UEFA Nations League C doesn't work

BMNJohn

After reading a couple of threads on similar subjects, I decided to roll up my sleeves and see if I could remove (or accurately, extinguish) some nations from Europe to create another entity and get the UEFA Nations League working. And I mean just the Nations' League as a starting point, not necessarily other competitions. As such, I removed all seven ex-Yugoslavia countries and resurrected Yugoslavia. Then I went into modifying the Nations' League to accommodate for the change. I then noticed that SI forgot to add Estonia to the Registered Team category of the Nations' League group C in the database; but considering the vanilla Nations' League still works regardless, I paid no attention to it.

However when I was done with the modifications, I had two outcomes: 1) all Nations' League groups except group C work or 2) Nations League doesn't get drawn at all. Fairly obviously, I haven't been able to reproduce the first outcome ever since. :lol: When I try to use the "Test Competitions" feature, Nations' League C group teams get added to the Team tab of the Nations League, unlike other groups where the teams get added to the Team tab of their respective group. I mean, aside from the Editor complaining about Netherlands Antilles or other UEFA competitions...

First pic displays how it is in the vanilla version: 15 items on the left, 14 on the right with Estonia missing. Second pic is what happens after I create a test: group C teams get plugged in the Nations' League Team tab. And here are the .fmf files for what is worth: the "YugUNL" file doesn't have working Nations League, while "Project UNL" file has all groups except group C working. I don't know why there's a load of other rules in the second file, I had modified it as I found it in another thread. I didn't add those rules, nor did I modify the rules in either of the two files: only the teams and the number of teams per group and number of expected teams in the Nations League. Mysteriously, when I downloaded the same file from the same thread, it didn't have all those additional rules either... I'd say that apart from that, the major difference between the two files is the repartition of the teams: in the first file I tried adding the 49th team to group D (12/12/12/13) repartition, while in the second file I added the 49th team to group A (13/12/12/12).

2019-01-24_12-29-15.png

editor_2019-01-24_17-38-06.png

YugUNL.fmf

Project UNL.fmf

Oh well, fixed it eventually. After looking at it about... another fifteen times, I noticed that unlike every other Nations' League group, group C expects a set number of teams to work. You have to go in Individual Group rules to see the difference. Pictured on the left, Group B (as well as A and D to be honest). On the right, Group C. It kinda explains without really explaining why Group C works even without Estonia being formally in it in the vanilla db.

2019-01-25_06-27-37.png

fm_2019-01-25_06-24-08.png

On 25/01/2019 at 09:34, erikeagles said:

Nice work, did you only put Yugoslavia in or also other new countries 

Maybe is this something for @Timo61

Heh, the files don't work. It just crashes on December 15th. :lol: You also cannot add the leagues when creating a save. It was crashing before adding leagues and after adding leagues; just basic ones to see if it worked. I'm not sure what happens on December 15th, but it very reliably crashes there. There's no Nations' League draw or new stage on that date, it's neither a Champions' League or Europa League draw/stage, and since it was crashing before and after adding leagues, that's not the issue either. The first time I use Test Competitions and Run To Date, the Editor complains about that Netherlands Antilles cannot  be used in the Nations' League. If I insist and run it a second time, I get warned that the UEFA U19 Qualifiers expects 52 teams and is missing 6. If I insist once more, the Editor just crashes. :p

But if you want to know, adding Czechoslovakia would give you 4 groups of 3 teams in the Nations' League for every group, from A to D; 48 teams overall. And since I'm willing to share, here are the two data files: the first one contains all data changes, from nations to peoples. All people who had an ex-Yugoslavian nationality are now Yugoslav, and all people that had a ex-Yugoslavian country as a second nationality now have Yugoslavia as a second nationality. The characteristics from Yugoslavia were ported from Croatia since it's the most reputable country out of the seven nominees. Transfer preferences, attribute templates, Euro coefficients, Tax rules, Wages and Transfer values... everything that was missing. The second file only has the data changes relevant to the Nations' League, so it doesn't work on its own.

Honestly, this isn't something I'm really willing to pursue myself, making everything work is well above my skills with the Editor. I just wanted to see if it was possible. I make no secret that I don't exactly like working in the Editor; I used to spend some time in it, but I'm just completely tired of it. It's also a way bigger project than what I used to do, and as mentioned I do not have nearly enough mastery of the Editor nor willingness to suffer through it to work it out. I'll be happy to lay down whatever knowledge I have to whoever asks.

As an addendum: if you were to simply swap out a country for another one, it obviously works. I've had Yugoslavia replace France in this thread. You will find my comments about this endeavour as well.

Also, the UEFA Nations' League modifications were done thanks to this following thread.

People's Yugo.fmf

UNLv3.fmf

Archived