"Lidocaine" system- help me reach my goal

Some time ago, I got an urge to try a savve with Werder Bremen. In the old times, I quite liked their team, and the current roster is fairly interesting. Looking at Team Report and Comparison screens, several problems became obvious:

- the team are poor tacklers and markers, overall.

- Work Rate and Bravery are below average, as well.

-Strength and Pace/Acceleration are also lacking, other than the right sided players (Rashica, Gebre-Selassie, Beijmo)

On the upside:

- the team has many intelligent players, even in the defense (Anticipation, Composure, Decisions, Positioning).

- technical ability is good, from regular Passing, to Crossing and set pieces.

-Teamwork and Leadership are good.

The roster is affected by several long-term injuries, in particular to players who would play on the wings. I have only one pair of healthy wide players in the midfield. I might create a tactic for them, as they are good players. I have a large-ish number of strikers, though. I am not set on the formation being a diamond necessarily, but it should feature 2 strikers.

All in all, I have this idea:

I want my team to be able to suffocate the game by employing defensive possession football when coming up against the better Bundesliga sides. Without the ball, I want the team to stand off, and not attempt to  close down like crazy as a unit. Certain players may be allowed to be aggressive (Bargfrede), but for most others, it would be better to hold position and be ready to intercept an opposition's pass.

When we have the ball, I would like the midfield to draw in opposition away from the wings, allowing for some overlapping runs and crosses. Through balls by the playmakers are also something I see as viable.

Please leave your feedback on the instructions and role selection. The mentality was set to Positive for the first friendly, but in the Bundesliga, I expect to play Cautious or even lower.

SV Werder Bremen_  Overview.png

19 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I want my team to be able to suffocate the game by employing defensive possession football when coming up against the better Bundesliga sides. Without the ball, I want the team to stand off, and not attempt to  close down like crazy as a unit. Certain players may be allowed to be aggressive (Bargfrede), but for most others, it would be better to hold position and be ready to intercept an opposition's pass.

Arrigo Saachi?

Shallow from front to back. So a low line of engagement, since you are using a DM a standard one can also work, but a low to lower one will draw them out. With a higher defensive line, you reduce playable area, thus choking the game. The challenge for you is the flanks. Since you are playing a narrow diamond, you will still run the risk of gifting the flanks, what you want is to draw them towards the middle, so a wider defensive shape could be the way to go. This means your wider roles like the two mids there need to work their socks off. Work rate, aggression, stamina, bravery, positioning, anticipation, concentration become vital.

The DM is debatable, different roles will give you different effects. If you use a HB he is more aggressive, drops deep allowing you to draw the AI further out if you played with a SK/BPD/CD combo with play out of defence. Here your attack can launch attacks from deep. Ideally like that you want a TM at least up top, since its a static role without MIC. You could develop 6 second attacking moves that only involve a few players.

You can also choke the midfield with your FBs, here though you want to think about how the overlap instruction can help to do that while keeping your backs "safe". The WB and the CWB can be very aggressive. The CWB is an interesting role because of roam so he could venture centrally. Both roles however tend to eschew defensive responsibilities. So here a FB with an overlap could be a really interesting option. Since the overlap increases his mentality this increases his starting position. And that also helps to keep the 2 MCs in check. This depends on where the overlap is applied. Now you get a FB whose starting postion is higher, and this forces some teams into more defensive postures.

In defence you are using a BPD/DLP combo, now the BPD is going to try long range pings at times, but the DLP is not a very effective screen if you want to bomb down the flanks. Here you need to consider several things. The HB is aggressive gives you deeper attacking options, the Anchor man helps to protect you from long shots but doesnt' venture too far to the flanks in support. So having a BBM up top while its a nice role, having a DLP behind isn't so safe. I would think the DLP in midfield would be better.

If you expect the DLP to perform like it did in FM18 its not going to work. The DLP isn't as effective unless you have a player with a battery of traits like comes deep, switch ball to other flank or runs with ball. Here you need to ask yourself what you want this player to do, cos the DLP will run into the channels most of the time. Personally the best role for the link play atm in my honest opinion is the TM in FM19 and probably the Poacher, since neither one has MIC locked. So that link player will help lay off passes for the FB(A), on the other flank I don't really see the need to have a WB playing off a defend duty MC, cos he is going to be very isolated. Having the left flank with such a role with a deeper striker and a wandering role can give you more chances to create nice overlapping supporting attacks on the left flank, and penetration overlapping runs on the right flank. 

Once again you can elect to play with a FB with the get further forward trait, or you can opt for the WB option.  There are other creative roles that can play in midfield, the mezzala is deadly in FM19, the carrilero can surprise if he has good traits like. getting into the box late. Alternatively you can stick with your setup and go DLP(D) in DM, BBM/BWM(S) or BBM/Carr or Mezz/Carr. If you use a DLP instead of a HB you don't get the wide split of CD's to push your backs wider. So you have plenty of options and ways of achieving the choking effect.

20 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Arrigo Saachi?

