• FM19
  2. 2. Age bracket when playing favorite game

• Under 21
    • 22 to 34
    • 35 to 44
    • 45 to 54
    • 55 to 64
    • 65 and Over

FM16 was my favourite, probably because I had my best ever and longest ever save on it where I dominated everything with Southampton and had my only ever unbeaten league season in 2028/29!

It's a hard question, I liked all of them, but if I had to chose one, it's FM13. Not played much FM15, FM17 and FM18 and I think the most bugged one was FM08.

FM19 is a superb iteration in the series.

I've gotta say I had the most fun with FM07, its been my favourite edition. I also believe it had the best ever skin. It was a really good game. Oh.. and I loved Freddy Adu in it a 15 year old wonder kid. I've attached a couple of screen shots to remind people how cool the skin was! Great memories with this version.

Image result for football manager 2007 cherno samba

Related image

Image result for freddy adu fm07

Edited by Weller1980

Still playing FM12. Love this version of the game.

I bought 13-17 as well but just couldn't get into them in the same way so have not bothered with 18 and 19. (should I try 19????)

My biggest issue with the newer versions I feel is that tactics and training are now so much more in depth. I prefer the simplicity of FM12 in this respect. Maybe I'm just plain lazy!

My longest, most fun and rewarding career was on FM14, so I have to pick that one.

FM10 and 12 were good too, as they rekindled my long-lost love for the game.

The newer ones are a mixed bag... Some great additions, some much-needed tweaks, but also a lot of frustrating and annoying hoops to jump through that I feel weren't really a priority. And at least one aggravating ME "quirk" that severely hampers playability.

Edited by RBKalle

1 minute ago, RBKalle said:

My longest, most fun and rewarding career was on FM14, so I have to pick that one.

FM10 and 12 were good too, as they rekindled my long-lost love for the game.

The newer ones are a mixed bag... Some great additions, some much-needed tweaks, but also a lot of frustrating and annoying hoops to jump through that I feel weren't really a priority. And at least one aggravating ME "quirk" that severely hampers playability.

I managed to separate my save and the version. I had fun saves in 08, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 16. More than 19 so far. They weren't my vote.

21 hours ago, prot651 said:

Oops I'm sorry 

I sharpened my pitchforks and got the torches out just for you! FM05 was one of my favourites, changing from CM 03/04 (Which was also amazing!) and moving to a pure SI game.

As I can't have '05, I went for '08 instead. I still play it on my laptop when I am out and about.

FM07 was my favourite out of those listed there, it was probably the last season when there was a reasonable underdog feel to playing as Stoke on the game. My enjoyment of management games has pretty much always inversely corresponded with how Stoke are doing in real life so based on current trends FM2020/21 should be absolutely amazing for me.

7 hours ago, prot651 said:

With FM12 being an old favorite maybe SI should build on that premise or take note of why it was a favorite amongst others . 

I can guarantee they won't be looking back at FM12, as that version in every way possible, has been left behind. Which was said in the old version of this vote

To be honest i cannot believe the direction they took with the game.  

I bought and played every edition up to fm 13 and i cannot stop playing fm 12. 

I was even gifted fm 15 and couldn't get into it.

I played the demo of FM 19 and bought Dybala for Liverpool. Just felt unrealistic in first transfer.

Even in FM 12 it can be quite difficult to get neymar. 

I think the game has become more about media management than football management.  

Fm 12 had a simplicity about it but was difficult. 

I really believe they have lost sight on the important things for football manager and gone with social media and media intergration to a point where it is impossible to pull it back.  

Not enough football manager-y things happen. 

For that reason and the fact i get the best Messi and Ronaldo... i love FM 12.

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I can guarantee they won't be looking back at FM12, as that version in every way possible, has been left behind. Which was said in the old version of this vote

Still very popular

Once you remove the recentness bias, it's interesting that FM 12 won the poll. Years ago, it was CM 01/02, FM 07 and FM 10 that were the big 3, didn't hear/read anyone talk about FM 12 so much.

