Blisters - 8-10 days red injury

7 hours ago, Snorks said:

I think the injury severity is set by the physio or sports scientist - so not necessarily a case of the player saying no.

And I can see why to a certain extent - can you imagine how much worse it would be if the player played with severe blisters, and ended up with an infection in his feet?

So maybe a bit more information then? I hike alot (like once or twice a week) and I've had blood filled blisters, blisters that made me want to cry and even flesh wounds after walking half a day with blisters. 8-10 days would is extreme, especially considering the resources a modern football club should have medically. And with the right handling (special bandages and such) I've been able to continue walking the day after without much pain.

Am I missing some kind of brutal blistering here that I've simply never experienced?

Sorry, it's a small thing and doesn't really take away anything from the game, but I find it odd that professional football players with and infinite shoe-budget (probably custom made to their feet) could find themselves in a place where suddenly, after a light training session, they have to be away for up to 2 weeks because of something that shouldn't be hard to avoid :D

• Administrators

There have been cases where footballers haven't been able to get their boots on due to blisters and they've had to miss matches, so isn't completely beyond the realms of possibility. 8-10 does seem on the long side personally - but maybe some players are less inclined to play through the pain? Was the player in question out for all those 8-10 days as 'red' injury, or did it become an 'orange' injury a few days in meaning they could be selected? 

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

There have been cases where footballers haven't been able to get their boots on due to blisters and they've had to miss matches, so isn't completely beyond the realms of possibility. 8-10 does seem on the long side personally - but maybe some players are less inclined to play through the pain? Was the player in question out for all those 8-10 days as 'red' injury, or did it become an 'orange' injury a few days in meaning they could be selected? 

Fair enough! This is a player who in general doesn't seem to be very professional, so he might be less inclined to suffer the pain. Have to admit that I can't remember if it turned into an orange injury or not, I've played 1,5 seasons since my original post.

Anyway, won't take up any more forum space, it's seems like it could happen and I guess it was a case of bad luck!

• SI Staff

To add to Neil's point here, I actually initially agreed with this and thought that it seemed extreme, but having then taken that point to an actual football coach we were strongly advised that this is indeed accurate.
We've had first hand experience shared with us of a player being completely unable to train due to blisters. Obviously these aren't just "regular" blisters, but an issue that makes simply moving in footwear painful let alone playing/training.
The injury type is rare (let me know if it is appearing too often), but accurate to reality.

51 minutes ago, Karnack said:

Fair enough! This is a player who in general doesn't seem to be very professional, so he might be less inclined to suffer the pain. Have to admit that I can't remember if it turned into an orange injury or not, I've played 1,5 seasons since my original post.

Anyway, won't take up any more forum space, it's seems like it could happen and I guess it was a case of bad luck!

I guess the game is arbitrarily assigning an injury to a player in lines with the 8-10 days out injured.

The fact that the injury is blisters doesn't really matter, could have easily been given a twisted ankle.

The game has injuries that it can assign and it's just so happens a rare one is assigned to this player. 

Probably not as simplistic as I make it out to be. 

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I guess the game is arbitrarily assigning an injury to a player in lines with the 8-10 days out injured.

The fact that the injury is blisters doesn't really matter, could have easily been given a twisted ankle.

The game has injuries that it can assign and it's just so happens a rare one is assigned to this player. 

Probably not as simplistic as I make it out to be. 

It doesn't quite work that way.

Every injury has a specific timeframe, from minimum to maximum duration, and a likelihood of occurring. Each injury occurs on average X number of times throughout the DB over the course of a set period. We assign these to players according to expected rates, moderated of course by all of the factors that go into injuries, according to how likely it is for that player to suffer that injury at that time. We assign actual injuries, of which duration is built-in (with given variance), rather than assigning 'time out injured' and then matching it to an injury type. 

Just now, Seb Wassell said:

It doesn't quite work that way. Every injury has a specific timeframe, from minimum to maximum duration and a likelihood of occurring. Each injury occurs on average X number of times throughout the DB over the course of a set period. We assign these according to expected rates, moderated of course by all of the factors that go into injuries, to players according to how likely it is for that player to suffer that injury at that time. We assign actual injuries, of which duration is built-in (with given variance), rather than assigning 'time out injured' and then matching it to an injury type. 

