Struggling to make chances.

Hi, I am managing Real Madrid and I'm in the second season. I'm doing well results wise but I'm just not making chances at all. I am 9 wins from 9 in the League scoring 29 and conceding 4, however I am rock bottom on chances created with just 2! Barcelona are on top with 19. Haven't wanted to post because I wanted to figure it out myself but I can't. Also didn't want to look silly :( 

Tactic: 824945325_RealMadridClubdeFtbol_Overview-2.thumb.png.85270f674db073e943dd497625ea124a.png

My idea behind it. Standard back 4 and GK. Playing on attacking mentality so my full backs should be quite high up supporting.  BWM on the right hand side because of the attacking duty for the RW.  CM on the left to just control the game, attack if needed but just stay in the middle and support. Winger and Inside Forward. One to cut inside and be more of a goal scorer whilst the winger offers an option in space and to take on a full back. AP in the hole to be a creator and goal scorer. CF to help in the build up but also to get in the box.  

Team instructions: Attacking because I wanted to score goals, create chances and constantly pressure.  Play out of defence, I don't have the players to win headers from goal kicks and most teams sit back anyway so I can just pass it to my CBs. Shorter passing, not to waste the ball looking for more direct passing. Work ball into the box, stop the long shots. 

Pushed up because I'm attacking so counter press to win the ball back before they counter me, counter because I'm attacking so get the ball and go. 

Something is working because it's great defensively and I'm scoring goals. However they are either free kicks/rebounds/corners/crosses/long shots. On the flip side, I haven't played many teams to threaten me so it could turn ugly once I do as I create no chances. 

1866439844_RealMadridClubdeFtbol_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.e2930880ef148d24cec54de3f2f4aef7.png1820898765_ChelseavRealMadrid_StatsMatchStats.thumb.png.692706f04c880fb2cb2f596363f0de4c.png

I conceded from a corner against Chelsea, deserved to lose the game. 

2077285453_RealMadridClubdeFtbol_AnalysisGoals.thumb.png.286ef3606f32437acba35375c38e41b3.png851047353_RealMadridClubdeFtbol_AnalysisGoals-2.thumb.png.a7231975e8df7be1923a3c6e005c208e.png

If someone could help me understand what looks like a problem just from this that would be great. I read many things on here and various other places and thought I had finally got something going for me. Got concerned about chances being created and found out it's a big problem. 

Did you take your players' attributes and traits when setting the roles and duties up? Or you created the setup first and then just assigned them to players, without paying attention to who will be placed into which position/role?

I am asking this because, for example, I see that you play Kroos as a standard CM, even though he is a world-class playmaker. I don't know enough about your front four players, so cannot tell you whether IMO their roles and duties are well-chosen. But I can give you a couple of ideas based on what you described as your issues.

For example, I would first lower the mentality to Positive. Playing on attacking mentality does not mean your attacks will be successful in terms of creating good chances. With positive mentality, your players will still be primarily attack-minded, but will not rush the play too much and instead try to work the ball in a more measured manner. This way chances you create would be of a better quality.

Now that the mentality has been slightly tempered, you can add some deep runners to provide more support to the front four in the final third. But in order to tell you which particular roles and duties would best suit your team, I would need to see screenshots of your front four and both fullbacks. So it would be nice if you posted them :thup:

I mean, there are setups that work very nicely in a 4231, but it's hard to tell which one would work for you based on this limited info. Anyway, I'll give you an example of a system that worked for me in a number of cases:

PFsu

APsu         SS         IFat

CAR    DLPde

FBat    CDde   CDde    WBsu

GK/SK

Or this one:

PFat

IFsu       APsu       Wat

DLPde   BBM

FBat    CD    CD     IWBde

Additional team instructions I would consider are "Be more expressive" and "Play wider" (but not the extreme width).

Btw, player instructions can also play an important role.

I appreciate the reply! I had originally planned to use Bale as the CF this season. He looks great as an all rounder but he got injured and injured again so I was left with Benzema who was doing incredibly well. 9 goals in 9 games, average rating at 8.03 in the league. But then he got injured. So I was left with Mariano to which I probably should have changed roles. 

Kept hold of James Rodriguez to play in the middle and Asensio to be used as an Inside Forward. Vinicius and Rodrygo to play on the left. Both young but potential. 

Nacho been my most played at LB so far. 

I thought I had something going and my front 3 of ST/AM/RW were playing really well, assisting/scoring goals for fun. Until I found the no chances problem :( Just to add on to this, despite playing FM every year, I still don't understand a lot of the roles and when/why you would use them so I tend to just stick with the basic roles. 