Would've been interesting to see what the 22-34 age is made up of, doesn't really tell us much. The results there are pretty expected.

On 08/02/2019 at 10:48, Weller1980 said:

I've gotta say I had the most fun with FM07, its been my favourite edition. I also believe it had the best ever skin. It was a really good game. Oh.. and I loved Freddy Adu in it a 15 year old wonder kid. I've attached a couple of screen shots to remind people how cool the skin was! Great memories with this version.

Image result for football manager 2007 cherno samba

Related image

Image result for freddy adu fm07

I've fully simulated every single player, country and league in FM 07 for my FM Story/Career Update and I'm in 2026 so far. I don't think I even checked how Adu ended up.

The save file's about 2GB, so it needs to be compressed to save which takes 12 minutes! So at some point, probably just before the year 2100, the game will be unable to save and that'll be when I 'retire' or die dramatically and heroically.

Edited by git2thachoppa

Was FM12 one of the last games before an ME overhaul of sorts? Nothing sticks in the memory too much from that game for me. 

I do have to say though I wonder what the main points of contention are with FM19 because I've seen posts about things like the need to be heavily micro-managing but I haven't experienced it myself. I barely interact with players, I've barely done a press conference in over 3 years the longest part of my FM19 save is the fact I bother to write monthly recaps on the careers board. Meanwhile that thread has the documented journey of me taking Stoke into the champions league with precious little in the way of signings. 

Just love that old time grass background and skin of 2005. For the lack of 2005 which somehow was the perfect mix between clean style, sleek look and depth i went for 2006 which wasnt much different anyway. . Somehow the game then after 2007 became more and more complex , but lost general flair and fun for me. Had all the version still until 12 but lost interest. Then got 15 and 17 on sale which were a good decision, 17 seemed very balanced to me. I never did regret not getting 18, it seemed very superficial and unbalanced. I have to admit i expected 19 to be a lot  better, it focused to much on micromanagement and superficial things again.

I agree 07 mabye was the pinnacle, but i remember 2005 for defining that style of the game. Never really felt the same from 2008 onwards. Suddenly it was more tactics and micromanagement without giving you the Feeling you really had an Impact on the world,  that seemed so lively until 2007.

Weller , that picture alone brings tears of yoy to my eyes. Kudos for that safe. Everytime a new FM Comes out i basically have the unrealistic hope of a FM 2005/06/07 with just deeper world and streamlined deeper menus. Maybe i just need to play that old game tbh.

Edited by GerdMuller

8 hours ago, santy001 said:

Was FM12 one of the last games before an ME overhaul of sorts? Nothing sticks in the memory too much from that game for me. 

Yes. FM11 and FM12, in terms of the ME anyway, were basically identical. Behind the scenes, the ME received a huge overhaul, introducing collision avoidance so that players don't ghost through each other and it was introduced in FM13.

3 hours ago, prot651 said:

Can I ask why . I think FM 19 has flaws but wondering what your opinion is of the game

Its just an okay version of FM. It has new shiny paint and flashy features. But there are so many issues with the game. Saying FM19 is the best FM is just a bonkers concept to me. It is the most flawed version of the game I've personally played.

1 hour ago, oulzac said:

Its just an okay version of FM. It has new shiny paint and flashy features. But there are so many issues with the game. Saying FM19 is the best FM is just a bonkers concept to me. It is the most flawed version of the game I've personally played.

Yeah I agree . I always find the 3D part the biggest let down . To me if you got a great game and the end of the game lets you down then its flawed . Its like all that good work is let down by a sub standard finish . 

2 hours ago, oulzac said:

Football manager has different appeals to different people.

FM10 had my favourite save, but this is likely to go down as my favourite FM. Both centred around core changes to the tactics creator. 

