Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
3runhomer

“Likes to try to beat offside trap” trait can’t be unlearned

Two of my strikers have the dreaded “likes to try to beat offside trap” trait. I’ve had it set on “discourage” for 2.5 seasons and it hasn’t gone away yet. It makes the players worthless because it causes them to go offside almost every time the ball comes their way. 

Notice that it still has “he’s BEGUN to learn a new trait”. No progress in more than 2 seasons. 

05814117-9564-4BC7-A436-C944D6965ECC.png

Hi @3runhomer,

As far as I'm aware just because a player is told to lose a trait it doesn't guarantee that they will forget it. A trait can be something a player has had throughout his career and therefore making him less likely to respond when asked to forget it.

The players age is also a factor, the older they are = less willing they are to change their game. 

I've done some research into this today regarding how the trait feature works in FMT compared to Full FM. In full FM traits are discussed with coaches, so if you want a player to lose a trait you have a conversation with your coach who provides feedback as to whether he believes the player can forget the trait or not, and obviously as we don't have these types of interactions in FMT this information isn't shown. 

The training report would be a perfect place for this type of information to be displayed, and as you mentioned when you tell a player to forget a trait you're met with the "has recently begun working towards developing a new trait" message which is incorrect.

I'll do some further research on this, however to me it seems like the issue here will be displaying that a player can't forget a trait in a clearer way and not the fact that a trait can't be unlearnt 

Hope that helps and if you need any further information then do let us know 

Many Thanks,

Declan

Thanks for your response, but saying that a player can’t unlearn “likes to try to beat offside trap” is unrealistic. 

In real life the manager would tell him, “If you’re offside more than once in the next match I’m putting you on the reserve squad.”  The player would immediately stop messing around and get his lazy butt onside. Instant unlearning. 

..and in the process he Player would be utterly useless because he would shy away from making decisons in the shortest amount of time. He could look to be onside always but would loose any focus and readiness to challenge the opposing team. From a trait perspective and hardness to unlearn its totally ok. Loose your Basic instincts and i guess as pro player you loose a lot of what made you good.

Hi @3runhomer,

That's simply untrue. Trying to beat the offside trap shouldn't necessarily be seen as a  negative. As an example Jamie Vardy registered the most offsides in the Premier League last season (44) yet finished the 4th top scorer with 20 and Harry Kane registered 42 offsides and scored 30 Premier League goals.

If Vardy was told to "stop being offside so much" by his manager it would remove one of his strongest traits from his game, meaning less chances and ultimately less goals.

As mentioned above, I fully agree the way traits are explained / displayed could be better. However the issue here isn't the fact that a player is unable to forget a trait

Cheers,

Declan