Dani Carvajal_ Overview Profile.png

James Rodríguez_ Overview Profile.png

Karim Benzema_ Overview Profile.png

Marco Asensio_ Overview Profile.png

Mariano_ Overview Profile.png

Nacho_ Overview Profile.png

Rodrygo_ Overview Profile.png

Vinícius Júnior_ Overview Profile.png

You haven't really explained how you expect the pieces to fit together.  You've pretty much explained why you picked roles by what they do, but then some of them dont do what you want.  AP-At will always be more of a creator than goal scorer except for set pieces, long shots (esp if has trait) or rebounds.  He will pretty much never make runs past the forward.

The main issue I have is how cautious the back 6 outfield players are.  They're going to leave most of the attacking to the front 4 but there's very little patience and you aren't setup to attack quickly/early.

I'd have a look at the roles and how you want them to combine.  Does a W-Su help you with his width and crosses?  Does the CF-Su dropping and roaming help when you have 3 attacking midfielder? Especially when only the IF-At is likely to get into goal scoring areas but often will be alone so an easy job for the opponents cb+FB.  Can you get width from the FBs and create more space inside?

Lots of options but they have to fit together and have the players to play the role how you want.

I would use Vicinius as an IF on the left, rather than a winger. The same goes for Rodrigo (when he plays in AML). Nacho could play as an IWB with defend duty on the left, but I guess you have some other left backs in your team? Possibly some of them would be a better choice than Nacho in that position?

As for Mariano, I would rather play him as a PF on attack or poacher. I don't see him as a CF. Benzema on the other hand can play as a CF, but also some other roles (DLF on either duty, or AF... even a trequartista). 

Asensio is simply "born to be" an advanced playmaker both in AMC and AMR positions. Which duty he should play would depend on how other roles/duties in the system are set up.

Jamez Rodruguez - a shadow striker if you ask me. 

Carvayal - a great fullback. I would use him as a FB on attack or WB on support for most of the time (though he can play any role in his position).

That's how I view the players from the screenshots you posted. Later, in the next post, I'll tell you what my primary tactic would look like with this bunch of guys ;)

So here it is:

DLFsu

IFsu            SS            APat

BWMsu   DLPsu

IWBde   BPDde   CDco    WBsu

GK

GK - Curtois (PI - fewer risky passes)

DR/WBsu - Carvajal

DL/IWBde - Nacho (because I don't know who else you have in the position)

DCR/CDco - Varane

DCL/BDPde - Ramos

MCR/DLPsu - Kroos

MCL/BWMsu - Casemiro (not sure about PIs without having a look at his attributes)

AMR/APat - Asensio

AML/IFsu - Vinicius or Rodtygo (PI - stay wider)

AMC/SS - James

STC/DLFsu - Benzema (PI - roam from position)

Mentality - Positive

Team instructions:

In possession - play out of defence, shorter passing, work ball into box, be more expressive

In transition - counter, counter-press, distribute to CBs&FBs

Out of possession - higher DL, higher (or standard) LOE

As I said in my previous post, this is how my primary tactic would look if I managed these players. Occasional tweaks would likely need to be made, based on the type opposition and on what you see happening on the pitch during a given match.

Tougher games - such as against Barca, Atletico etc.. - would of course require some sort of "special tactic", which would be a bit more conservative and cautious than the primary one.

If you have any questions or want me to explain why I opted for this tactic, feel free to ask :thup:

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:18, Experienced Defender said:

DLFsu

IFsu            SS            APat

BWMsu   DLPsu

IWBde   BPDde   CDco    WBsu 

GK

At the left side, will it not be to few movement? 
Ieft back comes in and support BWM. BWM will roam, but not much. And IFSU will come deeper. Will they not go in each others way ore and left side will be "out of play"? 

2 hours ago, Nima2708 said:

At the left side, will it not be to few movement? 
Ieft back comes in and support BWM. BWM will roam, but not much. And IFSU will come deeper. Will they not go in each others way ore and left side will be "out of play"? 

I devised the tactic based on the qualities of his players, reputation of the team and the type of tactical system he wants to use (4231). So each element of the above tactic is there for a reason. And this setup is meant specifically for these group of players. In case of rotation, certain roles would likely need some tweaking.

Of course, there are other ways to create a good/decent tactic for Real using a 4231 (or another formation), so everyone is free to offer their suggestions :thup:

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I devised the tactic based on the qualities of his players, reputation of the team and the type of tactical system he wants to use (4231). So each element of the above tactic is there for a reason. And this setup is meant specifically for these group of players. In case of rotation, certain roles would likely need some tweaking.

Of course, there are other ways to create a good/decent tactic for Real using a 4231 (or another formation), so everyone is free to offer their suggestions :thup:

No critic :)
You always come with good feedback so I was just wondering what you tought about that. Better to ask and understand then to copy-paste? 

Archived