Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
sporadicsmiles

19.3 Strikers not dropping into space when they should

I know this is a known issue, but I figured you guys would be happy to have as many examples as possible. I actually think this is a bit better than before, actually. I will also post an example of the striker dropping into space when he should. However, several times this still is not happening, and one of them I find very bad. The pkm is attached.

The bad.

26.24  minutes.

Stk-Lei_2626.thumb.png.c22f7c323497fc416e68a3ab9b7bcb1c.png

This screenshot is not the best representation, because the ball carrier clearly cannot make the pass. Just before this, however, the pass was on. The striker (a DLF(S) at this point) and the right winger (a T(A)) are pushed up against the defensive line. There is a huge amount of space in front of the defence here. One player absolutely has to drop into that space and be available to a pass. It would create an extremely dangerous situation. Instead the ball is recycled and lost.

52.30 minutes.

Stk-Lei_5239.thumb.png.faef3415a2e69015b1819b7723e1e0ee.png

Again, you can see there is a huge pocket of space in front of the defence. The forwards (all of them, AML, STC, AMR) are pushed on the defensive line. There is the chance for the STC to drop into this hole, take a defender with him, and create a chance for a runner from midfield to get into the space he created. Indeed, this position is tailor made for that to happen.

The Good.

Just to not be all doom and gloom, I did see some more positive aspects during my watching this game. Perhaps it can help you guys figure out what is being triggered differently.

Stk-Lei_8355.thumb.png.86d0bd45bbe380d90dafb78ff81027d7.png

Here there is lots of space (it is after a throw in) and the STC has dropped into it (not as far as I would like, but I do not think that important here). In this he did receive the ball. This is the positioning I would have liked to see in the two examples above.

You can also take a look at various other time stamps for examples both good and bad.

85.23 (bad)

87.16 (good)

88.32 (bad)

89.45 (good)

90.07 (bad).

I did not log every single thing, just at the end, I spent the last 10 minutes on full highlights. I hope these examples can help. I am more than happy to do the same (pointing out both good and bad) movement for subsequent games I play, if you would find this useful.

Stoke v Leicester.pkm

I would also like to make it clear that strikers are absolutely dropping deeper a lot better than before. I am seeing my DLF being involved in build up play a lot, lot more than before. So this is not meant to be read as a hyper critical point, or something I am always seeing. Just thought these were some clear and obvious times where dropping deeper would have been good. 

I would also like to make it clear that strikers are absolutely dropping deeper a lot better than before. I am seeing my DLF being involved in build up play a lot, lot more than before. So this is not meant to be read as a hyper critical point, or something I am always seeing. Just thought these were some clear and obvious times where dropping deeper would have been good. 

I struggle with that too... I still haven't played the beta update but seeing the formation you use I have a question. How do your CMs act? Mine are usually advanced playmakers, I want them to move the ball around but they keep shooting an unreasonable (and annoying) amount of long shots against defensive teams. They do so ignoring team and individual instructions regarding long shots, and the front three, mainly because they become isolated (striker not coming deep, no off the ball movement...).

Do you have this problem? If so have you seen any improvement?

3 hours ago, Nil14 said:

I struggle with that too... I still haven't played the beta update but seeing the formation you use I have a question. How do your CMs act? Mine are usually advanced playmakers, I want them to move the ball around but they keep shooting an unreasonable (and annoying) amount of long shots against defensive teams. They do so ignoring team and individual instructions regarding long shots, and the front three, mainly because they become isolated (striker not coming deep, no off the ball movement...).

Do you have this problem? If so have you seen any improvement?

Try to drop mentality to more defensive, (with close down more, higher d-line, shorter passing etc). This should give you more patient approach and less shooting. When opponents switch to more attacking style you can do that too. You should never be too many mentalities above them. 

And I wouldn't use two APMs too.

Edited by Mitja

20 hours ago, Nil14 said:

I still haven't played the beta update but seeing the formation you use I have a question

The formation you see is not mine, it is the oppositions. I vary my CM roles quite a lot, so it is hard to answer that question generally. 

20 hours ago, Nil14 said:

I want them to move the ball around but they keep shooting an unreasonable (and annoying) amount of long shots against defensive teams

Echoing what Mitja said, long shots from midfield can be due to their being no good options available. This can be related to striker movement (although this is much improved at the moment, not perfect but forwards are not glued to the defenders now). The best thing you can do is make sure there is always a passing option around your midfielder, as described above. 

@sporadicsmiles thanks for the feedback.

There has been a lot of work done on the DLF role dropping into space. I know you mentioned some good points too.

They should not always drop deep because at times there are chances when they can get the ball high, especially when playing as a lone striker.

Please continue to feedback when you can.

7 hours ago, CJ Ramson said:

@sporadicsmiles thanks for the feedback.

There has been a lot of work done on the DLF role dropping into space. I know you mentioned some good points too.

They should not always drop deep because at times there are chances when they can get the ball high, especially when playing as a lone striker.

Please continue to feedback when you can.

I know, I tried to pick the most obvious cases here where clearly someone should have dropped back where a lot of space has been generated by the other side being out of position. In general, I am finding the strikers to be much, much better than before, so keep up the good work. I will only add examples like the one above where the behaviour is clearly strange.