Sports Interactive Community
optimusprimal82

The Mentality Masterplan and some FM basics revisited...

Great work! well written, really informative and brilliantly laid out. Thanks mate 👍

Nicely done good sir! Always great to see stuff like this posted on here. 

Thanks all, glad it's been of some use!

If enough people find it useful I'll maybe look into a more 'permanent' home for it in the future so people can find/reference it easily, if anyone has any suggestions (others FM sites etc) then by all means shout up.

Likewise, if anyone spots any glaring errors/embarrassing typo's then I'll happily retro-fix them too! :)

Edited by optimusprimal82
Autocorrect, obviously.

Great work.

Very useful for newbies...... and oldies like me!

Big fan of personality based recruitment, players and staff.

Edited by Mr U Rosler

Top content, thank you for your dedication.

Looking forward to this evening to test the mentality masterplan.

Excellent work - this should be the go to thread for anytime one of those moaning threads about how the game is screwing them over is started. 

Cheers, a well presented, easy to follow guide.

Very useful for all players. I like the demystifying of some of the terminology, again makes it clear and precise.

Great use of charts/bars/tips and such like.

Thank you very much. 

Just downloaded it to desktop..easy reference doc.

:)

Edited by Kazza

6 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

please post a link

Happy to help, but a link to what specifically? The files are right there in the first post - unless they're not showing up on your device? You can save them directly from those though if you'd prefer to read offline etc?

10 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Happy to help, but a link to what specifically? The files are right there in the first post - unless they're not showing up on your device? You can save them directly from those though if you'd prefer to read offline etc?

Thanks

I converted the pics into a .pdf, for those who find that easier (i somehow managed to mess up so there is one blank extra page at the end :D).
I hope it's alright with OP. If not, just let me know and i'll take it away.

Team Building 101.pdf

This is tremendous.

I played a lot of FM12 back at university and had that mainly cracked. I have struggled at FM19 as there are a lot of changes so this is helpful to say the least. 

Out of curiosity is there any reason you've done this or is it just purely to help people out?  

11 hours ago, roykela said:

I converted the pics into a .pdf, for those who find that easier (i somehow managed to mess up so there is one blank extra page at the end :D).
I hope it's alright with OP. If not, just let me know and i'll take it away.

Team Building 101.pdf

Yep, absolutely no problem - should have probably done it myself in the first place, but was so glad to get them finished I didn't even bother making them a uniform page size etc - got a few minor corrections/improvements to make based on suggestions/feedback (none to the main masterplan itself - so far!) so when i get to making them and republish i'll make sure i have a pdf version available too! :)

10 hours ago, safcgowland said:

This is tremendous.

I played a lot of FM12 back at university and had that mainly cracked. I have struggled at FM19 as there are a lot of changes so this is helpful to say the least. 

Out of curiosity is there any reason you've done this or is it just purely to help people out?  

Thank you! :) 

Ha, I was asking myself the same question a few nights back when getting the logic down for CP's 3 & 4!! :D

It all started just from talking to a pal who was (continuously) really struggling with conceding late goals and couldn't understand why his 'should be world beating side' changed to 'very defensive' couldn't keep the likes of Fulham & Cardiff at bay. It escalated quickly, with another friend taking umbridge that I was helping one and not the other; he was in an even worse position and when i looked at his save file it was obvious he had a bigger problem with recruitment; convinced he had a team of world beaters, 3rd year in he was getting progressively worse as he bought every young talent - blew his mind when i told him the 'wonderkid' part (players with amazing potential, but not always the full required current ability), he'd sold off some big names to fund his spree too so had weakened himself considerably, especially as a a lot of his new signings had really dodgy personalities as a bonus!

From there it spread to these forums, helping a few guys out in threads and over PM's, to Discord and the like - obviously tactics continue to be a black hole for a lot of people, but there's so many threads/resources/experts to help with those, but came to the conclusion is it always necessarily the tactics? Even with a great tactic set - or a downloaded one proven to work - people still struggle to get results which suggests more of an issue with game management than whether their striker should be an F9 or not - this was just a way to suggest other things they should tinker with. I started sending 'logic sketches' to try and get some of my points across as it's difficult to explain simply with text so when a few people suggested drawing it up properly I decided to go for it, unaware of what i was letting myself in for when looking at the logic for an entire match! :) 

Early concept - renamed to CP1 (complete with disgusting drink stain and spillage for authenticity);

masterplan_original.thumb.jpg.6f14d7d6fc65704df1c6c293cd89cd82.jpg

Fwiw, I think the way the opposition can far too often find a route back into the game is more than a little iffy, but when taken to pieces and studied now like I have, it makes more sense and has become much MUCH easier for me to nullify, such that I rarely concede if I can take the lead (penalties and free kicks aside - my 'best' DM is unfortunately not the best when it comes to avoiding fouls, having more than a touch of the Fellaini's about him!). Not saying it's infallible, indeed I've struggled in the last half a season in my save because the quality of my players just isn't there to dominate (promoted 3 times in consecutive years) relegated premier league teams (Leeds spent 18 million in the Jan xfer window, my season budget was 1.2 million!), but i've still wielded it effectively enough that we've won PL promotion against all odds (and a healthy leverage of the loan system!). Realistic? Perhaps not, but challenging and rewarding all the same, especially when you have a Mike Ashley equivalent running your club who sells 2-3 of your best players each year and gives you peanuts in return! :D 

1 hour ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Yep, absolutely no problem - should have probably done it myself in the first place, but was so glad to get them finished I didn't even bother making them a uniform page size etc - got a few minor corrections/improvements to make based on suggestions/feedback (none to the main masterplan itself - so far!) so when i get to making them and republish i'll make sure i have a pdf version available too! :)

I know what you mean. I'm pretty much the same when i get done with stuff/projects :D
I'll keep my eyes on it and remove my post when you update yours, with the pdf version.
Amazing work, by the way. Absolutely brilliant :thup: :)

@optimusprimal82 this is an absolutely fantastic resource mate. Massive respect to you for the time and effort put in and the awesome presentation of what can be detailed and complicated information.

