Sports Interactive Community
hellbatty

I don't understand what difference

As you can see on screenshot my player natural in both ML and AML, have same role in both, same attributes to perform at best, but ML circle filled only on two thirds, while AML full, It makes me wonder if perhaps there's a reason for such  difference

wtf.png

Don't pay too much attention to what the circle suggests. In order to assess how good (in general) a player would be in a certain role, look at his attributes (and traits).

Of course, when creating a tactic, you need to consider a lot more elements, because a player can play poorly even when he's given an "ideal" role if the rest of the tactic is set in a wrong way (e.g. other roles, duties, TIs etc.)

I asked this same question to an SI employee on the official feedback thread.  Maybe we'll get an answer.  It is pretty confusing.  Makes you think "natural" doesn't necessarily mean "natural".

Just got an answer.  It's because "natural" doesn't mean 20/20 positional familiarity.  You can be 18/20 and still get the bright green familiarity color.

59 минут назад, jujigatame сказал:

Just got an answer.  It's because "natural" doesn't mean 20/20 positional familiarity.  You can be 18/20 and still get the bright green familiarity color.

Well, he natural for two almost two years and keep trained and played as ML, so I guess 20/20 impossible to reach ?

15 minutes ago, hellbatty said:

Well, he natural for two almost two years and keep trained and played as ML, so I guess 20/20 impossible to reach ?

Not impossible, but some players will find it harder to reach than others and it makes only a marginal difference anyway.

Positional familiarity is one of those things that may be used as a guide, not a hard and fast rule.  If the player has the attributes for it then that's the most important thing.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Not impossible, but some players will find it harder to reach than others and it makes only a marginal difference anyway.

Positional familiarity is one of those things that may be used as a guide, not a hard and fast rule.  If the player has the attributes for it then that's the most important thing.

The problem is that the game kind of suggests otherwise by factoring it very heavily in that role suitability colored circle thing.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

The problem is that the game kind of suggests otherwise by factoring it very heavily in that role suitability colored circle thing.

Think of Valencia and Ashley Young at Man Utd. Both started as singers IRL but have been converted as full backs. They can still play as singers as there natural position but in screen shows as orange, ignore to an extent the coloured circles. 

The circle can be really misleading, especially considering that in the old games, a similar color scale would indicate that you absolutely should not play a player in that position -- in a lot of recent saves, I've had players with red slivers in the circle and the position not showing up on their chart at all and they still had decent-to-great performances because their attributes and PPMs fit with what I had set that position to do. Rethinking the visual indications that they're using for position might be a good improvement for future versions.

Edited by scratchmonkey

20 hours ago, scratchmonkey said:

The circle can be really misleading, especially considering that in the old games, a similar color scale would indicate that you absolutely should not play a player in that position -- in a lot of recent saves, I've had players with red slivers in the circle and the position not showing up on their chart at all and they still had decent-to-great performances because their attributes and PPMs fit with what I had set that position to do. Rethinking the visual indications that they're using for position might be a good improvement for future versions.

Log a Feature Request here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/  :thup:

Whilst positional familiarity is nice

It isn't totally necessary.

Due to budget constraints and injuries I had to play a DC in the ST position for several matches.

Whilst his off-the ball and finishing & passing were bad, his heading, strength and jumping attributes were good (for his division)

I gave him the TM role and used 2 wingers instructed to float in crosses

He scored several goals in nearly a dozen games and carried the squad through a crisis.

And yes, he complained about being played out of position, so it's not all roses and rainbows :D

6 minutes ago, RodentofDoom said:

Due to budget constraints and injuries I had to play a DC in the ST position for several matches

Well, that's still a lot better than if the case was opposite (i.e. ST playing as a DC) :D :brock:

2 hours ago, RodentofDoom said:

Whilst positional familiarity is nice

It isn't totally necessary.

Due to budget constraints and injuries I had to play a DC in the ST position for several matches.

Whilst his off-the ball and finishing & passing were bad, his heading, strength and jumping attributes were good (for his division)

I gave him the TM role and used 2 wingers instructed to float in crosses

He scored several goals in nearly a dozen games and carried the squad through a crisis.

And yes, he complained about being played out of position, so it's not all roses and rainbows :D

This must be a bug - there can't be a centre back in the world who wouldn't love to have a stint up front :lol:

Edited by wattzy

in a old CM, at Milan i have all main right wingers out so, looking at stats i found that my Goalkeeper have pace, acce, cross, dribbling and tecnique at 20, so i play him as winger, but he didn't work. so i had to pick up a young from u19, with lower attributes, Fabio Paim....and that is another story,

Edited by FlorianAlbert9