Sports Interactive Community
Weston

Possible Transfer/Contract Bug?

I have a player who is on a drastically underpaid contract - he was just crowned top Serie A scorer and is only on 300k a week - and during that season he seemed to want a new deal. But at the time budget was tight so I had my captain talk him out of it. Later, when I got more money, I went to offer him the contract he wanted, but now he refuses to open talks because he says our club isn't big enough for his ambitions. But when Juventus, Roma, PSG, etc., offered to sign him, he was not interested in joining them, and I rejected the offers to no complaints from the player. On the "offer to clubs" page it even says he would be unsettled if offered to other clubs. He is "very close" to me and lists me as a favorite person.

So what gives? These seem like mutually exclusive things. Either he wants to go to a bigger club, or he wants to stay here, but I'm getting curiously mixed signals. If he's not interested in leaving, why can't I give him a new deal? I'm worried he will eventually leave for a hugely undervalued sum because of how pathetically small his contract is, or worse, leave on a free in two years, especially with a similar player recently just going for over 100 million. It's also worth noting I've massively improved the squad over the summer since he first said we weren't high enough quality, so I was really hoping this would change things, but it does not seem to have made a difference.

I've uploaded a save titled "BARI 2022-23 PRESEASON III." The player is Giacomo Fazio.

Hi @Weston

Thanks for the info and save :thup:

The player is not actively looking to leave your club, but doesn't see his long term future there, hence not negotiating a new deal or pushing for a transfer.

If you were to an accept an offer for him, he would be happy to sign for another team, but he won't agitate to make it happen.

Thanks,

Andrew

2 hours ago, Andrew James said:

Hi @Weston

Thanks for the info and save :thup:

The player is not actively looking to leave your club, but doesn't see his long term future there, hence not negotiating a new deal or pushing for a transfer.

If you were to an accept an offer for him, he would be happy to sign for another team, but he won't agitate to make it happen.

Thanks,

Andrew

So is he just going to leave on a free in two years..? That seems like a long period of time to plan ahead for, and it also seems rather unfair when, if he wants to leave in two seasons, he could make me promise to let him leave at that time before signing a new contract at a fair wage until then and allow the club to earn a transfer fee when he goes. Is it possible to strengthen my team or reach some goal to make him change his mind? I mean, we're in the Champions League...

And how do you know he would happily sign for another team if I accept a deal? It said he's not interested in joining Juventus when that deal came in, and it said he would "take some convincing" to join Roma when that offer came in. It all seems very unclear...

Hi Weston,

I had a go at offering him out and he was willing to sign for Dortmund. If he wasn't willing to sign for Juventus, that does sound a bit conflicted so if you have a save from before that bid came in could you upload it please?

If you do decide against selling him now, you may be able to change his mind and get him to sign a new deal in the future if you can convince him of the club's progress, but this would run the risk of losing him for a lower amount.

Cheers,

Andrew

2 hours ago, Andrew James said:

Hi Weston,

I had a go at offering him out and he was willing to sign for Dortmund. If he wasn't willing to sign for Juventus, that does sound a bit conflicted so if you have a save from before that bid came in could you upload it please?

If you do decide against selling him now, you may be able to change his mind and get him to sign a new deal in the future if you can convince him of the club's progress, but this would run the risk of losing him for a lower amount.

Cheers,

Andrew

I just don't know how to convince him of the club's progress when I can't open a dialogue with a promise. Normally you can say "if we don't qualify for the champions league you can leave" or something to that effect. I've brought in some very strong players and players with higher reputations but it didn't seem to move the needle any. I guess I'm just hoping he just arbitrarily changes his mind in a few months, but if not I'll be forced to sell him in a season to keep him from leaving on a free but because I can't increase his wage his value remains way, way low. A comparable player just went for over 100 million but this guy, the top scorer in Serie A at 19 despite missing much of the season through injury, only commands offers in the 20s...

Shouldn't I be able to say, hey you're not trying to leave now, but you don't want to extend past the two seasons left. Can we at least increase your wages for the remaining two years? No way he wouldn't be angling for an increase anyway.

Anyway, I've uploaded the two previous saves I have, which are titled "BARI 2022-23 PRESEASON II" and "last save overwrite backup (WP)."

