STEAM activation and sales tonight

Hi,

Just to clear up the issue on activating vs purchasing through STEAM.

STEAM is a retailer and also being used to activate / authenticate the game as well as delivering patches automatically.

Those that have physical copies of the game already because their preorders have arrived (and they shouldn't really have them) can, as of about 7pm tonight GMT, activate through STEAM or Uniloc and play the game as the servers have been turned on.

STEAM is also a retailer and those that have bought the game through them will have it "delivered" from midnight tonight GMT, as that is the release date. They are holding to that release date as a responsible retailer. So STEAM purchasers, like those purchasing from shops opening or stocking the game from midnight, will be able to play from then.

Apologies for the feeling of unfairness, that's why we want retailers to stick to the streetdate. For those of you who purchased through STEAM you will get the game from 00:01 on release date, which is as early as you really should.

Thanks

Ben

Thanks for the response.....but as a 'responsible retailer' why are STEAM allowing activation then?

That just seems really contradictary, SI/SEGA have given in again!

^^^ He knows what I'm talking about :) ^^^

I prompted a call to allow ESD (Steam Pre-Load) Activations - too many people were being denied the right to play. Retail went early and it left a bad taste for everybody - this is just trying to level the playing field.

Hope everybody understands

I don't get it. Why are you letting people play already? What happened to the "we're not letting you activate until release day, to be fair to honest retailers" approach? Releasing the patch tonight is fine, so people can download it, and install it as soon as they get the game tomorrow, but I don't understand this sudden change of heart about activation?

Thanks for the heads up :)

"holding to that release date as a responsible retailer" should be put in bold characters :).

Not that, as gamers and regular customers, we complain about getting the product earlier, which is great, but when processes like software authentication are involved, it's a matter of respect on the retailer's part.

2 hours and 11 minutes to go :)

I honestly dont have a problem waiting till tonight/tomorrow, its that i paid extra to purchase it though STEAM, thinking that it was the best way to get the game. But now people who have paid up to £12 less are already being allowed to play it, this is the first time ive used STEAM and i really dont think i will be doing so again after this.

I don't get it. Why are you letting people play already? What happened to the "we're not letting you activate until release day, to be fair to honest retailers" approach? Releasing the patch tonight is fine, so people can download it, and install it as soon as they get the game tomorrow, but I don't understand this sudden change of heart about activation?

couldnt agree more surely the only way the activation should have been allowed now would be if steam allowed the game to go out at the same time an absolute disgrace to think this has been promoted as the best option yet the people like me who take this option get shafted.

very dissapointing

but most of the counters say 1 day 1 hour to unlock on steam

can u make sure steam does unlock at midnight

or will sega give us our money back

am fed up with steam

don t answer e mails basically ignore the customer

but they are your partner

How about using some sentences and actual words? How about reading official announcements rather than asking why does it say 1 day 1 hour? How about going to bed for a couple of hours, because it must be your bed time, based on your last couple of posts.

Thanks for the response.....but as a 'responsible retailer' why are STEAM allowing activation then?

That just seems really contradictary, SI/SEGA have given in again!

^^^ He knows what I'm talking about :) ^^^

We have always advised retailers to hold the street date, and that is what they are doing. Had everyone done that, noone would be activatting yet as they wouldn't have the game.

Knowing that STEAM and some retailers will be selling from midnight, and that the vast majority of people will be getting copies tomorrow at the earliest, we have activated the servers in good time to make sure things are in place and working for the release. Please also bear in mind that many countries are ahead of the UK in time so it's closer to midnight there than it is here in the UK. In Australia it is the 14th already.

Thanks

Ben

Guys - the problem is the DEFINITION of STEAM...

Steam is part of the DISC product, this has now unlocked.

The Digital Download from Steam has not... it will at 00:00GMT (I promise, or I'll refund you :))

Apologies for the U-Turn - but the complaints were getting out of hand - so we decided to open the flood gates and go early for everybody as it just wasn't fair that some were playing whilst others were not.

Hope that makes sense.

The Digital Download from Steam has not... it will at 00:00GMT (I promise, or I'll refund you :))

Apologies for the U-Turn - but the complaints were getting out of hand - so we decided to open the flood gates and go early for everybody as it just wasn't fair that some were playing whilst others were not.

Hope that makes sense.

well some are playing now and some arent so its still the same situation as us steam downloaders are not able to play

Hope that makes sense.

I understand your decision to allow early activation but it should be for everyone, to allow people who shouldn't have the game to play and activate through steam but not us who pre-ordered and paid a month ago not to is unfair.

In the past when stores have gone early and started selling SI have changed the release date to be fair to everyone. This should happen now. A call from SEGA to Steam is all it would take to allow them to make the game available, I am very pro SI and SEGA and I hope my posts over time have shown this but this is simply wrong. For us to read posts about the game from people who are playing it is very annoying, after all us having to wait until midnight means for those who are at work tomorrow we get an hour of play maybe? Instead of being able to play from 7pm tonight like those who broke the rules!