Thanks - I was thinking along those lines and knew I didn't quite have it right.

I didn't mean to imply a duration is set and then an injury is assigned to match it - that would be lazy. 
But rather, players get injured for various reasons, and there are a set of injuries that are assigned to players - regardless whether it's blisters or a twisted ankle, the result is the same, they're not selectable.

The way you explained there makes a lot of sense.

It would be great to have bizarre rare events like Canizares who dropped his aftershave and severed a tendon. Or, Beasant had something similar with a Salad Cream he dropped in his kitchen. Richard Wright twisted his ankle on an advertising hoard. Courtois injured his ankle in a basketball promo video. And did a bit of looking on in the Internet for these - Liam Lawrence tripped over his dog and fell down the stairs.

A good would be Rio Ferdinand strained his knee playing a game on his console and was out for some time. A funny line in the game would be a player strained their knee at home playing Football Manager, when asked how it happened the player said he had resting on the coffee table too long - we have all done it (I imagine?)

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It would be great to have bizarre rare events like Canizares who dropped his aftershave and severed a tendon. Or, Beasant had something similar with a Salad Cream he dropped in his kitchen. Richard Wright twisted his ankle on an advertising hoard. Courtois injured his ankle in a basketball promo video. And did a bit of looking on in the Internet for these - Liam Lawrence tripped over his dog and fell down the stairs.

A good would be Rio Ferdinand strained his knee playing a game on his console and was out for some time. A funny line in the game would be a player strained their knee at home playing Football Manager, when asked how it happened the player said he had resting on the coffee table too long - we have all done it (I imagine?)

This is all actually in there already, but it is rare and only available for Newgens.

My favourite is a wrist ligament injury from too much Football Manager.

1 minute ago, Seb Wassell said:

This is all actually in there already, but it is rare and only available for Newgens.

My favourite is a wrist ligament injury from too much Football Manager.

Ha - that's brilliant!!! 

Fatigue from being up all night playing FM would be awesome too.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Thanks - I was thinking along those lines and knew I didn't quite have it right.

I didn't mean to imply a duration is set and then an injury is assigned to match it - that would be lazy. 
But rather, players get injured for various reasons, and there are a set of injuries that are assigned to players - regardless whether it's blisters or a twisted ankle, the result is the same, they're not selectable.

The way you explained there makes a lot of sense.

And Charlie George cut one of his toes off mowing the lawn

9 hours ago, Smurf said:

Darius Vassell trying to drain a blister with an electric drill comes to mind too

To be fair, my daughter got a huge blister that was a real problem for a good couple of weeks - she plays Underwater Hockey and using the fins over the blister was agony for the first week, improving slowly for the second week. 

No way she was training 2-sessions a day, four days a week plus a  match so yeah, I can see a blister taking 8-10 days before a player is able to go through the workload of a professional footballer.

58 minutes ago, Snorks said:

To be fair, my daughter got a huge blister that was a real problem for a good couple of weeks - she plays Underwater Hockey and using the fins over the blister was agony for the first week, improving slowly for the second week. 

No way she was training 2-sessions a day, four days a week plus a  match so yeah, I can see a blister taking 8-10 days before a player is able to go through the workload of a professional footballer.

Had to Google that....

Octopush :)
Nice

45 minutes ago, Able.Ryder said:

Had to Google that....

Octopush :)
Nice

Yeah, was originally Octopush, came out of a BSAC club in East London I believe.

Is now an international sport and pretty popular over here. She was never that into sports until she went to try-out-the-sport night at the local pool. Now, at 15yrs old, is on the verge of the New Zealand u19 team for the Worlds this year. 

It's in Sheffield - so wife and I slipping money aside just in case. Good excuse to come home for a visit. Could scout some of the players I've been tracking on Football Manager!

She has been playing now for three years, I have driven and flown all over the country to her tournaments, taken her to the pool for trainings three or four times a week been at every tournament she has ever played but never actually been able to see her play! It is the very opposite of a 'spectator sport'.

Still, plenty of FM time with the lappy waiting for her to finish.

