What Does This Mean?

I'm confused by the player reactions following my press conference. We lost, and I said we did poorly. Bellanova wants to prove me wrong. I would think this means he is angry and fired up in a positive way, but the red thumbs down makes it seem like a bad thing? He wants to prove I was wrong about us playing badly in a 5-1 loss? Is he going to play so badly that that result becomes a comparatively positive performance? Very unclear. And then the other guy is just "pleased" by my comments. Is he happy we did badly? All of this should be rephrased...

image.png

You can't take everything at face value - there's a bit of subtlety to player reactions. I certainly take both of those as positives. Nordvelt is probably happy that you 'told it like it is', delivering a kick up the backside to underperforming players. Bellanova perhaps thinks he played better than you suggest but either way he's going to try even harder next match to prove you wrong. Great!

To misquote the old saying, you can please some of your players all of the time, and you can please all of your players some of the time, but you can't please all of your players all of the time. Don't chase green reactions all the time. You get paid to win, not to massage bruised egos.

1 minute ago, Weston said:

Everything both of you said is reasonable. I just wish the game did a better job representing and communicating these complex nuances of personality, etc.

Have you ever given a team talk? Red is morale going down, green is morale increasing. It still doesn't mean it's good or bad.

Morale is not the same as motivation, u can have low morale but be motivated to do it better, he got angry due to "le gasp! how dare u saying i play poorly! i'll show u you are wrong in the next match" +motivation due to challenging himself to do it better -morale due to being angry/down by your words

then again, motivation is not really a stat, i'll say it just makes a player get out of a slump earlier

So if the player was motivated to do better but also felt sad and had a decrease in morale perhaps there needs to be more clarity as to what morale actually means because it seems to imply to me that higher morale means the player would be more motivated to do well and vice versa. Of course, high morale players can become complacent, so maybe there needs to be a separate motivation measure? Just seems weird that I successfully motivated my player to do well and the only measurable metric in the game shows that I demoralized him, which by all accounts is a negative both in perception and, as far as I know, the actual results.

Just now, Weston said:

So if the player was motivated to do better but also felt sad and had a decrease in morale perhaps there needs to be more clarity as to what morale actually means because it seems to imply to me that higher morale means the player would be more motivated to do well and vice versa. Of course, high morale players can become complacent, so maybe there needs to be a separate motivation measure? Just seems weird that I successfully motivated my player to do well and the only measurable metric in the game shows that I demoralized him, which by all accounts is a negative both in perception and, as far as I know, the actual results.

You don't need clarity? Morale is what it is. Motivation is being motivated. It's already separate. You can already see this in-game when looking at assistant manager's team talk feedback. These things shouldn't need to be spoon fed. It's been there for many versions and it's easily possible to see.

• 3 weeks later...

So what is the explanation behind this seemingly incongruent reaction? He's willingly getting involved and feeling positive about it, yet upset that there is this press speculation in the first place?

image.png

1 minute ago, Kewell_Beans said:

Could it be that his reaction is negative towards his own club/situation, as your comments have succeeded in unsettling him?

He's a free agent who's been on trial with me for 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, Kewell_Beans said:

In that case Hunt3r's reply makes more sense.

Had you offered a permanent contract prior to that press conference?

Yes I had and then a bunch of other clubs did as well so I set him as my top target and started praising him in the press to help turn the tide towards my own offer.

Archived