Doing your homework on the opposition

• 1 month later...

I think it is also very effective to watch the full match video for the first 3-5 minutes of every match. It is easy to know the opposite team's pressing urgency and attacking build up speed by this way, which is most important.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Y said:

I think it is also very effective to watch the full match video for the first 3-5 minutes of every match. It is easy to know the opposite team's pressing urgency and attacking build up speed by this way, which is most important.

I've come to the conclusion that this is pretty much essential if you want to do well in FM19. I always watch the first 15-20 minutes of the match on Full Match and make TI/PI/Mentality tweaks to take away what it looks like what the other team wants to do/take advantage of what they're giving me. While you can do some prediction of a team's approach before the game, you only really know once you see who they select where and what they're trying to do on the pitch.

One thing that you can prep for before kickoff is in the prematch analysis, there is a way to view what they try and do on set pieces, so for situations like corners it can be handy to know if they're going to consistently try far post deliveries and to stack that area with your best aerial defenders. (As an aside, a great anecdote from the book The Mixer is that when Rafa was in charge of Liverpool, he would deliberately use only certain deliveries on corners until a game against another big team, at which point he would change to a different one to prevent them from being able to plan for it.)

Archived