my guys as little as is 'humanly' possible because the overreactions - which may be realistic/may not - are all too frequent and can be unbelievably damaging to performances/results overall and this is a results business lest we forget! :D
  • b) causing a drop in performance if they 'do it wrong'.

Fwiw, I tried them at first but never ever do them now; I feel I can glean enough information from scout reports etc that it stands me in good stead. If there was a tangible & proven benefit to doing them then I might be more keen, but as with team talks - which I reluctantly do because of aforementioned complacency and management of it - they fall into the 'FM busywork' grey area for me where it's a question of 'realism vs fun'? Having the option to assign it to Ass Man obviously helps, but if they were to become more effective then my worry is that by delegating, you're leaving yourself open to a 6/10 effort (as with press conferences when my ass man upsets a few players maybe 1-2/10 times?), effectively giving the opposition a free bonus (as with the team talks) so I'd feel compelled to do them manually at the expense of overall enjoyment?

Obviously that's a selfish 'me first' answer, if everyone else loves them then naturally I'd expect you to go with the critical mass, but - and this is pure conjecture - my guess is the majority may prefer their removal as opposed to increased effectiveness, unless they were done in such a way as to make them interesting/engaging? Hate to come at it with only negatives but I can't for the life of me think of a way that you could achieve that, especially when it would need to be replicated 40+ times a season (so in my current save i'd have had to do over 500 of the things?!)... :onmehead:

Edited by optimusprimal82