So I've again upgraded the quality of players at the club and he still shows no signs of being satisfied, yet as there is no dialogue or ability to make a promise there seems to be no chance at changing his mind or even understanding what the parameters for his decision are. i'm just baffled that a player can go on like this for a year without any indication of wanting to leave or wanting to stay, just not wanting to renew. He's the top scorer in Serie A and he's my lowest paid player! Is there a chance I can improve the squad enough to convince him to stay? I really don't want him to leave on a free in another year and a half but I don't want to preemptively sell him if he's not even interested in any of the offers we receive. It's baffling.

Edited by Weston

Hi Weston, if you've got a more recent save that displays the current situation we can have a look at it and get back to you. I agree that after a while the player should commit one way or the other.

Cheers,

Andrew

37 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

Hi Weston, if you've got a more recent save that displays the current situation we can have a look at it and get back to you. I agree that after a while the player should commit one way or the other.

Cheers,

Andrew

Just uploaded my latest save "BARI 2022-23 X." Please let me know what you think! I'd like to use the editor to fix any issues that may be present if possible, but I don't want to cheat, you know?

He's even reacting well to me saying I won't let him leave! I'm really hoping you'll tell me this inability to offer him a contract is a bug haha 

image.png

Hi @Weston

Thanks for the fresh save and extra info.

I had a go at accepting an offer from Juventus for Fazio and he rejected the move, but still won't enter talks. This definitely looks like a bug - in my opinion he should be willing to sign a new contract with Bari, probably asking for a release clause in the contract.

I've logged this for our dev team to investigate :thup:

Cheers,

Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew James said:

Hi @Weston

Thanks for the fresh save and extra info.

I had a go at accepting an offer from Juventus for Fazio and he rejected the move, but still won't enter talks. This definitely looks like a bug - in my opinion he should be willing to sign a new contract with Bari, probably asking for a release clause in the contract.

I've logged this for our dev team to investigate :thup:

Cheers,

Andrew

Awesome, thank you for that insight! I suppose I should use the editor to give him a new deal, though I have no idea what it should look like. That winter patch can't come soon enough! 😬

So normally when your player signs a new contract his value increases and the clubs showing interest in signing him become no longer interested as he's just committed to staying, however when using the in-game editor to give a player a new contract neither of these things happen. Is there any way to use the editor to convince him to open negotiations so that it can all happen naturally? Should I just wait another few months and see if this problem goes away? I just don't know how to go about this, especially as I wouldn't really know what a fair deal is for him at this point and would want to see where he would come in at in negotiations, which can't happen. What do you suggest I do?

I've continued play until March and noticed this new bit I'm not was there before. He wants to stay to be captain but still won't sign a new contract.

image.png

Hi @Weston,

Have you got a save game where this is present? If you could upload it for us it should help us get to the bottom of this.

It certainly looks like the player should be willing to sign a new deal but I'll let you know when I get more info.

Cheers,

Andrew

15 hours ago, Andrew James said:

Hi @Weston,

Have you got a save game where this is present? If you could upload it for us it should help us get to the bottom of this.

It certainly looks like the player should be willing to sign a new deal but I'll let you know when I get more info.

Cheers,

Andrew

Uploading two examples, "test afdfsagasgasfg" (sorry) and "BARI 2022-23 X." It seems to go away by April.

I haven't used the editor to change anything yet because I'm hoping that the patch comes out before he reaches pre-contract signing time and just fixes the issue. I figured I'd wait until at least the summer before his last year before messing with it.

Things are complicated now because I think I'll be going to Milan next season, in which case I would really like to sign him and take him with me. So I'm not sure how that will be effected by the bug. He doesn't want to leave now, but he has a great relationship with me, and perhaps he will want to follow me, or perhaps he'll be stuck in this infinite loop forever and I'll have to compete with 100 other clubs for his signature when his deal ends a year later...

Hi Weston, I've passed this on to our Dev team and it is now under review.

Fazio should be willing to sign a new deal at the club.

Cheers,

Andrew

I've since moved to Milan and as my first act signed him so he came with me, in large part because I was afraid if I stayed he'd leave!