Perfectionist With Low Work Rate?

I'm a big confused how a player can be a perfectionist that "constantly strives for improvement" but also has terrible work rate, or "willingness to work to his full capacity." Does this mean he's going to have a good chance to developing into a solid player or not? I assume there is some nuance I'm missing because otherwise this seems like a contradiction.

image.png

image.png

When I saw this title I assumed someone was objecting to Cristiano Ronaldo's attributes (he was Perfectionist on FM18, don't know about the current one).

It makes perfect sense - their personality means they'll devote themselves to improving relevant parts of their game. For an attacker, goalkeeper or perhaps even CB you could argue Work Rate isn't that important so why would they work on it?

So work rate ONLY applies to how much energy they expend on the pitch, it doesn't have anything to do with their overall drive? All of this really should be made more clear. Determination is both on-pitch and off-pitch, but work rate is just on-pitch?

1 minute ago, Weston said:

So work rate ONLY applies to how much energy they expend on the pitch, it doesn't have anything to do with their overall drive? All of this really should be made more clear. Determination is both on-pitch and off-pitch, but work rate is just on-pitch?

It is fairly clear in the manual, isn't it? The manual specifically mentions Determination being active on and off the pitch.

Determination

A commitment to succeed both on and off the pitch. A determined player will give everything in order to win. This ties in with Bravery – players with a high attribute in one of these attributes may also be high in the other as the traits necessary are similar.

Work Rate

This reflects the player’s mental drive to work to his full capacities. A high rating will ensure a player wants to work his socks off from start to finish, but he will need the necessary physical attributes to actually be able to pull it off. It does not merely represent a willingness to run – something that would be inappropriate in many positions – but rather the urgency with which a player gets to where they’re supposed to be in all situations.

• SI Staff

Mostly covered above, but to confirm:

Work Rate
On-pitch only
Describes the work they put in on the pitch.
Not linked to development.

Determination
Both on- and off-pitch
Describes their drive to succeed both on and off the pitch.
Essential to development.

A player could work incredibly hard on improving themselves as a player and have a burning desire to succeed, but actually have quite a 'lazy' style on the pitch itself. Personality vs. on-pitch characteristics.

18 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Mostly covered above, but to confirm:

Work Rate
On-pitch only
Describes the work they put in on the pitch.
Not linked to development.

Determination
Both on- and off-pitch
Describes their drive to succeed both on and off the pitch.
Essential to development.

A player could work incredibly hard on improving themselves as a player and have a burning desire to succeed, but actually have quite a 'lazy' style on the pitch itself. Personality vs. on-pitch characteristics.

I know that you're correct (obviously) with what you have said but this is an area of the game that bugs me and could still be improved. I'm sorry but for a player to have a "Perfectionist" personality but only 6 work rate is a big contradiction. I'm a Perfectionist myself because I always want to be the best I possibly can be at anything I do. As a result, I always give everything I've got. Trust me, if I was a professional footballer then my work rate would not be down at 6. Why would it be? The last place I'm going to down tools is the one where I most need them. 

This is just 1 example. I've seen many more where a couple of bits of information on a player have left me baffled because they pretty much are polar opposite. I do understand making everything 100% logical when it comes to regens is an almost impossible job though. 

38 minutes ago, Things Could Get Messi said:

I know that you're correct (obviously) with what you have said but this is an area of the game that bugs me and could still be improved. I'm sorry but for a player to have a "Perfectionist" personality but only 6 work rate is a big contradiction. I'm a Perfectionist myself because I always want to be the best I possibly can be at anything I do. As a result, I always give everything I've got. Trust me, if I was a professional footballer then my work rate would not be down at 6. Why would it be? The last place I'm going to down tools is the one where I most need them. 

This is just 1 example. I've seen many more where a couple of bits of information on a player have left me baffled because they pretty much are polar opposite. I do understand making everything 100% logical when it comes to regens is an almost impossible job though. 

In the game, Ronaldo is a Perfectionist (quickly googling him) and he has 8 for Work Rate. There are examples in the real world of this. Ronaldo isn't going to run everywhere, closing people down etc. He conserves the energy to rather focus on doing (as flawlessly as possible) what he does well.

I wonder if maybe "work rate" should be renamed something like "intensity" so it more clearly relates to the style of play and not the drive to succeed if the drive to succeed can coexist with a less intense playing style.

Archived