A great resource for newbies and reference for oldies like me.

Some of you may have already seen this but just found this 'personality' guide by @gossy7 - right here on these very forums -  which compliments the 'buying' sheet perfectly for anyone interested in that sort of thing!

Forum thread is here, or if you'd like to skip the middle man, the direct link (leaves SI and goes to Steam forums) is here.

@optimusprimal82 this is brilliant. I've been trying this out.

Two questions:

1. there is a loop on the 12-15 minutes section of the flow diagram:

• Are you more than 5-10% better of in possession? - No
  • If the opposition has a possession majority, is it more than 10%? - No
  • Wait 5 minutes and check again

Can you just clarify this? Are you looping this until the 35-40 min mark?

2. A response to certain situations you instruct to go to the Control tactic on Cautious and then later on in the flow it states to go up one in mentality or even Very Attacking would this be applicable to if you're already on your control tactic or would you switch back to the Core Tactic to do this?

@djpdavey No worries, glad it helps! :)

To answer your questions;

1.) Yes, kind of. I don't like playing almost an entire half on cautious/starting mentality but i will if i don't feel comfortable enough to change up. What i'm finding with a lot of people using the plan is that possession isn't maybe the best indicator with some tactics (more direct/higher through balls) so you can use the shot counter to better gauge (although keep possession in mind). If the AI has 2-3 shots in succession I hear alarm bells and change down/up accordingly. I am very much from the school of "don't change unless you need to" but this can bite you if you don't change soon enough - the longer you adopt the approach though the better you get at judging (although inevitably you will still mess it up now and then!).

2.) I assume this is if you're drawing/losing late on? Let me know which particular part of the masterplan it's on if it's vague and i'll see if i can tighten it up - what my general rule of thumb is assessing whether i'm on top or the opposition is (shot counter method as mentioned above). If it's me and i'm significantly on top i may well change back up to BASE, but then that's quite a jump from CTRL/Cautious so i'd have to assume if you were that far down the mentality scale you were/had been under the pump a little (unless i've got a logic step massively wrong) in which case i'd consider going very attacking on CTRL - it's less attacking overall than BASE, but should still be effective and keep FB's back a little to prevent leakage.

Absolutely no need to download/use the tactics - this methodology should work for any tactics etc - but i wrote a thread with the tactic sets I use and (more pertinent for you) examples/test cases of when I change up/down. I also introduced another step (I call it CTRLCNTR) in between BASE and CTRL as I sometimes find the gulf too big and it means my BASE can be really offensive to get me a couple of goals lead and then I have two control variants - one more tailored to attack, one more to defense. Link below - hope it's of some use! :)

Lastly, anyone playing the beta may be interested to note that the AI actually seems a little less aggressive in terms of comebacks (although i've only played 13 matches so far so a small sample size). Still assessing what that means in terms of the masterplan but i'm finding I don't have to be quite so cautious, although i'm still observing the checkpoints/timing strictly as they're still business as usual.

Edited by optimusprimal82

On 16/02/2019 at 11:25, optimusprimal82 said:

I assume this is if you're drawing/losing late on? Let me know which particular part of the masterplan it's on if it's vague and i'll see if i can tighten it up - what my general rule of thumb is assessing whether i'm on top or the opposition is (shot counter method as mentioned above). If it's me and i'm significantly on top i may well change back up to BASE, but then that's quite a jump from CTRL/Cautious so i'd have to assume if you were that far down the mentality scale you were/had been under the pump a little (unless i've got a logic step massively wrong) in which case i'd consider going very attacking on CTRL - it's less attacking overall than BASE, but should still be effective and keep FB's back a little to prevent leakage.

Thanks that answer the question. I've been switching back to CORE to go Very Attacking which I can see is wrong. Instead I should being doing as your answer states. Thanks!

I'm using my own 4-1-2-3 tactic not a downloaded one. Your illustrations has made me realise that my team (promoted last season) did not yet have the quality depth to get promoted again. I was leading the league until the last 5 games when I fell away into the playoffs of the Vanarama National and lost in the playoffs when the 2 CM's were in dire need of a rest, I needed a better AML and a better backup left Fullback.

In pre-season now, much happier with the depth of squad.

Started a new season, Game plan was ready. Cautious mentality. 60% Possession, Even Shots, 80% Pass completion.

Then this happens:

My Centre Back lobs my goal keeper Ronaldinho-Seaman Style Ended up losing 2-0 because I was the chasing and tried to push for the equaliser.

No fault of the guide just thought it was funny enough to share!

One of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

Certainly given me some new things to think about.

On 22/02/2019 at 01:56, gunner86 said:

One of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

Certainly given me some new things to think about.

Thank you - glad it may help even if only a little! :) 

@optimusprimal82

Thanks so much for your advice shared throughout the forum. 

I'd have one request or suggestion if I may: to write more concisely, if possible, more to the point. Less words.

3 hours ago, phd_angel said:

@optimusprimal82

Thanks so much for your advice shared throughout the forum. 

I'd have one request or suggestion if I may: to write more concisely, if possible, more to the point. Less words.

I think it really depends on who his core audience is, some people may appreciate him taking the time to explain stuff and this could be an audience who don't really understand a lot of the basics.