13 hours ago, Snorks said:

Yeah, was originally Octopush, came out of a BSAC club in East London I believe.

Is now an international sport and pretty popular over here. She was never that into sports until she went to try-out-the-sport night at the local pool. Now, at 15yrs old, is on the verge of the New Zealand u19 team for the Worlds this year. 

It's in Sheffield - so wife and I slipping money aside just in case. Good excuse to come home for a visit. Could scout some of the players I've been tracking on Football Manager!

She has been playing now for three years, I have driven and flown all over the country to her tournaments, taken her to the pool for trainings three or four times a week been at every tournament she has ever played but never actually been able to see her play! It is the very opposite of a 'spectator sport'.

Still, plenty of FM time with the lappy waiting for her to finish.

Good news here is you can play FM :)

Anyway, looks like your daughter has some promising attributes; I'm sending an "Encourage" shout from here and I hope you can see the pool in Sheffield.

Getting back to the topic, I almost forgot the blisters my friend got at his wedding last summer.
I'm not artist (don't get fooled by the drawing), but here's how it looked like:

image.thumb.png.e3346da6c758f9f96e2fc7948733f1a9.png

Yes, it was that big and for a week or so he was unable to wear anything apart from flip-flops.

So, in some cases, 8 to 10 days being _red_ injured with blisters does not sound so extreme.

I can confirm, through my experiences in the Army, that blisters can indeed be very serious injuries that will definitely keep you out of action for a few weeks, especially when the main tool of your trade is your feet. Here's some pictures for you (not mine) that are quite bad. I've seen worse too. Not sure how a footballer would get them this badly, but all it takes is one pair of badly fitted boots.

NSFW

Spoiler

1BH445x302.jpg

blisters-3.jpg

phot3.jpg

z69YZ0v.jpg

Last season Marco Asensio missed a game because of an ingrown hair from shaving his legs. It got infected and prevented him from pulling up his socks. 

----

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and holy cow man, no one needs to see that!!! A simple "yes, blisters can be bad" would've sufficed. 

I think the seriousness of blisters for a footballer is not to be underestimated. It would stop you playing, and doing any kind of high intensity training.

The reason for this is that when you sprint, the vertical forces generated by your body, against the ground, and then back up through you (Newtons 3rd law), are 5 times your body weight. This is significantly bigger than for distance running (though that is still high), and I would suspect far in excess of walking / hiking, where you have much more control of those forces i.e. you can walk more gently (but that'll be cumulative impact). In football, you have to do loads of high intensity sprints so the overall effect would be much greater than, say, an Olympic sprinter.

I'll link a couple of videos below. The first is just 2 mins, you only need to see the first minute. The 2nd is a BBC documentary on sprinting prior to London 2012.

In video below, the reference to forces on the foot is at 34:05, its less than the estimate above, but still large i.e. 2.5 times your body weight, 5 times per second. It'll more likely be less for football, but still large and regular.

So, it'd be agony, and would completely compromise your ability to be effective on the pitch.

Edited by Lord Rowell
Added extra detail

As for bizarre injuries, an American baseball player a few years ago.had a nightmare about.spiders of which he was deathly afraid, and started running in his sleep and crashed into a mirror. another player pulled a muscle.in his neck by sneezing.

• SI Staff
On 07/02/2019 at 10:01, Domathon said:

ive currently got a 17 year old out for 3 months with a blood clot, hes not jamaican either , ear me now as they say?

18 hours ago, Snorks said:

Blood clots can be life-threatening.

Very much so. They are exceptionally rare in game but can keep a player out for a while when they do occur. Blood clots in athletes are often the result of impact rather than poor health.

I know consensus has been reached here, but I just wanted to add a little story.

I worked with a woman who came in to work one day wincing in pain. She had stepped on an errant Lego brick left behind by her young nephew. This developed into a pretty nasty blister, which she ignored, figuring it would eventually get better.

Long story short, 6 months later, she had to have about 1 square inch of flesh and a sliver of bone removed because the ensuing infection had caused necrosis. If she had gotten the blister treated and taken a week off work, she would have been fine. Instead, she missed about 3 months over the course of a year.