Football Manager 2009 patch download details (was authentication and update)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else having problems with the patch?

I'm not using Steam so I have just downloaded the update and it gets most of the way through before saying "Error reading file block 151".

Chris, grab from another location - and try again - it must be corrupt! :eek:

Hi I in new zealand and the activation code isnt working!

it keeps saying that i am not connected to the internet, but i quite clearly am - in that i am typing this right now!

this appears to be the ONLY way of playing the game, so can someone please help me to fix this issue so that i can start to play? Please??:confused:

Was it the date thing? Or am I unique :D

All - Hopefully this gets stickied - but I wanted to outline the solution we found for the problem McGeady10found (to be fair - he sort of found the solution on his own!), but we had encountered it previously.

If you are are using Vista and getting the error: "We're sorry but this installation of Football Manager 2009 could not be activated for the following reason: The application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection."

This seems to be caused by vista being finicky about making a secure connection to the US activation servers. On McGeady10 machine we fixed this by doing the following:

1) We ran a windows update from windowsupdate.microsoft.com

2) We fixed his system clock! <- His clock was set one day ahead.

3) We then restarted his computer

After this series of changes we were able to activate without issue. Step #1 may not be needed - but on this particular computer there was an update of the network card drivers. We believe - (95% at this point) that fixing the system clock *was* the fix but we have not verified as of yet. Please PM me if you have quesion or need any help. I will up and active for the next few hours.

This is taking the micky now. UK/06:00/14th Nov and still no matter what way i try my code via steam or the other one it will not work. This has to be the most frustrating event ever. I now have paid £30 for something that does not work. Now feeling very ripped off and p*ssed off :mad:

This is taking the micky now. UK/06:00/14th Nov and still no matter what way i try my code via steam or the other one it will not work. This has to be the most frustrating event ever. I now have paid £30 for something that does not work. Now feeling very ripped off and p*ssed off :mad:

tspar - pls PM me I will help you get running.

Hi there,

i've installed my copy on my main computer at home. Haven't activated it yet as i'm working right now.

I'm going on a trip this week end. Can i install the game also on my laptop? What about the activation? Is it okay to install it on more than one computer?

thanks in advance

Seb

How to handle error -1003

If you get an error that reads: It would appear what you have attempted to enter is not a valid unlock key. To purchase an unlock key, please visit: Error: [-1003] in the SoftAnchor activation dialog.

This could be because you are understandably mis-keying a 0 or o from the box game label. The 0 and o's are nearly the same on the label and it is very hard to tell which is which. To help handle this SI has provided a look up utility located at: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

When you go here - enter your key as you have entered it activation dialog. The web page will return to you the code in lowercase - with the correct 0's and o's in an easier to read manner. From here you can copy (ctrl-C) the code right from the web page and past it into the activation dialog using the "Paste" button.

The page will normalize 0's and o and also 1's and I's - both of these are difficult to read.

There have also been numerous instances of people mixing up 5 + S and also 7 and T as well as 1 and T. But - the page does not normalize these for you - so be careful entering these values.

If you are COMPLETELY stuck after this - please PM me the error code you are experiencing and we will do our best to make we get your working ASAP!

Anyone else having problems with the patch?

I'm not using Steam so I have just downloaded the update and it gets most of the way through before saying "Error reading file block 151".

I am.... "Cannot run game: Failed to setup graphics system" when i try to launch it after installing the patch. I works fine without the patch!!

I am.... "Cannot run game: Failed to setup graphics system" when i try to launch it after installing the patch. I works fine without the patch!!

T-Man -please try this:

Please note that whilst the update will allow many people with below minimum spec machines / graphics cards who had problems with the demo to get the game up and running, some below-spec graphics cards may require the DirectX 9.0 SDK is installed to run the game. This can be downloaded from the following url: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4

Now we officially know that who plays Football Manager with a Mac is a B-user!

Thank you SI games.:thdn:

Always better.

Hi - this is not the case at all - the MAC version is more stable due to having less of a hardware spread, the immediate priority was fixing the graphics issues on the PC. Your patch will be available very soon - there's only so much we can humanly do.

just to say, i didn't have any problems with activating. also read about user deactivation for reinstalls etc - so i'm very happy with this new approach. (all online authentication should allow user control of the licenses, so well done in having that in)

when i authenticated though, there was only the online option (under uniloc). I had expected a online or phone, with a number listed there - or are the numbers listed somewhere else? anyway all running, now just a few wee whiskeys over the next hour while the patch is downloading

Hi - this is not the case at all - the MAC version is more stable due to having less of a hardware spread, the immediate priority was fixing the graphics issues on the PC. Your patch will be available very soon - there's only so much we can humanly do.

Thxs for this answer Muzchap but it still is a pitty the Mac fix always arrive after pc fix :thdn:

Ok, so I've bought the game in Australia and I'm trying to activate via UNILOC (please don't suggest Steam, just don't).

1. I only have the online option. No phone option or number to call is present.

2. I'm having the same problem as peanut was and tried the fix you suggested to him (deleting the certificate directory) but I'm still getting the "can't connect to the internet" message

Ideas?

Thxs for this answer Muzchap but it still is a pitty the Mac fix always arrive after pc fix :thdn:
Ok, so I've bought the game in Australia and I'm trying to activate via UNILOC (please don't suggest Steam, just don't).

1. I only have the online option. No phone option or number to call is present.

2. I'm having the same problem as peanut was and tried the fix you suggested to him (deleting the certificate directory) but I'm still getting the "can't connect to the internet" message

Ideas?

have you tried all of the following: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61131 (bottom part of post)

Also run a windows update and try a reboot.

thedemo and game ran fine on my machine but now having uploaded the patch I get black triangle shapes flicker all over opening screens!!??

Did you not neccessarily need to patch.. please help!!

Please post PATCH questions in the appropriate forum - this is not an activation request...

yeh, i take it my norton security thing wouldnt affect it or should i try turning it off aswell as my firewall?

Possibly - I know Norton is a nightmare.

I'd reboot - turn off windows firewall (shouldn't need too but please try), turn off Norton and then see what happens.

Muzchap, Ive downloaded it on the desktop now I want to move it onto the Laptop which I have, so how do I go about? Just copy the folder Football Manager 2009 onto a USB and paste in laptop, or does Steam need to be loaded and setup there as well, and etc...?

Later today.

I hope so, it would be better sincerely to check well the game before making it go out. For the one that are a fan of the series is very whipping to have the game in the hands and not to be able to play it.

For the more' seeing that the consumers PC can already play the game.

I am very disappointed by the service offered to the MAC consumers.

Sorry for my English.

i have a boxed copy and installed when prompted using steam. it then updated and said game was ready to launch but when i click launch it brings up a window from SoftAnchor asking for a product key as my trial has expired. when i do this it then sends activation request but keeps saying 'could not connect to internet...'

Archived