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Yes. FM11 and FM12, in terms of the ME anyway, were basically identical. Behind the scenes, the ME received a huge overhaul, introducing collision avoidance so that players don't ghost through each other and it was introduced in FM13.

Who can forget the "ghost" poacher? Stand any quick player in the middle and watch him bag hatfuls (Carlos Fierro). That was the point I really fell in love with support role forwards because I really wanted to see something different up front than everyone playing Carlos Fierro. That and CMs defensively were too damn high, to the point. Didn't really leave an impact on me tbh. 

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Who can forget the "ghost" poacher? Stand any quick player in the middle and watch him bag hatfuls (Carlos Fierro). That was the point I really fell in love with support role forwards because I really wanted to see something different up front than everyone playing Carlos Fierro. That and CMs defensively were too damn high, to the point. Didn't really leave an impact on me tbh. 

Yeah, 2 or 3 quick poachers were the go to tactics.

I got annoyed with the fact that target men/tall strikers were almost useless as headed goals were extremely rare. I think my favourite save was FM09, but thinking back, I went very far into the CL (I may have won it, but it was 10 years ago, so my memory fails here) with a Norwegian team, Kolstad, getting them to them top with two world class Norwegian strikers. Between the 2 of them, they regularly score 80+ goals a season. They were fast, tall and technical. No plan or defender could stop them. Ah, Magnus Evjen and Patrick Dreyer. Those were the days. Terribly unrealistic, but it was fun.

I'm still playing FM10 right now. My favorite version of the series by far. I'm always go to holiday until 2060-2070s in a full regen world and pick a team to start my career with. The quality of the regens was fantastic in FM10. And 10.3 match engine was the best.

DC Nuti.png

Manetta.png

Pereira.png

Peltonen.png

Edited by shaderlord

For some people (like me), there's a clear distinction between having a favourite version and a version they consider to be the best.

My favourite FM was FM13, which came out when I was 22. That's mainly because I enjoyed my longest ever save on that version - 31 seasons, 21 of which I spent taking Dagenham & Redbridge from the Conference to becoming English, European and world champions.

In my opinion, the best FM so far was FM17. My only major gripes with FM17 were the surprisingly regular fluke cross-shots (which, admittedly, were around for quite a while) and the hideous newgen faces. I'm reserving my final judgement on FM19 until after the final patch, but I think that will overtake FM17.

6 hours ago, RobertPage said:

FM12 for me, but imagine if FM19 had that ME... :eek:

Then we'd all be complaining about fast strikers moving through defenders, as opposed to not moving at all. :brock:

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

For some people (like me), there's a clear distinction between having a favourite version and a version they consider to be the best.

My favourite FM was FM13, which came out when I was 22. That's mainly because I enjoyed my longest ever save on that version - 31 seasons, 21 of which I spent taking Dagenham & Redbridge from the Conference to becoming English, European and world champions.

In my opinion, the best FM so far was FM17. My only major gripes with FM17 were the surprisingly regular fluke cross-shots (which, admittedly, were around for quite a while) and the hideous newgen faces. I'm reserving my final judgement on FM19 until after the final patch, but I think that will overtake FM17.

Then we'd all be complaining about fast strikers moving through defenders, as opposed to not moving at all. :brock:

Id take unbalanced but fun to watch/play over unbalanced and boring to watch/play, all day, everyday  :')

I started with the first Domark game came out, whenever that was. I seem to recall a game called Football Director was around about the same time and one called Ultimate Soccer, I think. There were one or two others as well.

I've got everyone of the various Football Manager games and FM 19 is my current one. I'm now 77 years old and still at it.

FM19 is the first version I have bought since FM12 and I'm really not liking it.

Seeing all the positive ratings about FM17 here I was thinking about having a look at it, but I can't seem to find it on steam for purchase. Can anyone point me in the right direction for where I can purchase an official/legit version of FM17? 

Cheers (and apologies if this is not the best place to ask...couldn't find anywhere more suitable).