You say you made the decision to allow early activation because of the complaints you received but what about the complaints from people who followed the recommendation to use Steam and to pre-order. We can't complain to Steam after all, there Support system doesn't make it is easy, or even possible! We are in your hands as you are able to talk to whoever they are!!! I can't even email them!

I understand your decision to allow early activation but it should be for everyone, to allow people who shouldn't have the game to play and activate through steam but not us who pre-ordered and paid a month ago not to is unfair.

In the past when stores have gone early and started selling SI have changed the release date to be fair to everyone. This should happen now. A call from SEGA to Steam is all it would take to allow them to make the game available, I am very pro SI and SEGA and I hope my posts over time have shown this but this is simply wrong. For us to read posts about the game from people who are playing it is very annoying, after all us having to wait until midnight means for those who are at work tomorrow we get an hour of play maybe? Instead of being able to play from 7pm tonight like those who broke the rules!

I appreciate what you are saying, people selling the game early has caused unfairness in the whole situation. But if we let people buy from STEAM now, what about the people that preordered and haven't received their copy in the post because the retailer has held to the release date?

Hi,

Do you have a boxed copy but can't authenticate?

Thanks

Ben

Ben, I have a boxed copy and serial keeps saying "invalid" and it is after 06:00 here in Oz, I am of to work so i will try again later or I guess I will be playing tomorrow (Sat 15th) btw, I have been choosing steam option on install and yes the numbers have been typed in correctly.

I suspect myself and other Aussies are a little annoyed at this but hey, can you guys look into this for us please?

Cheers

numpty01

Ok, I understand the point but if they had the game they could activate it, we have the game pre-loaded and people are using Steam after all to activate. Its not an ideal situation of course but I feel you shouldn't have allowed the Steam servers to activate games if the Steam customers weren't allowed to. For the first time ever I am very very disappointed in SI and SEGA. Of course I am disappointed in Steam aswell but as I say, I can't tell them!

Ben, I have a boxed copy and serial keeps saying "invalid" and it is after 06:00 here in Oz, I am of to work so i will try again later or I guess I will be playing tomorrow (Sat 15th) btw, I have been choosing steam option on install and yes the numbers have been typed in correctly.

I suspect myself and other Aussies are a little annoyed at this but hey, can you guys look into this for us please?

Cheers

numpty01

Hmmm. That shouldn't be the case. Leave it with Murray and I

Thanks

Ben

Cheers

numpty01

You could be entering the key incorrectly, our printers have made the code hard to interpret. Try swapping 0 for O or vice versa.

Why are you 2 Sega guys now ignoring my question?

Sorry Miller6, there are a lot of posts to reply to, not ignoring you.

You have a STEAM copy of the game so, like the STEAM purchasers here, they haven't "served" the game there yet. Once they do you will be able to authenticate and play.

I appreciate what you are saying, people selling the game early has caused unfairness in the whole situation. But if we let people buy from STEAM now, what about the people that preordered and haven't received their copy in the post because the retailer has held to the release date?

To be honest this is a complete joke. Spoke to people in GAME and they have been told that under no circumstanca can they "sell on the fly" as they have in previous years. I return home thinking fair enough well done SI for FINALLY getting this under control only to find STEAM has been activated or at least will be at 00:01.

I would love to know what justification is behind this given that ALL retailers are closed at 00:01, hardly a level playing field is it??

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller6

You have a STEAM copy of the game so, like the STEAM purchasers here, they haven't "served" the game there yet. Once they do you will be able to authenticate and play.

And when will that be for your Australian customers?

I'm a bit upset because we were told by Miles (the other day) and Matt (today) that it would be available 6am Sydney time which was now 2 1/2 hours ago?

Also I have asked about this 3 times over the past few hours and being ignored each time.

Sorry Ben

Just read your reply to me again and realised I read what you said wrong. Of course I understand it would be wrong to allow Steam to sell to new customers when other retailers have kept to the proper time. My point though was that those that have pre-ordered from Steam should have their games unlocked. Steam have done this before on other games but I realise this is a situation for them and not SI's or SEGA's problem

You say you made the decision to allow early activation because of the complaints you received but what about the complaints from people who followed the recommendation to use Steam and to pre-order. We can't complain to Steam after all, there Support system doesn't make it is easy, or even possible! We are in your hands as you are able to talk to whoever they are!!! I can't even email them!

i totally agree, si encourage us to go to steam.....so not only did we pay more!!! but we have to wait even longer to play this game..i paid more to have the privilege to play at midnight, ok i can still do this ( fingers crossed ) but there are players out there that have paid a lot less and are playing that now ( please let me state that is not their fault )

i have always stood by u guys in everything, but for once u really do fell let down.....sorry

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller6

And when will that be for your Australian customers?

I'm a bit upset because we were told by Miles (the other day) and Matt (today) that it would be available 6am Sydney time which was now 2 1/2 hours ago?

Also I have asked about this 3 times over the past few hours and being ignored each time.

Sorry, we are trying to get to all posts, with a few conversations going on in the backgronund between us!

Anyway, all servers for authentication and STEAM sales should now be live for anyone with a Nov 14th release (inc UK and Australia). That means you, as a purchaser through STEAM should now be able to get the game and play it. Enjoy.

Archived