Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Kakidaniel

How do I play Jürgen Klopp's Gegenpress with Liverpool?

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

I have a very simpel question and it's "how do I play Jürgen Klopp's Gegenpress with Liverpool"? I have tested and tested and I don't seem to find a good tactic at all that suit the irl-version.

The problem is that this years Liverpool is a little different offensive than last year, I am aware of that. But here is my idea.

Main goalscorer in order: Salah / Firmino / Mané
Assist in order: Robertson / Alexander-Arnold / Front 3 / 3 center mids

So, I want to get crosses to the front 3, make the front 3 doing lots of goals and at the same time having the mid 3 being like a wall. I also want van Dijk to pass the ball often which he does irl.

How can I implement this to a tactic as I cannot make a good one at all with Liverpool and it's extremely frustrating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kakidaniel said:

The problem is that this years Liverpool is a little different offensive than last year, I am aware of that

Yes, this year Klopp (thankfully) does not play geggen-press, unlike the previous season. And formation-wise he is switching between a 433 and 4231. I suppose you want to play with a 4141dm wide (as the game calls it in FM19)?

 

30 minutes ago, Kakidaniel said:

here is my idea.

Main goalscorer in order: Salah / Firmino / Mané
Assist in order: Robertson / Alexander-Arnold / Front 3 / 3 center mids

I think it's a wrong idea to so specifically plan who will be your three main scorers - and even setting the "order" at that. You may create a good tactic and get results, but there is no guarantee that Salah will score the most, followed by Firmino and Mane. The same goes for assists (even more so).

Anyway, I'll come back later to offer some ideas as to how you could tactically achieve what you described :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, this year Klopp (thankfully) does not play geggen-press, unlike the previous season. And formation-wise he is switching between a 433 and 4231. I suppose you want to play with a 4141dm wide (as the game calls it in FM19)?

I think it's a wrong idea to so specifically plan who will be your three main scorers - and even setting the "order" at that. You may create a good tactic and get results, but there is no guarantee that Salah will score the most, followed by Firmino and Mane. The same goes for assists (even more so).

Anyway, I'll come back later to offer some ideas as to how you could tactically achieve what you described :thup:

Your'e right, I want the last year's Liverpool. Not this. I tried and got best result with cm/u - dpl/f - cm/u in the center midfield because in that way the front three would get more area to work on/with. With that I could also use the wing backs to get more offensive and cross the ball to the other side(in which theyv'e done last year, or am I maybe wrong?).

But I was thinking.. What if the most central of the midfielders was in a dm-position? Would this be more balanced?

And also, how exactly would I play the front three? Inner forwards with support/attack-mentality and maybe F9 on Firmino which will give Salah more area in the absolute front?

Thank you very much for helping me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Kakidaniel said:

What if the most central of the midfielders was in a dm-position? Would this be more balanced?

I think that Klopp in real life plays a narrow flat 433 (i.e. with 3 CMs and no DM), but in the game I would rather opt for a version with DM (and wide forwards instead of the 2 outer strikers). Anyway, if you want to replicate the last season (geggen-press) Liverpool, I would go with this setup:

F9

IFsu                                      RMD

MEZsu    BBM

HB/DLPde

CWBsu     BPDst    CDco      WBsu

SKsu

Mentality - Positive (occasionally Attacking)

Team instructions:

In possession - play out of defence, shorter passing, higher tempo, be more expressive, low crosses, play narrower

In transition - counter, counter-press, distribute quickly

Out of possession - higher DL, much higher LOE, extremely urgent pressing, tighter marking, prevent short GKD

However, I have to warn you that this setup has potential weaknesses in defense (as did the last season LFC after all).

Edited by Experienced Defender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kakidaniel said:

Hello everyone!

I have a very simpel question and it's "how do I play Jürgen Klopp's Gegenpress with Liverpool"? I have tested and tested and I don't seem to find a good tactic at all that suit the irl-version.

The problem is that this years Liverpool is a little different offensive than last year, I am aware of that. But here is my idea.

Main goalscorer in order: Salah / Firmino / Mané
Assist in order: Robertson / Alexander-Arnold / Front 3 / 3 center mids

So, I want to get crosses to the front 3, make the front 3 doing lots of goals and at the same time having the mid 3 being like a wall. I also want van Dijk to pass the ball often which he does irl.

How can I implement this to a tactic as I cannot make a good one at all with Liverpool and it's extremely frustrating!

I will try to get you my interpretation of Klopp´s Liverpool.
Formation: 4-1-4-1DM
Mentality: Standard (you can try positive, but some roles will need change a little bit)
TI: Play out of defense, Play narrower, Lower tempo, Higher defensive line, Higher LOE, Offside trap, COUNTERPRESS, COUNTERATTACKS

SKs - WBs, CDd, CDd, WBa - Dmd - CMa, APs - IFa, IFs - F9 (DLFs)
 

SKs - sweep behind high line and help with creating from back (if you have GK with good passing)
WBs - Create width down the right, crossing 
CDd - Great positioning, Jumping, Heading, Fast
WBa - more offensive player to create width down the left and crossing 
DM- controller, deep passing option, first line of defence
CMa - runner from deep to create openings in opposition defence.
APs - your chief playmaker 
IFa - Salah. Fast, move inside, assist scoring - work as a CF wide when F9 is deeper, IFa attack through the middle (like switching position between Salah and Firmino)
IFs - Mane. More creative inside forward, but can score a lot too. More forward runs PI is helpfull. Attack left channel
F9 - Bobby. As a F9 can operate in golden zone during the transition and create opening for IFa in the middle to run. Sometimes can be change to DLFs (you will see in the game)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kakidaniel said:

But I was thinking.. What if the most central of the midfielders was in a dm-position? Would this be more balanced?

You really don't need him in that position against lone striker formations, especially not with defend duty. But against 2 striker systems it's different, you need extra man helping your centre backs. I'd say Liverpool plays with flat three usually but it depends on opponents formation, real life tactics are much more flexible. 

As for the front three I'd play them as IFs, DLFs and TQ. Good luck with managing them to score though. 

Another tip, try not to use too attacking mentality against defensive teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should give this a watch too.

 

I think the roles are somewhere between what Experience Defender and Tyrinko suggested.

IFs            F9          IFa

  Mezs   DLPs  Meza

CWBs  BPD CD WBs

Edited by scwiffy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...