Shallow from front to back. So a low line of engagement, since you are using a DM a standard one can also work, but a low to lower one will draw them out. With a higher defensive line, you reduce playable area, thus choking the game. The challenge for you is the flanks. Since you are playing a narrow diamond, you will still run the risk of gifting the flanks, what you want is to draw them towards the middle, so a wider defensive shape could be the way to go. This means your wider roles like the two mids there need to work their socks off. Work rate, aggression, stamina, bravery, positioning, anticipation, concentration become vital.

The DM is debatable, different roles will give you different effects. If you use a HB he is more aggressive, drops deep allowing you to draw the AI further out if you played with a SK/BPD/CD combo with play out of defence. Here your attack can launch attacks from deep. Ideally like that you want a TM at least up top, since its a static role without MIC. You could develop 6 second attacking moves that only involve a few players.

You can also choke the midfield with your FBs, here though you want to think about how the overlap instruction can help to do that while keeping your backs "safe". The WB and the CWB can be very aggressive. The CWB is an interesting role because of roam so he could venture centrally. Both roles however tend to eschew defensive responsibilities. So here a FB with an overlap could be a really interesting option. Since the overlap increases his mentality this increases his starting position. And that also helps to keep the 2 MCs in check. This depends on where the overlap is applied. Now you get a FB whose starting postion is higher, and this forces some teams into more defensive postures.

In defence you are using a BPD/DLP combo, now the BPD is going to try long range pings at times, but the DLP is not a very effective screen if you want to bomb down the flanks. Here you need to consider several things. The HB is aggressive gives you deeper attacking options, the Anchor man helps to protect you from long shots but doesnt' venture too far to the flanks in support. So having a BBM up top while its a nice role, having a DLP behind isn't so safe. I would think the DLP in midfield would be better.

If you expect the DLP to perform like it did in FM18 its not going to work. The DLP isn't as effective unless you have a player with a battery of traits like comes deep, switch ball to other flank or runs with ball. Here you need to ask yourself what you want this player to do, cos the DLP will run into the channels most of the time. Personally the best role for the link play atm in my honest opinion is the TM in FM19 and probably the Poacher, since neither one has MIC locked. So that link player will help lay off passes for the FB(A), on the other flank I don't really see the need to have a WB playing off a defend duty MC, cos he is going to be very isolated. Having the left flank with such a role with a deeper striker and a wandering role can give you more chances to create nice overlapping supporting attacks on the left flank, and penetration overlapping runs on the right flank. 

Once again you can elect to play with a FB with the get further forward trait, or you can opt for the WB option.  There are other creative roles that can play in midfield, the mezzala is deadly in FM19, the carrilero can surprise if he has good traits like. getting into the box late. Alternatively you can stick with your setup and go DLP(D) in DM, BBM/BWM(S) or BBM/Carr or Mezz/Carr. If you use a DLP instead of a HB you don't get the wide split of CD's to push your backs wider. So you have plenty of options and ways of achieving the choking effect.

The idea for a DLP-S was: Nuri Sahin has intelligence all over the place, but can't do the dirty work. So, he stays in place mostly, and makes interceptions with his mental stats, and is allowed to be creative with the ball. He also likes to switch the ball to the other flank. I could move him into the midfield, and play a 4-3-1-2.

The roles of the wide defenders were dictated by their ability: the LB is great defensively and has excellent crossing even from deep, but he's slower than the RB, who isn't that good at tackling, or certain mentals. Should the defensive minded MC be switched to the left, anyway? He (Bargfrede) is the best I have for Tackling, Work Rate, Bravery etc, I'm looking to buy 1 more such player, but Bargfrede is the main "butcher".

I have no Target Men in the team. Pizarro could be either a DLF or a Poacher, and it fits well with his age. I want him chained to the penalty box, and receiving crosses.

I will mention one alternative option: I have a Libero-capable CB. Moisander has excellent mentals. Provided I buy more CB-s, is wingback 3-4-1-2 a good idea?

4 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

Please leave your feedback on the instructions and role selection

Do you select roles and duties based on players' attributes (and traits) or according to what the game suggests as the "best" role for a player? I'm asking this because I've noticed that most of your roles have the full-green circle.

5 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Do you select roles and duties based on players' attributes (and traits) or according to what the game suggests as the "best" role for a player? I'm asking this because I've noticed that most of your roles have the full-green circle.

The game's suggestions, but I check over attribute ratings, and it usually ends up being consistent with the role suitability. I admit that certain players may be very versatile, and the role they are assigned is a matter of tactical tweaking, but as the first pick when creating a tactic, I usually give them their very best role, for starters. This is what I did for the MCR. He's a BWM-D, but could be changed to maybe a CAR.

16 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

The game's suggestions, but I check over attribute ratings, and it usually ends up being consistent with the role suitability. I admit that certain players may be very versatile, and the role they are assigned is a matter of tactical tweaking, but as the first pick when creating a tactic, I usually give them their very best role, for starters. This is what I did for the MCR. He's a BWM-D, but could be changed to maybe a CAR.

Okay, thanx :)

Archived