Sports Interactive Community
andu1

The number of goals dropped in 19.3 / ME v1926

After playing some more games in the beta update with my current save i feel the number of goals scored has dropped drastically in AI vs AI games. Top teams have a hard time scoring goals now.

Some evidence for this in the attached screenshots.

First part of the season played with 19.2.3. Goals scored seem normal, with top teams dominating.

image.thumb.png.c503a156859ff0925db55cdb51b2584a.png

Second part of the season played with 19.3 update has seen a dramatical decrease in goals scored. Even if only 14 games played. City scored 46 goals in first part of the season and only 14 so far in 12 games with updated ME.

image.thumb.png.0031fd823d0be8a6090c12887bb574e4.png

i will keep a look for the goals scored but it does seem that there are fewer goals then in 19.2.3. 

I am curios as to what is happening in other people's saves and if SI has some sort of tracker to compare average goal numbers between 19.2.3 and 19.3

LE: I have started a new save in premier league to test the number of goals and the initial theory holds, that there is a lower number of goals in this version. Full details on.

image.thumb.png.7222bef091ca955c5d77af73ee32aff1.png

The number of goals scored is far too few for the top teams. Only one team manages to have 2 goals/game , the rest are under. And to include real life PL,  in 26 games all teams from top 5 have at least 50 goals scored and an average of minimum 2 goals per game.

Maybe top players don't score as often as they should? The lower rated teams goals per game seems normal. It's just that top teams don't score as much as they should.

Another test game shows the same lethargy of attacking players. Messi scoring just 2 goals in 22 games!

image.thumb.png.181a608f827b63a0e8cb2a8ac4ca2f91.png

Edited by andu1

So it's definitely running in full detail and not just a case of loading the league as playable?

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

So it's definitely running in full detail and not just a case of loading the league as playable?

It's running on full detail. I have quite a good PC which can simulate the leagues with full detail enabled. 

But for comparison i also ran the league without full details and the results were similar.

I've noticed a decrease in goals scored (both my team and AI) in my own matches as well since updating to 19.3.0. I think a lot of it has to do with there being less direct free kicks scored, which is nice to see IMO. Before there was at least 1 direct free kick scored pretty much every game, often even 3 or more. I think it's more realistic now.

56 minutes ago, laurentius82 said:

I've noticed a decrease in goals scored (both my team and AI) in my own matches as well since updating to 19.3.0. I think a lot of it has to do with there being less direct free kicks scored, which is nice to see IMO. Before there was at least 1 direct free kick scored pretty much every game, often even 3 or more. I think it's more realistic now.

I noticed it too, but this has to be compensated with more goals from open play which does not happen unfortunately.

Since updating the Beta I've seen more through balls than before and a bit of better movement from the strikers and plenty of clear cut chances being created but not converted. 

I'm noticing a lot of blocked shots, woodwork and keepers making saves.  Some of these have been down to my players striking right at the goalkeeper (Man Utd with players with high decisions/composure etc).

Most goals now come from FKs, Corners....The odd open play goal will come from a great counter but I've yet to slice open an opposition team who are camping in their own half trying to defend for their lifes which with United is majority of teams I face!

This is what I believe is creating the shortage of goals, striker movement and players passing forwards isn't great but I don't believe it's the issue right now.  Players not making good shots (straight at the keeper) and the ping pong collision of shots into defenders/straight at keepers is a cause.

Woodwork also seems to be an issue, In every match since updating my team hits the woodwork at least once.  Many matches both teams are hitting the woodwork alot.  I had one game where I hit it 4 times and my opponents hit it twice.

I'll provide some evidences and PKMs from my matches later (in work now).  I'm also started a new game completely with this update and plan on holidaying through the season and reviewing all data at the end.  I'll provide SI with some insight from my research.

Just want to also note, that for me the match engine has gotten better in this update and if frequency of goals can can go up by improving conversion rate of CCC or tweaking shots being blocked it will be the best engine in a long while for my reckoning....My main concern is that this is just too much to fix for this game and we go back to the cycle of waiting for FM20 and hoping the shortcomings in that Match Engine (there will always be problems in them) aren't enough to kill the game....For me though as right now, having strikers that don't score in open play is ruining things for me.  

I'm seeing very few goals as well.

This is the current amount after 32 games. Chelsea in the top with only 55?

Surely this is a bit low?

image.thumb.png.3229ed5e84f239eb9d551d542c0c8065.png

@andu1

It would be interesting to simulate a season with all league managers being set with 1in "sitting back" attribute to see how much influence has the too defensive AI issue.

4 hours ago, Mitja said:

@andu1

It would be interesting to simulate a season with all league managers being set with 1in "sitting back" attribute to see how much influence has the too defensive AI issue.

It would but i don't have access to an ingame editor right now. Anyway i don't think that 19.3 will be released with this version of ME. if it is i'd rather stay on 19.2.3 and there are ways to keep the game on that version. ;)

12 hours ago, Karnack said:

I'm seeing very few goals as well.

This is the current amount after 32 games. Chelsea in the top with only 55?

Surely this is a bit low?

image.thumb.png.3229ed5e84f239eb9d551d542c0c8065.png

And keep in mind it's even lower in 1927 ME as they've nerfed long shots compared to 1926. My tests were done in 1926 ME

27 minutes ago, andu1 said:

It would but i don't have access to an ingame editor right now. Anyway i don't think that 19.3 will be released with this version of ME. if it is i'd rather stay on 19.2.3 and there are ways to keep the game on that version. ;)

I managed to improve my gaming experience of fm17 a lot by altering managers attributes and formations. Lowering sitting back might do the trick since many of lower quality teams managers have really high numbers there. My experience is that normal vs normal mentality tactics produce much better games and stats.